CFC Ratings update this week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Ratings update this week

The rating update will be a little late this week.
    I am targeting 2pm today for completion.

I won't bore you all with reasons/ excuses!

We should be back to regular wednesday evening updates next week. :)

Re: CFC Ratings update this week

Finally, ratings are up for the week.

Canadian Open is rated, except for section C. Infamous section C continues to evade. We should be able focus on it next week. There was just too much else happening this week.
    Anyhow, all sections had their challenges. I would be surprised if they were error free. Please report any/all discrepancies to the CFC office. :)

Also, 2 late Mississauga tournaments (thursdays) did not make it in. Some technical problems.
    And, a couple of corrections from CYCC are still outstanding. Oops!
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 7th August, 2014, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Hi Bob. As I mentioned in an e-mail to you, please pay special attention to forfeits in this event. There were a large number in the early rounds and the CFC policy is to rate a forfeited game unless the TD determines that the forfeit was beyond the control of the defaulting player.
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        Also, 2 late Mississauga tournaments (thursdays) did not make it in. Some technical problems.
        Potential discrepancies between the submitted initial player's ratings versus the most current ones.

Comment

No ratings update yet, as of 10.30 Wednesday evening.

Comment

Almost done John. My internet has been down for a couple of hours. :(

Got them in Ferdinand. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand Supsup View Post
              Potential discrepancies between the submitted initial player's ratings versus the most current ones.
              No. Other TD's have expressed the same concern, that if you use the incorrect ratings for your pairings, then it will screw up the rating calculation. It won't. The rating system ignores whatever rating you have used, and uses the current ratings stored in the CFC database.

Of those two Mississauga tournaments, the second one went in okay, smooth as butter. But the first one, I never did understand what the problem was. I had to go back and rebuild the files in SwissSys.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                Hi Bob. As I mentioned in an e-mail to you, please pay special attention to forfeits in this event. There were a large number in the early rounds and the CFC policy is to rate a forfeited game unless the TD determines that the forfeit was beyond the control of the defaulting player.
                Paul. I finally got the infamous section C rated this week. It was major fight and I was unable to verify that all the forfeited games are in correctly. We will have to make the corrections for next week. Please report any errors to the CFC office and we'll make the corrections.

Comment

Good grief, 2.54 am. I thought I was a nighthawk.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                    Good grief, 2.54 am. I thought I was a nighthawk.
                    You and Bob are obviously highly intelligent, John. And Francis must be a near Einstein given he only sleeps something like 2 hours a night (:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-morning-larks

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                      You and Bob are obviously highly intelligent, John. And Francis must be a near Einstein given he only sleeps something like 2 hours a night (:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-morning-larks
                      Unfortunately my mind never sleeps, it's incessantly churning over, so the
                      two hours are fitful at best. Inane traversing, endlessly calculating, sigh. :-(

Jack, on the other hand, is far better read than I - more Einstenian definitely!

Comment

I'm hoping the organizers and TDs from the Canadian Open are reviewing Bob's work. I have no way of knowing from out here in Victoria who forfeited and who didn't. I did notice that Section C had a few unusual players named "zzz,zzz", complete with CFC membership numbers.
                        Paul Leblanc
                        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

I'm hoping the organizers and TDs from the Canadian Open are reviewing Bob's work. I have no way of knowing from out here in Victoria who forfeited and who didn't. I did notice that Section C had a few unusual players named "zzz,zzz", complete with CFC membership numbers.
                          That guy zzz,zzz is rather famous here in Eastern Canada - very tough in middlegame; plays a lot of tournaments.
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : Re: CFC Ratings update this week

It took some time to look at which games should be rated or not. Some players were registered and never showed up, in which case the games are rated. Some players did warn us and were still paired (often because they didn't send an email to the good person, left a phone message in the middle of the night or by a bad communication on our part etc.). In this case the games are not rated.
                            One of the major issues we had is that many players did not report that they had won their game by default. They only wrote down 1-0 or 0-1 after an hour and left... In these cases, the player was often paired again the round after and would lose again by default (although we did catch a lot of such cases by ourselves).

There's at least one player who must be pretty happy of his tournament : http://chess.ca/players?check_rating...bd2aafa0b971a1

Comment

That guy zzz,zzz is Bob G after being up till 2.54 am doing rating updates.

Comment

Working...
                              X