"prodigy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "prodigy"

Changing CFC fees is something that only the CFC voting members (formerly know as governors) can do. The LTIP program along with the rest of the handbook no longer exist. If we want to bring it back someone will have to make the effort to bring it back. At the moment there is lots of pressure on the CFC budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      Changing CFC fees is something that only the CFC voting members (formerly know as governors) can do. The LTIP program along with the rest of the handbook no longer exist. If we want to bring it back someone will have to make the effort to bring it back. At the moment there is lots of pressure on the CFC budget.
      Hi Vlad.

What if the CFC could support the first tournament here, the Lakecity Chess Open, and not spend a penny.
      "Supported by the Canadian Federation of Chess. The Canadian Federation of Chess, established in 1872 , welcomes Lakecity Chess Open participants to the national chess community as members". Or something like that, something special."We'd put that in the newspapers and radio here, on posters and whatever else we can put it on. It's apparent that newspaper coverage gets around nationally.

If there is any literature about the benefits of being a member, history maybe some events like Fischer playing in Canada, we could have it here, post it and tout it.
      A one time, one year membership, for youths and adults. We could charge $15 - $20 as an entry fee. We could use the proceeds for our prize fund and trophies and stuff for kids. The memberships into the CFC and the cash proceeds would be great support.
      There are going to be kids, maybe lots. We've a few teachers working on it. There are some good players up here. Many played lots of chess some time ago, somewhere else, came here to raise a family and work.

I realize the CFC would have to process the data.
      This incentive would have a very small impact on the CFC budget. The fees don't need to be changed, the CFC would be donating the memberships for this one time.
      I would guess the voting members would have to vote on the donation of memberships

For next year's tournament it would be business as usual. I'm sure the CFC goodwill and presence would inspire some kids maybe even a prodigy. I'm pretty sure the CFC would gain some new, repeat, paying members.
      This whole venture would be more work for us..but we are willing to put forth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Richardson View Post
        There are going to be kids, maybe lots.
        Scott, are you aware that juniors only tournaments do not require CFC memberships? It's true!
        So, have a juniors only section, no memberships required. We still rate their games, they get a CFC ID number and a CFC rating. They feel like real CFC members even though they haven't paid any dues yet.
        Your strong ambitious juniors will want to play with the adults. So, let them play in the adult section. They will require CFC memberships, but trust me, they won't mind paying it. Whenever I have to explain to parents of juniors playing in their first adult tournament that membership dues are now required, it is never an issue. Besides, there is a cheap tournament fee option, but almost always (95%) they will opt for the annual membership.

As for the entry fee, IMHO, entry fee s/b minimum $25.

If you have the volunteers and kids, financing a junior tournament is childs' play!
        Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Sunday, 17th August, 2014, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Scott, I think the BCCF is a more logical place to look for support. It is part of our mandate to support chess in BC.
          Let's talk about what we can do for you.
          Paul Leblanc
          Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
            Scott, I think the BCCF is a more logical place to look for support. It is part of our mandate to support chess in BC.
            Let's talk about what we can do for you.
            Hey Scott, I agree with Paul. It looks like it will be far easier for you and your group to get some financial support from BCCF. Paul and I briefly talked about your situation. Paul is willing to it bring forward to the BCCF Execs and I will also support it.

In addition, you mentioned that it will be on October 18th, which indicates to me that it will be an one day event. So, can I assume that the time control is less than 60 mins? If so, if you rate it with CFC, it will only be CFC Active rated. What you are proposing to Vlad and Bob would make more sense for your players if your tournament could be CFC Regular rated. This would require a minimum time control of 60 mins and thus you will need a multi-day tournament event.

Some other options that you can look into is having the event Chess 'N Math (CMA) rated, even if your event has a mix of juniors and adults. CMA is a wonderful organizations led by Larry Bevand and has supported many, many chess events as well as helped a great many junior Canadian players.

I have some other ideas for you, if you want to continue this conversation over email or phone.

Victoria

Comment

Thank you Paul and Victoria for offers of help from the BC Chess Federation. Bravo!
              I hope the BCCF can help make the Lakecity Chess Open a success.
              I do applaud Scott and his crew for their efforts to bring chess to new areas and wish them success!

Scott, the CFC can offer advertising for your tournament on our website, newsfeed, and newsletter. Please take advantage of these free services.

I hope you can appreciate the difficulties in direct financial support from the CFC to any specific tournament or club. Negotiating such support over chesstalk will not work. The CFC needs to have a national program giving all organizers an equal chance to participate. The LTIP program was developed to do that, but needs to be updated to be relevant. Hopefully, a voting member (governor) will take up the cause.
              Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 18th August, 2014, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                Thank you Paul and Victoria for offers of help from the BC Chess Federation. Bravo!
                I hope the BCCF can help make the Lakecity Chess Open a success.
                I do applaud Scott and his crew for their efforts to bring chess to new areas and wish them success!

Scott, the CFC can offer advertising for your tournament on our website, newsfeed, and newsletter. Please take advantage of these free services.

I hope you can appreciate the difficulties in direct financial support from the CFC to any specific tournament or club. Negotiating such support over chesstalk will not work. The CFC needs to have a national program giving all organizers an equal chance to participate. The LTIP program was developed to do that, but needs to be updated to be relevant. Hopefully, a voting member (governor) will take up the cause.
                Again thank you for bringing the LTIP program up.
                Lots of talk on chesstalk about bringing in new members and finding sponsorships...:D

I must have a wrong email address for you Paul. I had emailed a couple of days ago. Will pm. No phone service Victoria, I will pm.
                Last edited by Scott Richardson; Monday, 18th August, 2014, 12:41 PM. Reason: an add-on

Comment

pc-leblanc@shaw.ca
                  Paul Leblanc
                  Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Working...
                  X