Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: North American U 20 Chess Championship Round Reports

Originally posted by Zehn Nasir View Post
    hey John, will you be posting more pictures of the North American Junior ? If so post the link in the thread, the 13 i've seen so far are quite amusing :)
    Glad U like them.

Those were the best. I might post more in a week or so, but I want to finish the current CCN first (probably by Monday), and I took nearly 1000 pix in Montreal at the CYCC and CO and I've posted only a few of those.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
      I took nearly 1000 pix in Montreal at the CYCC and CO and I've posted only a few of those.
      Can imagine how much work is required to look over and select. I try to follow a rule - one picture per person, it makes a life easier for viewers too.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        Can imagine how much work is required to look over and select. I try to follow a rule - one picture per person, it makes a life easier for viewers too.
        For sure it is very time consuming to look over photos and select appropriate ones to post. I think you really have to enjoy the photo capturing, editting, and posting process. When I have done it for the WYCC, NAYCC, BC Senior, CYCC, and Canadian Open, I think about the person whose picture I am posting. Is this a flattering photo or one that (if it were me) would make me wince? Taking pictures of kids esp. you need to think about the child and the parents and how they may feel about the picture.

Taking multiple shots of the same player enables the photographer to choose an appropriate photo to use. I have seen others take pics and upload -- and it is obvious that they did not edit. I took literally hundreds of photos at this year's CYCC (and Can Open), did a quick edit and scan, and then a timely upload to Facebook. Even though the whole process took a little extra time, I think the result was well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          I try to follow a rule - one picture per person, it makes a life easier for viewers too.

"The best way to have good ideas is to have lots of ideas."
          - Linus Pauling

So I guess I follow what we might call "Linus Pauling's Rule":
          "The best way to have good X is to have lots of X."

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
            Agree, but you should def. mention that AC withdrew as soon as his chance for a GM norm was gone.
            He's playing last round at 2014 Washington International against IM Samuel Sevian. He must win to get the GM norm. Samuel only needs a draw to get the GM norm. Round 9 starts at 3pm today.
            Last edited by Rene Preotu; Wednesday, 3rd September, 2014, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
              Guess what! He's playing last round at 2014 Washington International against IM Samuel Sevian. He must win to get the GM norm. Samuel only needs a draw to get the GM norm. Round 9 starts at 3pm today.
              I'm pulling for Samuel, Rene. I can't stand players who withdraw from tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                I'm pulling for Samuel, Rene. I can't stand players who withdraw from tournaments.
                Is that stand Thoreauvian too?

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
                  Is that stand Thoreauvian too?
                  I don't believe Thoreau ever withdrew from a chess tournament, Francis (:

He did refuse to pay his poll tax however, spurning perhaps the greatest essay ever written, 'On The Duty of Civil Disobedience' (:

Comment

Akshat is a very smart kid. Don't blame him for his father's decisions.
                    Last edited by Rene Preotu; Wednesday, 3rd September, 2014, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                      Akshat is a very smart kid. Don't blame him for his father's decisions.
                      I'll wax Thoreauvian on you, Rene, and say that Akshat should not have obeyed his father (:

Comment

I'll wax Thoreauvian on you, Rene, and say that Akshat should not have obeyed his father (:
                        ... and what? Not have a flight home?

Comment

I don't believe Thoreau ever withdrew from a chess tournament, Francis (:

(:
                          Ahem...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Maguire
                          I'm pulling for Samuel, Rene. I can't stand players who withdraw from tournaments

These are children (parent-responsible).
                          I'm not a fan of overt bias towards kids.
                          Leave them innocent.

Comment

Working...
                          X