CFC bonus points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC bonus points

I am not sure what to think of these CFC bonus points that you receive for achieving an all time high etc. It is hard to tell how much better your getting at chess since your getting these bonus points which inflate your rating.
    Besides if I plan on playing tournaments in the United States in the near future they are going to take my inflated CFC rating to put me in the corresponding USCF tournament section.

Re: CFC bonus points

Originally posted by Mate Milinkovic View Post
    I am not sure what to think of these CFC bonus points that you receive for achieving an all time high etc. It is hard to tell how much better your getting at chess since your getting these bonus points which inflate your rating.
    Besides if I plan on playing tournaments in the United States in the near future they are going to take my inflated CFC rating to put me in the corresponding USCF tournament section.
    Mate, c'mon dude. :(
    You started the year with a rating of 1768.
    You have played 98 rated regular games so far this year.
    You've probably studying your ass off,
    and now your rating is 1884, a gain of 116.

It sounds like the rating and bonus system is working just fine.
    Nay, you're probably right, you are overrated!!!! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
      Mate, c'mon dude. :(
      You started the year with a rating of 1768.
      You have played 98 rated regular games so far this year.
      You've probably studying your ass off,
      and now your rating is 1884, a gain of 116.

It sounds like the rating and bonus system is working just fine.
      Nay, you're probably right, you are overrated!!!! :)
      1) You're improving when you notice your opponents are playing worse.
      2) You're improving when you play 100 games a year and do not lose rating points.
      3) You're improving if you can maintain your rating playing against adults.

i) You're not improving if you got rating gains from beating the same people 100 points lower rated than you.
      ii) You're not improving if you look at your games from 1 year ago and think you played brilliantly.
      iii) You're not improving if your winning streak to Bob Gillanders was snapped in the past 12 months.

Comment

We went over ratings and results for a few previous years before we determined that there was a co-relation between players reaching new personal highs and future performance. We considered that a 20 point bonus for achieving a new life time high would be justified by the data. It has been 3 years since the bonus point formula has been implemented and there are no signs of inflation or deflation so far.
        Of course someone who is improving their results in Canada but is not active in the US will have a temporary rating differential.
        Paul Leblanc
        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Hi Paul,

I am very interested in ratings being a good measure of quality over time and have a few questions.
          • Which statistical measure shows a correlation between reaching all-time high and improved play? I understand that this all-time bonus study had been done on a less generous performance rating system and I am wondering if the new performance bonuses still justify the all-time-high bonus.
          • Using which statistical measure(s) or indicators are we seeing no ratings inflation?
          • Have we ever investigated a) having higher K-factors for lower rated/junior players, b) having provisional ratings for lower rated/junior players c) having a cap on the maximum number of bonus points from a single tournament.

Having said that, I think the biggest distorter of ratings are small pools caused by:

a) Predominantly local play. Clubs that do not have juniors often export rating points on weekends as adults are giving free points to lower quality juniors due to unenergetic play and fear of losing to a junior.
          b) Fixed sections. There is easier way to gain rating points than beating a player ceding 100 points in strength and who you know well. This happens a lot in fixed sections. If every tournament is Open U2000 U1600 then there will be an abnormal number of players near the cutoffs.

Comment

It is possible for your chess ability to get worse and your rating to go up if the people you play against are getting worse at a faster pace than you are, and it is possible for you to get better at chess and have your rating go down if the people you are playing against are getting better faster than you are. Ratings are always relative, they are never an absolute measure.

Comment

Instead of patchwork we (CFC) should adopt Mark Glickman's modification.
              http://www.glicko.net/

Comment

Working...
              X