Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Championship Sochi 2014

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
    Is she really so incredibly beautiful, Andy as people say?
    I can't think of a single politically correct thing to write but I'll try.

A chess game can be incredibly beautiful. A woman, not so much. ;)
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I can see this is going to be one of those threads. Can she cook?
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Sopiko Guramishvili

If you want to see what Sopiko is like, here is a clip with her doing the ice bucket challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NSDY40ZrdQ

Jan Gustafsson has complained about this.

Comment

I don't care much for PC terms so I'll just go ahead and say it. She's pretty hot, definitely easy on the eyes but I have to think that some of the bias has to come from the fact that she's also a good chess player. If she wasn't an IM (legit 2400 IM) and was just your average 1800 hot chess girl I wouldn't care as much. Ok maybe not 1800, let's say 1200, they're basically a dime a dozen at that level. I think most chess players would still be interested in what a 1800 girl would say/do in public but probably not a 1200. Just like how many people find co-workers at their office more attractive and are more likely to mate with them (I have none other than anecdotal evidence of this however) chess players will be more likely attracted to other chess players. So in other words, even if she was a 5/10, the fact that she plays chess raises her to 6/10, the fact that she's above 1800 raises her to 8/10 and the fact that she's an IM raises her to 10/10. I of course are pulling numbers out of nothing so please bear that in mind.

I also forgot to mention that most women chess players tend to pair upwards while most male chess players tend to pair downwards, hence why the 2400-2700 pairing. I of course am just a lowly 2400 (now sub 2400) so I am most likely out of my league with Sopiko unfortunately :(
          Shameless self-promotion on display here
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

And the odds continue to shrink, now down to 3/10 on Carlsen and 9/4 on Anand.

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/Chess-c210000170

Comment

American GM Robert Hess handicaps the match.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/t...-championship/

Comment

Do we really need sexist, objectification of women in this thread?

Comment

I preferred a Shipov/Kosteniuk tandem (though they speak in only Russian). They are more balanced, even their current ratings almost equal. Guramishvili treats Svidler like a superstar. I found boring to listen to Svidler's long monologues too.
                  A press-conference - I agree with K.L. (other thread) - a disaster. Two players are thinkers and have enough things still to keep in secret.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                    If this person's name was Victor Guramishvili, no one would be discussing them at all. The fact that this commentator a woman is the only notable reason she gets discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                      On the broadcast her and Svidler took a tweeted question asking her if her beauty affected the games she played against men. She lapped it up. So, the sexist objectification started on the broadcast and with the woman herself. Whether or not it is proper to continue on this forum what they and she started is a legitimate question to be sure, but let us not suggest that her and the broadcast are not guilty of the sexist objectification of women in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                        If this person's name was Victor Guramishvili, no one would be discussing them at all. The fact that this commentator a woman is the only notable reason she gets discussed.
                        Or was chosen as a commentator in the first place, most likely.
                        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                          On the broadcast her and Svidler took a tweeted question asking her if her beauty affected the games she played against men. She lapped it up. So, the sexist objectification started on the broadcast and with the woman herself. Whether or not it is proper to continue on this forum what they and she started is a legitimate question to be sure, but let us not suggest that her and the broadcast are not guilty of the sexist objectification of women in the first place.
                          Perhaps the commentators should wear paper bags over their heads? Most likely Peter Svidler's voice would give him away...
                          As for the discussion about the tweet - I don't know what response she was *supposed* to have given - perhaps they should have ignored
                          the question except that it might actually be a relevant one...
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Amazing game.
                            Anand was pressing hardly, looked that Magnus is in a big trouble. Then I missed several moves, came back and it was a drawish ending. Kasparov really right about a tiger: "Anand the old tiger cannot chase down his prey so easily these days".

Comment

World Championship Sochi 2014
                              Game Five
                              November 14, 2014
                              Anand, Viswanathan – Carlsen, Magnus
                              E15 Queen’s Indian, 4.g3

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 b6 4. g3 Bb4+ 5. Bd2 Be7 6. Nc3 Bb7 7. Bg2 c6 8. e4 d5 9. exd5 cxd5 10. Ne5 O-O 11. O-O Nc6 12. cxd5 Nxe5 13. d6 Nc6 14. dxe7 Qxe7 15. Bg5 h6 16. d5 Na5 17. Bxf6 Qxf6 18. dxe6 Qxe6 19. Re1 Qf6 20. Nd5 Bxd5 21. Bxd5 Rad8 22. Qf3 Qxb2 23. Rad1 Qf6 24. Qxf6 gxf6 25. Re7 Kg7 26. Rxa7 Nc6 27. Rb7 Nb4 28. Bb3 Rxd1+ 29. Bxd1 Nxa2 30. Rxb6 Nc3 31. Bf3 f5 32. Kg2 Rd8 33. Rc6 Ne4 34. Bxe4 fxe4 35. Rc4 f5 36. g4 Rd2 37. gxf5 e3 38. Re4 Rxf2+ 39. Kg3 Rxf5 ½-½

Carlsen blitzed out his moves only stopping for a think at move 18. After 20. Nd5 Black plays Bxd5 although the pawn on b2 was tempting. With 23…Qf6 Black has seen that pressure is mounting on him and decides to ruin his pawn structure in order to simplify the queenside. Magnus said at the press conference that White is a little better but the position after Qxb2 was holdable for Black.

Both players were prepared for the opening today. Magnus keeps switching his openings. Is this a strategy to find something against 1. d4? Carlsen says, “Maybe”.

Asked if the Tiger is back, Anand says that during a match you don’t like to analyze yourself too much.

He is asked about the comment that the rivalry dominates their relationship and in the world of chess Carlsen is not one of his friends.
                              Anand says with the match coming up, they don’t keep much social contact. He didn’t mean that they are enemies.

The press conference was a bit friendlier than the last and less awkward. You really need a strong moderator in there to direct things – Short or Grischuk, perhaps.
                              ________

During the game, Peter Svidler is the commentator, whereas Sopiko takes a rest after having been commentating on the blitz tournament for two days straight. Peter says the circus is in town and that he has Ian Nepomniachtchi in with him today. They predict 1.d4 from Vishy and yet another opening response from Magnus.

During their banter, a tweet comes through asking for the most naturally talented ten players in chess history. Peter and Ian mention Tal, Fischer, Kasparov, Ivanchuk, Anand, Carlsen, Capablanca and they add Keres and Leonid Stein and then give up because the question has an impossible answer.

(Tweet) - How was the blitz tournament today? Peter and Ian say that they were both disappointed. Peter says that everyone but Shakhriyar had five games at least in which they gave away points. Ian lost six games in a row yesterday so it was more of a disaster then. Mamedyarov won with 16 points, Grischuk was second and Peter and Ian stood sixth and seventh, respectively, with 12 and 11.

There was a long break for commercials, about 14 minutes. When the transmission recommenced, the game was over. Peter was caught off guard by this, saying, events took a turn he did not envisage. All the pieces were exchanged and the game drawn. He said that White didn’t run any risks at all – a puzzling development. Anand decided to wind things up but Peter would have liked him to play on.

Viewers’ Comments On-Line

(Mark Crowther) – Game 5 drawn. At one moment it seemed like Carlsen was in trouble. The next they went to a commercial break and it was drawn.

(Svidler) – I’m slightly mystified by this. I don’t think you could imagine a scenario after Ra4 when White could be worse.

(Anish Giri) – Svidler sounds so angry. I think he wants to punch someone.

(Mark Crowther) - Peter and Ian – It seems like you got everything. It was just the timing of the break at the end that was unfortunate.

(Mark Crowther) – Biggest shock of today was how long it took the guys to come up with Capablanca in their greatest natural talents list.

(Olimpiu Urcan) - The Ivanchuk emphasis was the more intriguing part.

- I'm impressed Magnus pulled out a draw. Vishy seemed to have the upper hand and tempo throughout the opening and middle. Anand was right to quickly agree to a draw as that position was going nowhere. He was better positioned defensively and was nicely causing awkward positions for Magnus but he couldn't seem to use his better position for any killer moves.

I think Carlsen was aiming at a draw the entire game. Quickly exchanging pieces at every opportunity, conscience of time and quickly putting his pieces in obvious exchange-situations and almost not allowing Vishy any other logical moves. I think Magnus just wanted to keep steady for this game given his previous two games.....and head into the next two games opening with white.

- Anand just let the game draw with 34.Bxe4..Otherwise it could have been a win for Anand.

- Maybe Carlsen could have played 23... Rd7 24 Qf5 Rc7 25 Be4 g6 26 Qf4 Re7 27 Qxh6 and now the commentators let black play something that made Bxg6 possible, but my engine gives the natural move Rfe8 as completely equal. The white bishop is not directly threatened, but black will get time to get his knight into play. After that the black king is slightly insecure, but on the other hand the black majority on the queenside may get threatening.

But in terms of match strategy, there might have been too much risk involved in this line.

- it was not Anand who "avoided a struggle" and in all likelihood Carlsen might have missed something when calculating qxb2. Why else take an even longer think than on qxb2 for the follow up ..qf6.

Anand got surprised in the opening, played it safe (d6 might v been best but clearly carlsens main prep) yet managed to gain a small plus with a nice pawn sac. Magnus played a bit hesitantly, had to give back his rather large time advantage but nevertheless the draw was reached fairly easy because of the simplified position. Anand shows he is more in fighting than last wch and for Carlsen this can't be pleasant. And if he miscalculated qxb2, well that would obviously be bad for confidence as well. But ok, he has two whites now; let's see how that goes for Vishy.

- That was a boring game. I wish Anand had tried to torture Magnus more after Qxb2. That Knight on a5 is so ugly, and there is pressure on f7.

I don't think Black is lost, but I would have liked to see Anand pressure him more than with Qxf6.

- Draw! In my opinion, Carlsen has now survived his crisis and should win the match.

- Can we all agree now that even if Carlsen goes on to win (as I assume he will) those of us who said Vishy has better chances this time around weren't out of our minds?

________

The reason for the break in the transmission at the end of yesterday’s press conference was evidently that the same system was carrying that and the news of the Philae satellite touching on to Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. Too much activity for the circuits, I guess.

Comment

It's down to a best of 7 affair now with Carlsen having 'home field advantage', the extra White. Still, it's hard to imagine another sporting event where the betting odds would be so lopsided, Carlsen now at 2/9 and Vishy at 3/1.

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/Chess-c210000170

Comment

Working...
                                X