Qiyu Zhou: WYCC Champ (history made)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Qiyu Zhou: WYCC Champ (history made)

Patience, Jack. The Canadian press is just a little slower. I know that the local news agencies here in Ottawa are quite interested in the story. Give it a day.

Comment

Congrats Qiyu,

Here is the link to the closing ceremonies.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcNwWw2qZiQ

Move forward to 1 hour 9 minutes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post

Now that Qiyu has 2 WYCC medals (U8G Silver & U14G Gold, I see no reason why she can't complete the hat trick next year in Greece (:
        Completing the hat trick would imply finishing with bronze. Sorry. I don't think so. She'll have to be content with a second gold. Maybe we can see Harmony Zhu play again and we can have two or more golds by the Canadian players in one year.

Comment

The 'Ottawa Citizen' is the first Canadian paper out of the gate with a Qiyu news item. It does contain one inaccuracy, however. The silver medalist, Oliwia Kiolbasa, also went undefeated so Qiyu was not the only girl to accomplish that feat. Both Qiyu and Oliwia had the same 6 wins and 5 draws.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...ess-tournament

Comment

Thanks for the disabuse, Rene. Kevin Spraggett also misleads then at his site since he has pictures of Qiyu "alongside coach Aman".
            This is also how Qiyu's mother presented Aman on the pictures on Facebook. While he is not her coach for the "rest of the year", as I said in my last post, he was her coach on site and prepared her for her games (http://canadianwycc2014.wordpress.co...h-assignments/).

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
              Completing the hat trick would imply finishing with bronze. Sorry. I don't think so. She'll have to be content with a second gold. Maybe we can see Harmony Zhu play again and we can have two or more golds by the Canadian players in one year.
              If I implied Bronze, I apologize, Vlad (:

And Harmony's dad tells me she will very likely compete in Greece next year (:

Comment

To know more about this young lady who was playing in her 9th! WYCC!

http://qiyuzhou.wordpress.com/about/

In 2005 she finished 71st out of 91...the moral of the story...don't give up :) In fact I have a great poem on this subject which I will try to dig up :)

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                  Qiyu coach is the Romanian GM Gergely Szabo
                  not Miodrag Perunovic anymore?

BTW: CBC Radio announced her win as the last story on the 5:30 news today... and they pronounced her name right. :)

Comment

CJOH TV wants to announce it, but needs video, and cant pull it out form the 6 hour long Youtube video. Ideas anyone?

Comment

[QUOTE=Larry Bevand;87697]To know more about this young lady who was playing in her 9th! WYCC!

http://qiyuzhou.wordpress.com/about/

In 2005 she finished 71st out of 91...the moral of the story...don't give up :) In fact I have a great poem on this subject which I will try to dig up :)

To put that 71st in proper perspective, Larry, in 2005 there was no U8 WYCC categories as yet. Thus Qiyu, all of 5 years old, was competing against 10-year-olds. And she still managed 4 wins, 1 draw, and 6 losses. And Qiyu did win an U10 Open in Finland that same year (according to your link). It would appear that success came at a very early age to Qiyu (:
                      Last edited by Jack Maguire; Monday, 29th September, 2014, 05:49 PM.

Comment

The 'Ottawa Citizen' is the first Canadian paper out of the gate with a Qiyu news item. It does contain one inaccuracy, however. The silver medalist, Oliwia Kiolbasa, also went undefeated so Qiyu was not the only girl to accomplish that feat. Both Qiyu and Oliwia had the same 6 wins and 5 draws.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...ess-tournament
                        I have just put Global News in touch with Vlad about Qiyu.

Bob A (former CFC Public Relations Coordinator)

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                          CJOH TV wants to announce it, but needs video, and cant pull it out form the 6 hour long Youtube video. Ideas anyone?
                          CJOH went with a still photo but gave the story good play. CBOT also gave good coverage with several photos, including Qiyu wrapped in a Canadian flag (and mum, Penny, in the background). Good work, John and Garland.
                          Last edited by Gordon Ritchie; Monday, 29th September, 2014, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                            I have just put Global News in touch with Vlad about Qiyu.

Bob A (former CFC Public Relations Coordinator)
                            I just talked to them. We shared contact information now I have to go teach a 9 year old girl who I will tell about Canada's newest world chess champion.

Comment

Congratulations Qiyu! :)
                              Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                              Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Congratulations Qiyu! Fantastic effort and great determination!!! Bravo!!

Comment

Working...
                                X