Re: North American U 20 Chess Championship Round Reports

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
    Round 5 results?
    They should be up soon at chessfest.ca.

Comment

Round 5 results?
      Rene, there was a draw on the top board, Tanraj beat Roman on board 2, Richard beat Michael on board 3, Safal beat Michael on board 4, Andrew evidently beat Jason in a wild time scramble on board 5, Alena beat Mike on board 6 (in the last game to finish), your son Razvan beat Wenyang on board 7, Mark beat Arthur on board 8, and I believe (but am not 100% certain) James beat Simone on board 9.

Thus, Akshat and Tanraj are joint 1st (and meet in R6) with 4.5, Edward, Richard, Safal, and Andrew are all a 1/2 point behind with 4.0, and the other winners cited sit a point back with 3.5.

Comment

Thank you. The results are now posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
          Thus, Akshat and Tanraj are joint 1st (and meet in R6) with 4.5, Edward, Richard, Safal, and Andrew are all a 1/2 point behind with 4.0, and the other winners cited sit a point back with 3.5.
          Should be an easy win for Akshat. He has been playing great chess.

Comment

Don't underestimate Tanraj's chances. 2013 BC Closed, BC Open and BC Junior Champion.
            Paul Leblanc
            Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
              Should be an easy win for Akshat. He has been playing great chess.

With 3 more rounds he still has to beat more players. Last year he lost 2 games in the first 3 rounds (double Swiss Gambit) and won 1st place and the IM title. Looks like this year he has a different strategy.

Comment

With 3 more rounds he still has to beat more players. Last year he lost 2 games in the first 3 rounds (double Swiss Gambit) and won 1st place and the IM title. Looks like this year he has a different strategy.
                My apologies Rene for the confusion. By "easy win" I didn't intend it to mean "it will be easy for him to win the tournament". As a matter of fact, he wasn't my pick to win the tournament, and still isn't with three rounds to go. I meant to say that his game vs. Tanraj should be an easy win.
                Last edited by Andy Shaw; Saturday, 2nd August, 2014, 08:44 PM.

Comment

On a side note, any pictures from the event available?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                    I meant to say that his game vs. Tanraj should be an easy win.
                    Yet another fatuous comment by Andy Shaw!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                      Yet another fatuous comment by Andy Shaw!
                      Eh, at least he's better than Paul Bonham. I don't even mind the posts anymore, he seems to be trying.
                      Shameless self-promotion on display here
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Current standing for the North American Junior (U20) and the Canadian Veterans (50 ) and the Canadian Seniors (65 ) and the Canadian Amateur are all available at:
                        http://www.chessfest.ca/standings.html

Current pairings for the*North American Junior (U20) and the Canadian Veterans (50 ) and the Canadian Seniors (65 ) and the Canadian Amateur are all available at:
                        http://www.chessfest.ca/pairings.html

Games from the North American Junior (U20) can be viewed / played through at:
                        http://www.chessfest.ca/livegames/chessfest_theatre.htm

Enjoy!
                        ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
                        Patrick McDonald

:D********;)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick McDonald View Post
                          Current standing for the North American Junior (U20) and the Canadian Veterans (50 ) and the Canadian Seniors (65 ) and the Canadian Amateur are all available at:
                          http://www.chessfest.ca/standings.html

Current pairings for the*North American Junior (U20) and the Canadian Veterans (50 ) and the Canadian Seniors (65 ) and the Canadian Amateur are all available at:
                          http://www.chessfest.ca/pairings.html

Games from the North American Junior (U20) can be viewed / played through at:
                          http://www.chessfest.ca/livegames/chessfest_theatre.htm

Enjoy!
                          Thank you Patrick. Appreciate the effort to keep us up to date with your reports.

Comment

R7 has not been updated as yet, but there's a new leader as Andrew Tang beat Akshat Chandra. Thus Andrew has 6.0 and Akshat 5.5. Joining Akshat at 5.5 is a 3rd American, Safal Bora. There are 4 players a further 1/2 point back with 5.0, namely, Richard Wang, Edward Song, Tanrah Sohal, and Zehn Nasir. If there was a winner in the Terry Song - Michael Kleinman game, he would also have 5, but I believe that game may have been drawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                              R7 has not been updated as yet, but there's a new leader as Andrew Tang beat Akshat Chandra. Thus Andrew has 6.0 and Akshat 5.5. Joining Akshat at 5.5 is a 3rd American, Safal Bora. There are 4 players a further 1/2 point back with 5.0, namely, Richard Wang, Edward Song, Tanrah Sohal, and Zehn Nasir. If there was a winner in the Terry Song - Michael Kleinman game, he would also have 5, but I believe that game may have been drawn.
                              Thank you.

Any pairings for round 8?

Comment

Thank you.

Any pairings for round 8?
                                Michael Kleinman did, in fact, win his game, so also has 5.0.

Andrew Tang is playing Safal Bora on board 1. I believe Akshat Chandra is playing Richard Wang on board 2, Michael Kleinman vs Tanraj Sohal on board 3, and this one I know for sure, Edward Song is playing my son, Zehn, on board 4 (:

Comment

Working...
                                X