X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Championship Sochi 2014

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    Anand is very strong and a fine chess player,
    But that young Carlsen is kicking his ass.
    While it is true that Carlsen leads, though he does not kick. Anand looks not hungry at all. Maybe prize monies should be divided differently. iirc, now it is 6:4. imho, should be the winner takes it all, like 8:2 :)

Comment

Perhaps so but the champion also gets at least another match while the challenger may not. So closer to 10+:4 rather than 6:4, even if you exclude extra endorsements, greater appearance monies, etc.

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      While it is true that Carlsen leads, though he does not kick. Anand looks not hungry at all. Maybe prize monies should be divided differently. iirc, now it is 6:4. imho, should be the winner takes it all, like 8:2 :)
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        After today's draw (Game 10) the clock is running down very quickly. ... I would have thought Anand would have used today's game to push really, really hard - but seems not.
        Huh. Where have I heard that before? Sounds like something I would have written myself...

Looks like somebody else likes to write about chess and chess players. Perhaps we should all jump on him for doing that, although I'm sure he can take it as well as he can dish it out.

So now, how many years is it now until another WC match? We have to start worrying about yet another Carlsen-Anand matchup. What if Anand really is the best of the rest and stays that way for another 4 years? Whoa, that is just too sick.
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

• Re : Re: World Championship Sochi 2014

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
          Although today's game was by no means winning for the challenger Vishy Anand, there is no question that he had considerable pressure on Magnus Carlsen with a passed d-pawn. The World Champion repeated his Grunfeld and somewhere along the line his preparation failed him and he got into trouble. Time and pressure prevented Anand from the strongest path and his edge dissipated (ChessBase)
          GM Delchev's comments on Chessbomb: "Today's game was very interesting, Carlsen boldly challenged Anand even when in the match situation draw was good enough. Anand went for a very unpleasant new idea 12. Bg5 but Carlsen was again well prepared. With very tough defensive moves he neutralized white's initiative and went on to draw comfortably. With only two more games left, he can feel his task almost completed and I don't believe Anand will be able to equalize in the last 12th game."

GM Spraggett's comments on his blog: "Two games to go and Carlsen maintains a minimal lead. Anand will be White in the last game. For those who don’t remember or who were not yet born, in Seville 1987 Kasparov entered the final game of his World Championship match against Karpov a point down and in a MUST win situation. He won. And arguably became the celebrity that he is today largely due to this achievement. So don’t rule out anything before it is over."

GM Crouch's comments on his blog: "After rounds 7 and 8, and possibly earlier, I have had the feeling that while both players, and especially Anand, are outstanding defenders, the ability to attack is less in evidence. Basically, I did not feel confident that Anand as White will be able to press hard for a win. Anand's openings have been as usual impressive, but there has been little fire in his play. Age has started to creep in. Anand went for an immediate simplification, with 26.Bf3xb7, leading to a level double rook endgame, drawn a few moves later. He could have improved his position, centralising his king, or pushing his kingside pawns to slightly more threatening squares, but he didn't. As in so many of Anand's games, it looked as though he was gaining pressure in the endgame, when all of a sudden, the players shake hands around move thirty."

GM Colovic's comments on his blog: "Today's game reminded me of game 10 of the Anand-Topalov match. After essaying the Grunfeld in game 1 (and losing due to forgotten preparation) Anand switched to the Slav for his next 3 black games and returned to the Grunfeld in game 10, only to draw a suspiciously looking position. Carlsen decided to return to the Grunfeld in a critical moment in the match. There are probably several factors for that, but I think one of the main ones is the factor of surprise. I don't think Anand considered the return of the Grunfeld probable (I didn't) as it seemed that Carlsen's main weapon would be the QGD. But from what I can gather Carlsen relies a lot on the surprise factor in the openings in this match as a way to compensate for Anand's superior preparation. In addition to this factor, he also prepared a relative sideline (or, rather, a line that used to be popular in Kasparov's time, but now considered inferior to the line with 7...a6), exactly the same thing he did in the QGD in game 8 (the idea with 9...Re8). Even though surprised, Anand did find the best moves and put a lot of pressure on Carlsen. Carlsen himself admitted he missed 19 Ng5 after which things are difficult for black. Unfortunately for Anand, he couldn't keep up the highest level of his moves and the slow 24th move let Carlsen escape."
          Last edited by Louis Morin; Saturday, 22nd November, 2014, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Magnus retains the Crown, winning the match 3-1 with a fine closing game.

Comment

• Re: Re : Re: World Championship Sochi 2014

Carlsen wins today, the game and the match, and remains Champion.

Edit: shoot, Gordon posted before me. I'm second again, just like I am in most of my chess games.

Comment

And poor Anand is at the press conference, while Magnus is probably already drinking champagne or something.

Comment

Besides the well deserved congratulations, I think we can also thank Magnus for winning two games against the Berlin. That should lead to a decrease in popularity for this boring defense. ;)

Very poor choice of opening by Anand, when you think of it. Magnus could get the kind of position where he's comfortable and today's game was another proof of that.

Comment

World Championship Sochi 2014
                    Game Eleven
                    November 23, 2014
                    Carlsen, Magnus – Anand, Viswanathan
                    C67 Ruy Lopez, Berlin Defence, Open Var.

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.O-O Nxe4 5.d4 Nd6 6.Bxc6 dxc6 7.dxe5 Nf5 8.Qxd8+ Kxd8 9.h3 Bd7 10.Nc3 h6 11.b3 Kc8 12.Bb2 c5 13.Rad1 b6 14.Rfe1 Be6 15.Nd5 g5 16.c4 Kb7 17.Kh2 a5 18.a4 Ne7 19.g4 Ng6 20.Kg3 Be7 21.Nd2 Rhd8 22.Ne4 Bf8 23.Nef6 b5 24.Bc3 bxa4 25.bxa4 Kc6 26.Kf3 Rdb8 27.Ke4 Rb4 28.Bxb4 cxb4 29.Nh5 Kb7 30.f4 gxf4 31.Nhxf4 Nxf4 32.Nxf4 Bxc4 33.Rd7 Ra6 34.Nd5 Rc6 35.Rxf7 Bc5 36.Rxc7+ Rxc7 37.Nxc7 Kc6 38.Nb5 Bxb5 39.axb5+ Kxb5 40.e6 b3 41.Kd3 Be7 42.h4 a4 43.g5 hxg5 44.hxg5 a3 45.Kc3 1-0

Press Conference

The players had separate press conferences.

Viswanathan Anand
                    It was a very tense position, when I got this b5 break, I understands if he doesn’t take the pawn either way, the position still stays tight. I can’t say why I suddenly decided to go for the exchange sac. It was a bad gamble and I was punished.

At this particular moment I decided to risk it – before that I was playing objectively.

I was happy with some things in the match for instance doing better with white than last year. With the black pieces it didn’t work out so well. His nerves held up better than mine.

Journalist – After this match are you considering leaving chess?

Anand – (to applause) No.

Carlsen is obviously very strong and he played better in this match. My nerves were the first to crack. I kept getting interesting positions to play but somehow I had more weak moments than him.

Applause for the entrance of Magnus Carlsen
                    Carlsen – I feel happy and relieved. It was a tough match almost from the start. Today was one of the toughest days of all. I am happy I have managed to pull through.

I did not want to come back for a twelfth game with black. It was a bit more complicated than our previous games when I was white.

It was a real struggle - I had the initiative but he created counter-chances but eventually I handled the complications better than he did and gained the match.

In general I am very material and I was happy to grab it since I didn’t think he had enough compensation. I was happy to find this plan with Nh5, f4 keeping his bishop from e6 and once it goes I can invade with the rook and it is very difficult for him.

I am happy with everything here in Sochi. We have been treated very well.

I didn’t play the best way today from moves 18, 19 to 23 when b5 created counter-play. I am happy after that, when he gave up the exchange I played quite forcefully and he didn’t have any chances.
                    There are some comparisons with the ninth game of the last match when I was in even greater peril. Apart from that, it was tougher this time.

I was a little bit nervous and towards the end I got really excited and had to control myself. You have to focus on the game but it is hard when you are playing such an important game and the position isn't under control. I think I handled nerves better than he did.

Journalist - Last time you won the match you jumped into a swimming pool. Are you going to do this again?
                    No, I am a little bit sick – so I shouldn’t do that.

Journalist - How happy are you with your play throughout the match?

Carlsen - It has been inconsistent but was evidently good enough. I can certainly improve. He did play better than last time and pushed me to the end.

The loss in game three pushed me to earth again. Game seven was a key one. If I had won that it would have been finished. He really needed to make something of the eighth and tenth games, that was his big chance.

I played 1. e4 in every game and the Berlin Defence has been in Vishy’s repertoire for many years. I have thought that the Berlin Defence suits me from both sides for a long time.

I was happiest with my 29th move, Nh5. Vishy’s worst, Rb4, the exchange sacrifice was not justified
                    I don’t see who my opponent will be in two years. I never thought it would have been Anand this time. It’s a long time ahead.

Viewers Comments On-Line

- The first thing I would like to say today is a big compliment for Anand. Once more in a tough match he played an excellent opening, and not just preparation, but excellent Berlin maneuvering, culminating in the strong ...b5! counter, granting black to pass from good defense to dangerous active counterplay. I was really worried for white at this point - not for the slight black advantage the engines showed, but for the growing weaknesses in white's structure. Big respect to Anand for getting so far, and overall quite an impressive match, which I had not expected from this aging champion! He truly lost in style!
                    I can't deny I admired Carlsen even more today. He obviously missed how much black's ...b5 changed the whole position and was under serious pressure from then, suddenly having to switch from overall control to cautious defence of own weaknesses. Kf3!/Ke4, played in this pressure situation, were incredibly good moves from my view, because you had to calculate extremely precise, with the open b-file for black.

Then Rb4?!. Objectively it was not justified, but it was an enormous maturity test of the former masterful champion for the new one, and not just a desperate move! From this point on I had a hard time understanding the resulting position at all! To me this whole phase, with not so small compensation for black (even the engines saw less than a pawn advantage for white despite the exchange!), was a Carlsen masterpiece IMO: first excellent strategical choice with Nh5 / pawn f4, then excellent and VERY difficult tactical calculation with time running down rapidly for both, culminating in white's precise Nd5 (I would have missed that one completely, if the engines hadn't shown it): that was the ONLY straight winning move in a very complicated tactical struggle! Carlsen walked the whole tightrope all the way. After seeing that, I think he should definitely go for some sharper chess openings and maneuvers in the future, besides his strategical plans and endgames: to me it seems he has to fear nobody in the world in these ultra-sharp, critical positions. He could and should go for them more often with both colours. He's just great in double-edged play. Congratulations to the champ!

- Congrats to Magnus. He deserved to win the match. His ability to find the precise moves in critical positions is amazing. I wish Anand had drawn the 11th and went all out in the 12th. Overall, he has shown why he is the challenger. At the current levels, I would say Magnus and Caruana are the only two players who are better than Anand.

- Good press conference, nice to hear the players talk more openly. Congratulations to Magnus - he is an inspiration to many young players everywhere

- Couldn't you tell Magnus was congested and had a head cold at the press conference or can only mothers can hear that well?‬
                    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Sunday, 23rd November, 2014, 05:23 PM.

Comment

The Financial Times argues that Carlsen's win is "a triumph for man over supercomputer".

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/fac73...#axzz3K1vuVHuE

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
                        Besides the well deserved congratulations, I think we can also thank Magnus for winning two games against the Berlin. That should lead to a decrease in popularity for this boring defense. ;)

Very poor choice of opening by Anand, when you think of it. Magnus could get the kind of position where he's comfortable and today's game was another proof of that.
                        I don't think it was the defense. It was the player and the expectations he had for his position in that defense.

After watching game 10, I thought he was finished. Done. I even wrote a poem, such as it was. He decided to go for it in game 11, not that I think it would have made a difference.

I think Anand gets seeded into the challengers so maybe we'll do it again in 2 years.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          I don't think it was the defense. It was the player and the expectations he had for his position in that defense.

After watching game 10, I thought he was finished. Done. I even wrote a poem, such as it was. He decided to go for it in game 11, not that I think it would have made a difference.

I think Anand gets seeded into the challengers so maybe we'll do it again in 2 years.
                          I normally wouldn't call you out on anything Gary, but you seem very flippy-floppy, kind of like one of those bandwagonners that I despise :P

"I wouldn't bet a lot of money on Carlsen winning the match. Even considering it's chess, winning the championship and retaining it in a rematch are not an exact science.

We'll soon find out if Carlsen won the championship or rented it for one cycle."

You have to stick with your man, through thick and thin, through disease and famine and even in hopeless times.
                          Shameless self-promotion on display here
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                            World Championship Sochi 2014

- The first thing I would like to say today is a big compliment for Anand. Once more in a tough match he played an excellent opening, and not just preparation, but excellent Berlin maneuvering, culminating in the strong ...b5! counter, granting black to pass from good defense to dangerous active counterplay. I was really worried for white at this point - not for the slight black advantage the engines showed, but for the growing weaknesses in white's structure. Big respect to Anand for getting so far, and overall quite an impressive match, which I had not expected from this aging champion! He truly lost in style!
                            I can't deny I admired Carlsen even more today. He obviously missed how much black's ...b5 changed the whole position and was under serious pressure from then, suddenly having to switch from overall control to cautious defence of own weaknesses. Kf3!/Ke4, played in this pressure situation, were incredibly good moves from my view, because you had to calculate extremely precise, with the open b-file for black.

Then Rb4?!. Objectively it was not justified, but it was an enormous maturity test of the former masterful champion for the new one, and not just a desperate move! From this point on I had a hard time understanding the resulting position at all! To me this whole phase, with not so small compensation for black (even the engines saw less than a pawn advantage for white despite the exchange!), was a Carlsen masterpiece IMO: first excellent strategical choice with Nh5 / pawn f4, then excellent and VERY difficult tactical calculation with time running down rapidly for both, culminating in white's precise Nd5 (I would have missed that one completely, if the engines hadn't shown it): that was the ONLY straight winning move in a very complicated tactical struggle! Carlsen walked the whole tightrope all the way. After seeing that, I think he should definitely go for some sharper chess openings and maneuvers in the future, besides his strategical plans and endgames: to me it seems he has to fear nobody in the world in these ultra-sharp, critical positions. He could and should go for them more often with both colours. He's just great in double-edged play. Congratulations to the champ!

Funny, this match makes me want to take up the Berlin. Lots of play and despite Black's two losses, plenty of chances for Black to play for a win (though maybe not so much against Carlsen. ;-)
                            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                              Funny, this match makes me want to take up the Berlin. Lots of play and despite Black's two losses, plenty of chances for Black to play for a win (though maybe not so much against Carlsen. ;-)
                              lol I guess Carlsen could play any old crap opening against 99%+ of the planet and still be nearly impossible to beat. The same is probably true of almost all GMs playing someone under 2000 (perhaps lower, perhaps higher?) Opening "theory" isn't quite so absolute I guess.
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Considering GMs can play several masters (2200-2300) in 30 board simuls and win almost all games you might want to revise your estimate.

Comment

Working...
                                X