Qiyu Zhou: WYCC Champ (history made)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Qiyu Zhou: WYCC Champ (history made)

As I said on Facebook, congratulations to Qiyu but also to her mother!
    At first, they weren't even sure if Qiyu would participate in the CYCC at all. But now that she won the WYCC, all our efforts to organize the CYCC and to convince her to play are worth it a thousand times :) I would offer her free entry in our future tournaments, but as a national master it was already free :) Does anyone know if she gets a title or a norm?

Regarding the media, they unfortunately often take a lot of time to answer. There are websites and agencies that allow to quickly send the information to all major media. I believe Richard could do it, as he did for the CYCC, but I guess he might be very busy now (as the head of delegation) and might not have access to Internet for some time... Maybe someone at the CFC has similar experience?

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
      Does anyone know if she gets a title or a norm?
      http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...3&view=article
      For U14
      Gold – WIM norm
      1st equal – title WFM
      Gold = first after tiebreak; 1st equal = best 3 players after tiebreak; norm = 9 games (unless otherwise specified)

Comment

Thanks.
        I nearly forgot, but there's someone else we should congratulate : Aman Hambleton. I don't think it's a coincidence if the kids he coached did so well (although we should obviously credit their respective coaches for the rest of the year as well). I heard great comments about his coaching skills, so I hope he will be there again next year (with perhaps a better salary? ;)).

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
          Congratulations Qiyu.

Many times I was attending events there she was playing, including 1 Olympiad and 3 WYCC. She is so charming, friendly and nice girl!

Just don't stop here, you can achieve much more in chess!
          Very well said Victor. This year's Olympiad is still fresh in my mind, and it was delightful to see the continuous positive energy from Qiyu and her Mom. A wonderful young lady with gracious parents, very happy for them!!!

Comment

I fully expect Qiyu to establish some new Canadian chess history in 2015 by becoming the first of our 5 WYCC Champions to return to the WYCC the following year. Neither Jeff or Julia Sarwer returned in 1987 for circumstances beyond their control (having to live on the lam for many years) and neither Jason Cao nor Harmony Zhu opted to return to the WYCC the year after their championship wins.

Not only should Qiyu return next year but she'll also still be a top seed in her U16 Junior year. At the moment, Qiyu is the 4th highest rated U14 girl in the world and when the calendar rolls around to 2015, she'll become the #8 U16 in the world if current ratings hold. Interestingly enough, the 3 U14 girls currently rated above Qiyu, will retain their 1/2/3 status in the U16 girls. The 4 U16 junior girls (i.e. born in 1999) currently are only slightly higher rated than Qiyu and Qiyu would have likely passed 3 of them had she won her game today.

Qiyu's toughest opponent next year could well be the #3 ranked U14, Stavroula Tosakidou, from Greece, who'll not only be playing on her home turf but also won the Silver Medal in this year's U16G with the same score as Qiyu, 8.5/11. For some reason, Stavroula opted to play in the U16G in lieu of the U14G.

http://www.chess-results.com/tnr1442...flag=30&wi=984

Now that Qiyu has 2 WYCC medals (U8G Silver & U14G Gold, I see no reason why she can't complete the hat trick next year in Greece (:

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
              Depends on your definition of 'major' I guess, but

2013 - Commonwealth Chess Championship, South Africa
              2011 - Commonwealth Chess Championship, South Africa
              2004 - FIDE World Championship, Libya
              1985 - Tunis Interzonal, Tunisia
              1981 - International tournament, Johannesburg (Andersson, Korchnoi, Hübner, Nunn)
              1979 - International tournament, Johannesburg (Korchnoi, Unzicker, Miles, Lein)
              1967 - Sousse Interzonal, Tunisia
              shouldn't that read 2004 FIDE World Team Championship (e.g. Olympiad)?

Comment

Googling Qiyu Zhou under Google News, I still only get hits in the Polish press (celebrating Oliwa Kiolbasa's Silver Medal) and the Indian press (celebrating Ramesh Babu Vaishali's Bronze Medal). Still nothing in the Canadian press as yet for Qiyu's Gold Medal. Surely Silver and Bronze Medals are not more newsworthy (:

Comment

I also like the 375 precious Elo points that our team is bringing home!

Comment

Congratulations!

I wonder who her coach is, and if he/she is more interesting than a hamster.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      Congratulations Qiyu!!

Fantastic effort and great determination. You have made all of us proud.
                      Absolutely!

Congrats!

Larry

Comment

Jack wrote:

I fully expect Qiyu to establish some new Canadian chess history in 2015 by becoming the first of our 5 WYCC Champions to return to the WYCC the following year. Neither Jeff or Julia Sarwer returned in 1987 for circumstances beyond their control (having to live on the lam for many years) and neither Jason Cao nor Harmony Zhu opted to return to the WYCC the year after their championship wins.
                        Jeff did play in the 1988 U14 event (at the age of 10) - scoring roughly 50%. He lost to Sofia Polgar in round 2. (Alexandre Lesiege played in the U16 at the same time)

Stephen wrote:

Depends on your definition of 'major' I guess, but

2013 - Commonwealth Chess Championship, South Africa
                        2011 - Commonwealth Chess Championship, South Africa
                        2004 - FIDE World Championship, Libya
                        1985 - Tunis Interzonal, Tunisia
                        1981 - International tournament, Johannesburg (Andersson, Korchnoi, Hübner, Nunn)
                        1979 - International tournament, Johannesburg (Korchnoi, Unzicker, Miles, Lein)
                        1967 - Sousse Interzonal, Tunisia
                        Let's not forget the "other" Olympiad held in Tripoli in 1976 (the year the Olympiad was held in Haifa, Israel). Few games are available.

http://www.olimpbase.org/1976x/1976in.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
                          Congratulations!

I wonder who her coach is, and if he/she is more interesting than a hamster.
                          I guess you didn't read Felix Dumont's post at 2:01, Tony.

Comment

No - 2004 was one of the FIDE knock-out championships, won by Kasimdzhanov; the Canadian representative was Pascal Charbonneau.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                              I guess you didn't read Felix Dumont's post at 2:01, Tony.
                              Felix mentioned Aman because he was part of the WYCC team.
                              Qiyu coach is the Romanian GM Gergely Szabo. He also works with Razvan and 2 other talented Canadian juniors. I know that he trained Alexandra Botez before she started her studies at Stanford.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                                Felix mentioned Aman because he was part of the WYCC team.
                                Qiyu coach is the Romanian GM Gergely Szabo. He also works with Razvan and 2 other talented Canadian juniors. I know that he trained Alexandra Botez before she started her studies at Stanford.
                                Thanks for the disabuse, Rene. Kevin Spraggett also misleads then at his site since he has pictures of Qiyu "alongside coach Aman".

Comment

Working...
                                X