North American U 20 Chess Championship Round Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North American U 20 Chess Championship Round Reports

As requested, I bring some round highlights.

Round 1

Bar a few disruptions with some players arriving late, everything has went smoothly. The event is very well organized by Patrick and Hal. Well, you're probably more interested in your favourite "hot junior". I have the details!

Mark Plotkin was first to finish, followed by IM Arthur Calugar, both in good style, easily crushing their opponents, as did IM Richard Wang. FM Roman Sapozhnikov suffered against Nicholas Vitesse, but came through in the end, as did FM Jason Cao. FM Razvan has an edge against Zehn Nasir, but the game is still ongoing.

Despite being held to a draw, Edward Song did not create the "biggest upset". On board 6, FM Michael Kleinman (black) suffered a slight accident against Joey Zhong (white) in a marvelous tactical game.

Zhong - FM Kleinman, North Am. U20 Ch., 2014

1. Qxg7?! This is called a Grosvenor in bridge. It's objectively bad, but its strength is based on the opponent not being able to know everything.

1... Bxd4 2.Kh1 Ke7! The critical move. Seems like black's up a piece. What does white have up his sleeve?

3. Bh5 Now it seems like Black's busted against the threats of Qxf7 and Qxf6.

3...Nxh5 Mike rises to the challenge. The point is that the Q on g7 will be hanging in many of the lines.

4. Rxf7

This is the second critical moment. Before you continue reading, have a look for yourself. There are four king moves, what would you play?

Unfortunately Mike played 4... Ke6??. After the thunder 5. Raf1!!, Mike can only show a look of dismay. Now Nxg7 failes since R1f6 is mate. After 5...Qxf7 6.Qxf7 Kd6 7. Qxh5, resistance is futile.

After the game, Mike shows me the true depth of the position. 4... Ke8!! is a beautiful shot! The point is after 5.Qxh8 Kxf7 6.Qxh7 Ke6!!. The queen on c7 is taboo. If 7. Qxc7 Ng3 followed by Rh8 is the denouement

UPDATE: FM Razvan Preotu has won.
    Last edited by Jesse Wang; Thursday, 31st July, 2014, 02:48 PM.

Re: North American U 20 Chess Championship Round Reports

Thanks for the report Jesse! I got a question - I heard that the girls section is merged with the boys section. How does the title handouts work now?
    Shameless self-promotion on display here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

I think move 4 for white was likely Rxf7ch ?
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
        Thanks for the report Jesse! I got a question - I heard that the girls section is merged with the boys section. How does the title handouts work now?
        Hi Bindi. Yes, the sections are merged. The "title handouts" will work as if they were separate sections. I remember Hal and Patrick debating whether or not there will be a preference to pair girls against girls. I do not know what the decision was regarding this.

Comment

Is there a website for this tournament? I don't see it at chess-results.com (perhaps that is not a surprise...)

edit: just found this site: http://www.chessfest.ca/najunior.html

then I saw Rene's post with the obvious question about updates.

Thanks for the report Jesse - otherwise we would have nothing at all so far!
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Any chance to get the full standings and 1st round results on http://www.chessfest.ca/najunior.html today?

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              Is there a website for this tournament? I don't see it at chess-results.com (perhaps that is not a surprise...)
              They use SwissSys so you won't see anything on chess-results.

Comment

Thank you Jesse. Appreciate the effort to keep us up to date.
                Paul Leblanc
                Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                  Thank you Jesse. Appreciate the effort to keep us up to date.
                  Yes, that's a really nice report.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                    Any chance to get the full standings and 1st round results on http://www.chessfest.ca/najunior.html today?
                    http://www.chessfest.ca/standings.html

Thank you

Comment

Another gem from the first round.

Nasir, P. - Tang

White has been suffering for a while. After a hard fight, it seems like he has almost equalized. The American master still has some tricks up his sleeve.

1...e5! a very inventive try.

2.fxe5?? what black was hoping for. Now the trap slams shut. The white king will either be mated or white will lose a rook. After 2... h5 3. Kh4 Kh6

4. Rd6. 4.g4 is equally hopeless in the face of 4...g5 5.Kg3 h4 with mate; only Rg4 avoids mate. 4...f6! Not today! 5. Rxf6 Rxf6 6.gxf6 g5. A picturesque mate!

I must thank Michael von Keitz for inputting the games into Chessbase. I really could not do that many myself!
                      Last edited by Jesse Wang; Thursday, 31st July, 2014, 04:22 PM.

Comment

It's nice to see there is a 65 plus age group championship.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Sorry all, round 2 post will be tomorrow morning.

I'm only a volunteer -- it turned out I had made a calculation error and had to run back to the labs to fix it (unfortunately work is important as it pays for food and rent). So I have not had a chance to look over the games.

I had a look for the first part of round 2 (before I had to scramble back to the University). The general impression to me was that a lot more games were hard fought. To me, IM Richard Wang definitely did not have the easy crush he had this morning! Perhaps my memory is off and / or I'm not a good enough chess player to judge such positions.
                          Last edited by Jesse Wang; Thursday, 31st July, 2014, 09:18 PM.

Comment

What kind of lab?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              It's nice to see there is a 65 plus age group championship.
                              Is that really true?

Comment

Working...
                              X