Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what they usually say ....

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post

Since Nigel considers my post trolling, I would like to hear from others, possibly the moderator.
    You're both getting in some "free" ones. Kettle - Pot.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: no talk of war crimes? Who'd of thunk it?

Note the following points in the article you presented:

"The Ukrainian authorities must not replicate the lawlessness and abuses that have prevailed in areas previously held by separatists,” said Salil Shetty, Amnesty International Secretary General from Kyiv."

"The Ukrainian Prime Minister expressed the government's commitment to bringing all perpetrators of conflict related abuses to account."
      "Amnesty International welcomes the Ukrainian government's commitment to restore and ensure justice in the conflict affected areas. We will hold them to this promise,"

As I read the article, it appears that there is a rogue volunteer batillion commiting these acts, and the government was not properly controlling them.

If the government clamps down, and brings the batilion leaders to justice, then your description of the Ukrainian government as a brutal regime is excessive. From the sound of the article, the separists were comitting similar acts.

Besides, from the sounds of things, the Ukaine has caved in and agreed to practically all of the separists/Russia's demands. The area will be essentially a semi-autonous state within the Ukraine. Doesn't sound like the acts of brutal regime to me.
      Hi Garland:

The Donetsk Peoples' Republic, and the Luhansk Peoples' Republic (the areas Ukraine refers to as the Donbass Region), the entities self-declared "countries", have already publicly stated that they in no way will accept some special status within Ukraine (which is the gist of the recent Ukrainian law just passed on this). Statehood is all they want, up until now. The Question: Will they compromise in future negotiations with Ukraine, with Russia in the background (not totally clear what Putin wants - has argued for statehood discussions for DPR and LPR, but today Russia lauded Ukraine for the special status law)?

Bob A

Comment

Re: ChessTalk - RIP

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
        Personally I feel the idea of creating a CFC chess server is foolish. There are not nearly enough CFC members nor will there ever be to justify the software development and server costs.
        You're right. I think they missed the boat. You can't have 10 minutes back much less 10 years.

I never signed up a single correspondence member without some cost. The interesting part to me is this. Maybe I shouldn't rub it in but it kind of tickles my funny bone.

The CFC web site shows they have a little over 800 adult members. When I started with the CCCA, in pretty much the same position as Jonathan was doing with the CFC, there were a little over 300 members. I built the adult membership to within 100 of what the CFC currently has now. The CCCA topped out at around 700 members and then held steady. Truth be told, I didn't want to grow the CCCA much more than that. It was about the limit of what I could handle along with my day job and still keep the members happy.

Failure is a culture. It's often a choice. Often comes from laziness. It's not in my vocabulary. Success is the way to go and someone has to decide what the membership should be and map out a plan to get there. I think they are spending a lot of money to get administration done.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: ChessTalk - RIP

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          It seems that the blame for the lack of CFC membership is ascribed to the rise in popularity of online chess. To some, therefore, the "solution" must be to get in that space too.

Many people are reducing their real-world encounters in favour of (possibly anonymous) interaction on the Internet - this is not necessarily a good thing but the jury is still out.
          Online everything is popular these days. I was in the oncology waiting room this morning at the local hospital. Check up. Lots of readers and game playing devices. People like it and what's not to like about that as a way of passing time.

Maybe I shouldn't tell you this but: My wife has cast off the shackles of her knitting needles. She's into her reader, the games and the browser. At least I don't have to share my Ipad.

I have a Blackberry Playbook I never use and the Ipad which I do use. The difference between the two is the Ipad has more fun things I can do and more Apps that interest me. Just because two things basically do the same thing doesn't make them equally attractive to the customer.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Bob, here is a very interesting reading about what's happening in Ukraine. Highly recommended. http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n17/keith-g...-kill-them-all

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
              Bob, here is a very interesting reading about what's happening in Ukraine. Highly recommended. http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n17/keith-g...-kill-them-all
              Hi Sasha:

Thanks. Most interesting and detailed.

We have been trying to follow the Donbass Region proceedings at Chess Posts of Interest (CPI), a FB chess/life discussion group of Cooperative Chess Coalition (CCC):https://www.facebook.com/groups/coop...hesscoalition/ . You may find it of interest as well......it documents, with article sources, this conflict from the beginning.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post

Probably not. This is all about brainwashing and fooling Ukrainian-Canadian voters. Too bad the NDP and Liberals aren't able to provide any sort of alternative.
                Do you have credible sources for your above comments? Or are they a violation of the General Guidelines - Debate - no. 9?

9. Give an opinion and back it up with a reason. Throwaway comments such as "Game X pwnz because my friend and I think so!" could be considered pointless at best, and inflammatory at worst.
                p.s. You wrote no. 9
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Nigel, surely somewhere on the internet there must be a 'Slavic Politics' chat room where you could go and be among friends. Of course, with your luck there'll probably be someone there who insists on making inflammatory posts about chess.:)
                  "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                  "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                  "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

As I read the article, it appears that there is a rogue volunteer batillion commiting these acts, and the government was not properly controlling them.
                    The Kiev government made public statements to the effect that as long as these "rogue" battallions were fighting alongside the regular troops, they didn't care much about their politics (fascist, for many of them, and well documented) or anything else they did.

Besides, from the sounds of things, the Ukraine has caved in and agreed to practically all of the separists/Russia's demands. The area will be essentially a semi-autonous state within the Ukraine. Doesn't sound like the acts of brutal regime to me.
                    What Putin wants and what the Novorossians want are 2 different things. The Novorossians (DNR and LPR in the Donbass, basically), after their own government bombed them, killing hundreds and creating upwards of a million refugees, will never accept the rule of Kiev. Imagine if Canada bombed Quebec. Putin, OTOH, will deal with whoever is in power. He has to.

Ukraine is now a failed state, like Libya, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. and all the other countries blessed by US "assistance". What will replace it will be a set of countries that resemble the former Yugoslavia.

But don't take my word for it. Even the Washington Post has an article acknowledging this eventuality...

Ukraine’s breakaway region is becoming a de facto country
                    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Wednesday, 17th September, 2014, 06:03 PM. Reason: Washington Post agrees
                    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Imagine if Canada bombed Quebec.
                      Imagine that Québécois will go with weapons, tanks, armored car etc.
                      Nata Navodylo

Comment

But don't take my word for it. Even the Washington Post has an article acknowledging this eventuality...

Ukraine’s breakaway region is becoming a de facto country
                        The Washington Times - Sunday, October 12, 2008

KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe’s next war? http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-war/?page=all
                        Nata Navodylo

Comment

Working...
                        X