Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Championship Sochi 2014

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
    Five games to go and Carlsen is the 1/10 favourite and Anand the 5/1 dog. Not quite the slap in the face that the 1/20 and 15/2 odds on the match after the 2nd game but still a bit of an insult to the 5-time World Champion. Anand does have 3 Whites so perhaps he's still worth a bit of a 'flyer' (:

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/Chess-c210000170
    In fact, today's game, where Carlsen clearly dragged things on for way too long, might actually give a boost to Anand.

As you said, he's got 3 whites left, just one game behind. It's not like Carlsen can just glide to victory.

Comment

Carlsen threw everything but the kitchen sink at Anand today and Anand held. Today was simply Carlsen trying to gain a win he felt he threw away.

The odds are most likely set so a roughly even amount is bet on both participants. The book can go out of business real fast if they end up on the wrong end of the bet too many times. They don't care who wins as long as they make money. It's the juice.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Last edited by Olivier Tessier; Monday, 22nd October, 2018, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I'd only bet on an underdog if I thought he'd win.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

World Championship Sochi 2014

Game Eight
            November 18, 2014

Yesterday chessdom.com had this note:

The game Carlsen – Anand from round 7 broke a viewership record: it visited by 450 000+ people on the Chess Arena platform during the day, and with 170 000 simultaneous viewers around move 60, the servers could not take it anymore. Starting tomorrow the server structure will be doubled to hold the final rounds. Thank you for following with us!

Game 8, Nov. 18
            Anand, Viswanathan – Carlsen, Magnus
            D37 QGD, Hastings Variation

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 d5 4.Nc3 Be7 5.Bf4 O-O 6.e3 c5 7.dxc5 Bxc5 8.a3 Nc6 9.Qc2 Re8 10.Bg5 Be7 11.Rd1 Qa5 12.Bd3 h6 13.Bh4 dxc4 14.Bxc4 a6 15.O-O b5 16.Ba2 Bb7 17.Bb1 Rad8 18.Bxf6 Bxf6 19.Ne4 Be7 20.Nc5 Bxc5 21.Qxc5 b4 22.Rc1 bxa3 23.bxa3 Qxc5 24.Rxc5 Ne7 25.Rfc1 Rc8 26.Bd3 Red8 27.Rxc8 Rxc8 28.Rxc8+ Nxc8 29.Nd2 Nb6 30.Nb3 Nd7 31.Na5 Bc8 32.Kf1 Kf8 33.Ke1 Ke7 34.Kd2 Kd6 35.Kc3 Ne5 36.Be2 Kc5 37.f4 Nc6 38.Nxc6 Kxc6 39.Kd4 f6 40.e4 Kd6 41.e5+ 1/2-1/2

Anand stuck to the QGD and Carlsen went for the old Classical line playing a sideline 9…Re8. After 10.Bg5 Carlsen played Be7, a novelty. Anand started to use up his time and by move 19, he was down to 50 minutes while Carlsen was still in his preparation with 1 hour and 44 minutes left.

It went to a pretty easy draw and the match notched one game closer to the end.

Press Conference

Anand – Back to the QGD. Didn’t manage to get much out of the opening.

Carlsen – A bit risky for Black but had to be careful while navigating to a draw.

Journalist – It looked like you were falling asleep at the start of the game. Were you tired after yesterday’s game?

Carlsen – I was not the best of shape at the start but felt fresher as the game progressed.

Journalist – GM Nigel Short called your opening the condom variation. You use it once and throw it away. Will you be using this variation again?

Carlsen – We’ll see.

Journalist – How do you think this short game will affect you in the rest of the match?

Carlsen – It was a good result for me. As the match progresses, the free days become more and more valuable.

Journalist – It was reported that you both will be having doping tests today. How do you feel about them?

Anand – Well, it is already the fifth doping test I’ll have so I was wondering when it would be.

Carlsen – It’s always a nice surprise.

Journalist – Magnus, what about the job your seconds are doing?

Carlsen – They are always working hard and I appreciate that.

Journalist – How will you spend the rest day?

Anand – Resting and there will be some preparation as well
            Journalist – What were you discussing after the game?

Anand – We got details of the doping tests from Jana and we were discussing that.

Online Comments

- What unfortunate behavior by the wch. The guy is in his mid 20s and still he acts like a spoiled kid with issues. I wonder if that is a consequence of his selective education, some sign of mental illness or just a total and utter disregard for common social values and other people (once again I am reminded by his take backs, refusal of handshakes e.g.). Really, his dad should have been less of a lackey and raised him better. With guys like MC and Naka and their fans we see the end of chess being the gentlemen game and for this reason alone you'd hope for Anand to retain his crown.

- Carlsen is leading the championship at the moment because of a blunder instead of a brilliant move. A blunder that Anand failed to see and went onto destroy his game lamenting on it.

(Jan Gustafsson) – Second day in a row Magnus is prepared for 20 plus moves. Who is this guy and what has he done to the World Champion?

- According to Vlad Tkachiev, Carlsen is a wonderful actor – and the way he acts at the board unsettles his opponents, deliberately or not.

(Peter Svidler) – It used to be half-true that Carlsen was unprepared in openings but I don’t think anyone believes that any more.

(Nigel Short) The game will probably end in a comfortable draw. If so, it favours only one player – the man in front.

- Magnus seems to be hinting that he was slightly unwell today.

- After the least interesting game so far, the press conference was also appropriately the least interesting so far.

Comment

we're now approaching the odds listed after Carlsen's R2 win, 1/20 and 15/2. With 4 rounds to play, Carlsen is now 1/14 and Anand 13/2.

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/Chess-c210000170

Comment

Some of these comments posted on these chess sites sound incredibly stupid, it makes posts on chesstalk seem like thesis papers in comparison
                Shameless self-promotion on display here
                http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Norweigan TV2 reporter Kaja Marie Snare inform us that the mayor of Oslo has had to ask Oslo workers to stop phoning in sick to watch the match. She also tells us that Magnus is a rather bad dancer (:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAPgZLJ4D2k

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                    Game 8, Nov. 18
                    Anand, Viswanathan – Carlsen, Magnus
                    D37 QGD, Hastings Variation

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 d5 4.Nc3 Be7 5.Bf4 O-O 6.e3 c5 7.dxc5 Bxc5 8.a3 Nc6 9.Qc2 Re8 10.Bg5 Be7 11.Rd1 Qa5 12.Bd3 h6 13.Bh4 dxc4 14.Bxc4 a6 15.O-O b5 16.Ba2 Bb7 17.Bb1 Rad8 18.Bxf6 Bxf6 19.Ne4 Be7 20.Nc5 Bxc5 21.Qxc5 b4 22.Rc1 bxa3 23.bxa3 Qxc5 24.Rxc5 Ne7 25.Rfc1 Rc8 26.Bd3 Red8 27.Rxc8 Rxc8 28.Rxc8+ Nxc8 29.Nd2 Nb6 30.Nb3 Nd7 31.Na5 Bc8 32.Kf1 Kf8 33.Ke1 Ke7 34.Kd2 Kd6 35.Kc3 Ne5 36.Be2 Kc5 37.f4 Nc6 38.Nxc6 Kxc6 39.Kd4 f6 40.e4 Kd6 41.e5+ 1/2-1/2

If game 7 was disgusting, as Mathew Cloutier suggested, for Carlsen playing on unneccessarily, this game was equally disgusting for Anand being devoid of risk taking or aggressiveness. I've lost a lot of respect for Anand over these 2 WC matches. He just seems comfortable to be playing at all. In the above game, just trading off all pieces and trying to find an edge in a minor piece endgame is not the best strategy against Carlsen, and Anand should know this by now. Anand cut his teeth in blitz, where middlegame complications are the name of the game, but he shows none of that these days. He's definitely an ex-Champion.
                    Only the rushing is heard...
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

• Re: World Championship Sochi 2014

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                      World Championship Sochi 2014

- After the least interesting game so far, the press conference was also appropriately the least interesting so far.
                      I do not see the point of a press conference after each game. What they can really say? What they can really ask? Who cares how they spend the rest of the day?

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentiu Grigorescu View Post
                        I do not see the point of a press conference after each game. What they can really say? What they can really ask? Who cares how they spend the rest of the day?
                        I am not sure if you are being serious. A press conference is very important. After EVERY sporting event there is always a press conference. It gives us viewers the chance to see the personalities of our heroes. The press conference might be the most important/intriguing event of the match for some.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentiu Grigorescu View Post
                          I do not see the point of a press conference after each game.
                          I think there is a remark in one of Wayne's contributions up thread in which he quotes Rajabov or Karjakin (I forget which). The point is one of the professionalization of chess, in all aspects. Just ask the American forward for the Toronto Maple Leafs, Phil Kessel, who is discovering that he is expected to be available pretty well all the time for the mass media (as noted by his coach Randy Carlisle). These other sports, like hockey, are being used as models for chess.
                          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                            If game 7 was disgusting, as Mathew Cloutier suggested, for Carlsen playing on unneccessarily, this game was equally disgusting for Anand being devoid of risk taking or aggressiveness. I've lost a lot of respect for Anand over these 2 WC matches. He just seems comfortable to be playing at all. In the above game, just trading off all pieces and trying to find an edge in a minor piece endgame is not the best strategy against Carlsen, and Anand should know this by now. Anand cut his teeth in blitz, where middlegame complications are the name of the game, but he shows none of that these days. He's definitely an ex-Champion.
                            For someone who hasn't played competitive chess in many many years, you do seem to have quite a number of opinions on how chess is played. You should try playing once in a while and see how you will do in an actual game of chess. It's not nearly as easy to win games at that level as it is at your level.
                            Shameless self-promotion on display here
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                              For someone who hasn't played competitive chess in many many years, you do seem to have quite a number of opinions on how chess is played. You should try playing once in a while and see how you will do in an actual game of chess. It's not nearly as easy to win games at that level as it is at your level.
                              Paul Bonham is Chesstalk's "Monday morning quarterback"

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Beal View Post
                                Paul Bonham is Chesstalk's "Monday morning quarterback"
                                But I like to talk about chess and chessplayers!
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	Dobby.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	185787
                                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                                X