X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Championship Sochi 2014

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...-championship/
    - A few weird assumptions on the article. Most importantly, no weight given to white-black. It is fairly large at this level, maybe up to 50 rating points added to white, not much different than home field advantage on most sports. True, each player gets 6 whites, but the probabilities game to game are affected. Second, the matches have a different dynamics than usual tournaments. Late on the match each player does not want to increase the total points, but the chance to win the match (akin to baseball on last innings). A player behind would likely risk more for the chance to level the match, even if it reduces the expected points. Third, expecting the WE (win expectancy) to remain constant when the draw rate increases is folly. If a match gets lots of draws, most likely the real rating gap is less than we assumed before match started.

- Pretty cool line of thought here. I think there is room for exploring the game theory optimal strategy around playing to win/playing for a draw as white vs as black as a function of current match score.

I have a suggestion for a system in match play. The higher rated player receives a form of 'home field advantage' which consists of this:

(1) in the first game, the higher rated player is White.
    (2) the colors remain the same until Black wins a game. Once Black wins a game, the player that won with Black is awarded White in the next game.
    (3) repeat (2) until end of the match.

This would give an extra incentive to Black in every game to avoid a draw. This incentive would be very strong because the lower rated player has no chance to win the match (or even to play a single game as White) without winning as Black. The result would be more exciting games, much more adventurous play from Black.
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

World Championship Sochi 2014

At the official website:

http://www.sochi2014.fide.com

it has this page:

Live Broadcast of the Match
      The first game of the Match will start on November 8 at 3PM Moscow time. Please check back to watch the games live.

As best as I can figure it, the difference in time between Toronto/Montreal and Moscow is 8 hours. Therefore the starting time for the games here is 7 a.m.

While I was checking this, I found three different time zone sites that had different offsets! So, I shall get up at 7 a.m. here regardless of what time they start over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
        I have a suggestion for a system in match play.
        Why don't you adopt it for your new federation. How's that coming along?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Southam View Post
          Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your prompt updates on chess around the globe! If I don't have time to go to other sites, I know I can always count on you for all the up to date news! Do you (or anyone else) know what time the World Championship starts in Toronto time? I read that the games start at 3PM Sochi time, which is 9 hours ahead of us, so 6AM our time. But then I read that the games start at 3PM MOSCOW time, which would be 7AM our time (as there's an hour time difference from Sochi to Moscow). Thanks in advance,

DAVE
          Yesterday I sent a feedback note on the World Championship site that said (more or less) that the "Schedule" page probably should indicate what TIME the games start each day (in several popular time zones...) in addition to the existing DAY of the game. The live commentary blurb (if you can even call it a blurb) hinted that the live commentary would start at 3pm MOSCOW time but I pointed out that the game start presumably is somewhat after the live commentary starts? No response so far.

I see on this page:

http://www.sochi2014.fide.com/news/p...t-the-wcc-2014

there is the sentence: "The first game of the match will start on November 8 at 3PM Moscow time."

The website is functionally useless and very sparse - hopefully it will perk up once the match starts...

I hope the two players know what time(s) the games start - a zero tolerance forfeit
          (one of the stupidest rules that FIDE has ever introduced) would be an embarrassment.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

http://www.nrk.no/sport/ingen-glassv...set-1.12030087
            has a picture/video of the scene (still under construction)

Norway craziness for Magnus
            http://www.tv2.no/sport/sjakk

Comment

navigating the W Ch website

I notice that the Russian language part of the site seems to have slightly quicker response. The load must be unbelievable and, given the current state of Western-Russia relations, a little sabotage would not be unexpected ...

According to Chess24, Kasparov has been trying to poison the atmosphere (he's not going) and, so far, the players are staying away from any politics, including the venomous kind from the former champion ....

Originally posted by Chess24
              This year Kasparov has repeated on multiple occasions that he won’t travel to Sochi, but he still managed to stir the pot on a recent visit to Oslo. Kasparov met with Carlsen, though it was less “secret” than the local media wanted to paint it ...

Both players, however, have largely distanced themselves from politics so far.
              Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Friday, 7th November, 2014, 12:53 PM. Reason: quote
              Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                Yesterday I sent a feedback note on the World Championship site that said (more or less) that the "Schedule" page probably should indicate what TIME the games start each day (in several popular time zones...) in addition to the existing DAY of the game. The live commentary blurb (if you can even call it a blurb) hinted that the live commentary would start at 3pm MOSCOW time but I pointed out that the game start presumably is somewhat after the live commentary starts? No response so far.

I see on this page:

http://www.sochi2014.fide.com/news/p...t-the-wcc-2014

there is the sentence: "The first game of the match will start on November 8 at 3PM Moscow time."

The website is functionally useless and very sparse - hopefully it will perk up once the match starts...

I hope the two players know what time(s) the games start - a zero tolerance forfeit
                (one of the stupidest rules that FIDE has ever introduced) would be an embarrassment.
                Just a quick follow-up. On Android, there is an interesting application to follow the world championship (as there was last time)
                see: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.nexm.wcc

(by Asim Pereira)

I notice on that app, the games are listed with the LOCAL start time (duh, of course!) as was today's opening ceremony - at 12:30p Toronto time. I plan to use that app to follow the games (unless I happen to get up early enough to watch a bit before heading to work)
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Great coverage of the opening ceremonies on chess24.com:

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/car...hite-in-game-1

The intro from that site:

Carlsen-Anand 2014: Vishy gets White in Game 1

And so it begins! Vishy Anand will have the white pieces against Magnus Carlsen in Saturday's Game 1 of the 2014 World Chess Championship match. Today in Sochi the players met the press in the kind of media circus we haven’t seen since their last match a year ago in Chennai. Apart from Anand dropping the minor bombshell that Polish grandmaster Grzegorz Gajewski is one of his seconds there were few revelations, but we did get some enjoyable moments. Carlsen in particular was close to his acerbic best – responding to the question, “Do you consider yourself the favourite?” with, “What do you think?”

Comment

W Ch starts on Saturday 8 November

3 pm Moscow gives us ...

4 am Pacific
                    5 am Mountain
                    6 am Central
                    7 am Eastern
                    8 am Atlantic
                    830 Nfld

Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: W Ch starts on Saturday 8 November

The late money seems to be going Carlsen's way. Ladbrokesl has revised their odds to 1/5 and 10/3.

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/Chess-c210000170

Comment

Re: W Ch starts on Saturday 8 November

Lots of interesting tweets at this live coverage and I do love the live Svidler analysis, who's very much in his element with his beloved Grunfeld on the board (:

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/anan...e-1793437.html

Comment

Re:World Championship Sochi 2014

Sochi 2014 World Championship

Game One
                          November 8, 2014
                          Anand, Viswanathan – Carlsen, Magnus
                          D85 Grunfeld, Exchange Variation

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5 4.cxd5 Nxd5 5.Bd2 Bg7 6.e4 Nxc3 7.Bxc3 O-O 8.Qd2 Nc6 9.Nf3 Bg4 10.d5 Bxf3 11.Bxg7 Kxg7 12.gxf3 Ne5 13.O-O-O c6 14.Qc3 f6 15.Bh3 cxd5 16.exd5 Nf7 17.f4 Qd6 18.Qd4 Rad8 19.Be6 Qb6 20.Qd2 Rd6 21.Rhe1 Nd8 22.f5 Nxe6 23.Rxe6 Qc7+ 24.Kb1 Rc8 25.Rde1 Rxe6 26.Rxe6 Rd8 27.Qe3 Rd7 28.d6 exd6 29.Qd4 Rf7 30.fxg6 hxg6 31.Rxd6 a6 32.a3 Qa5 33.f4 Qh5 34.Qd2 Qc5 35.Rd5 Qc4 36.Rd7 Qc6 37.Rd6 Qe4+ 38.Ka2 Re7 39.Qc1 a5 40.Qf1 a4 41.Rd1 Qc2 42.Rd4 Re2 43.Rb4 b5 44.Qh1 Re7 45.Qd5 Re1 46.Qd7+ Kh6 47.Qh3+ Kg7 48.Qd7+ 1/2-1/2

(Mark Crowther) The match for the World Chess Championship in Sochi started with a draw in 48 moves. Anand had slightly better opening preparation but Carlsen managed to equalise and Anand started to go wrong on the run up to move 40. It seems Carlsen didn't make the best of his chances and allowed a quick draw after 42...Re2 (42...Re3) Anand found a line with the fine 44.Qh1 which quickly forced a draw.

Anand opened with 1.d4 and Carlsen replied with a slight surprise of the Gruenfeld Defence which he hasn't played on a regular basis for some time.

"Carlsen didn't play c5 where absolutely everyone plays c5." said Svidler about Carlsen's choice of 8...Nc6. Anand was playing quickly at this stage and Carlsen used about 45 minutes of the first hour of play.

Comments On-line

- I really thought this game might be a win in the "classic style of Magnus", ie defending against pressure for a long time and then turning the tables after time control.
                          Alas, Vishy's strong nerves even after Black established the pawn on a4 showed he is ready for this match!
                          So excited for more games from these two players!

(Dejan Bojkov) - 42... Re2?! Magnus lets Vishy off the hook.
                          (Critical was 42... Re3! with the threat Re3xa3! and mate on the next move)

- Carlsen should have found Re3!. If he does then he wins. It's that simple. If he couldn't calculate deeply enough to see the value in that line then Anand will definitely be able to get things by him and take some risks in this tournament. The key for Anand is to remain aggressive. Carlsen does not react well to constant pressure. If you give him riskless endgames where he is always a little better you will lose. You must set problems for him and not back down!

- Who cares about the end of the match. Anand is a 5-time world champion and still playing the WCC at his age of 44, an age even Kasparov did not chose to play on. He has nothing left to achieve. Although Carlsen who is the best player of this time has higher chances to win, Anand's play is incredible. He clearly improved himself from the last time. He is also playing way aggressively giving a very interesting game.

- "Carlsen should have found Re3! If he does then he wins. It's that simple."

Really? Could you show us the winning variation?
                          Re3 is better than Re2, but none of the engines I used showed a clear win for black after that. Black's advantage was evaluated at around half a pawn.

Comment

Game 2
                            November 9, 2014
                            Carlsen, Magnus – Anand, Vishy
                            C65 Ruy Lopez, Berlin Defence

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.d3 Bc5 5.O-O d6 6.Re1 O-O 7.Bxc6 bxc6 8.h3 Re8 9.Nbd2 Nd7 10.Nc4 Bb6 11.a4 a5 12.Nxb6 cxb6 13.d4 Qc7 14.Ra3 Nf8 15.dxe5 dxe5 16.Nh4 Rd8 17.Qh5 f6 18.Nf5 Be6 19.Rg3 Ng6 20.h4 Bxf5 21.exf5 Nf4 22.Bxf4 exf4 23.Rc3 c5 24.Re6 Rab8 25.Rc4 Qd7 26.Kh2 Rf8 27.Rce4 Rb7 28.Qe2 b5 29.b3 bxa4 30.bxa4 Rb4 31.Re7 Qd6 32.Qf3 Rxe4 33.Qxe4 f3+ 34.g3 h5 35.Qb7 1-0

Ramirez’s annotation (on ChessBase) of the last four moves:

32.Qf3! The queen wants to start looking for ways of getting into the seventh rank. Rxe4 33.Qxe4 f3+ 34.g3 h5?? A horrible blunder in a very difficult position.

[34...Qd2 The only good way of preventing the queen from coming to b7 is by attacking f2, but this gives up the f3 pawn. 35.Qxf3 Qxc2 36.Kg2 and Black's is close to lost, but not there yet.]

35.Qb7 As once World Championship contender Nigel Short pointed out on twitter: "Blunders don't happen in a vacuum. 34...h5?? came after enormous sustained pressure.". Carlsen created something out of seemingly nothing and earned a great victory.

The live broadcast of the match has Peter Svidler and Sopiko Guramishvili. Peter, of course , dominates the discussion, but he does speak well. The full screen picture has Anand and Carlsen, Peter and Sopiko in inset and large clear analytical boards. This is the best production I have seen over the past few years.

Online Comments

(Jonathan Rowson) – Vishy has big problems to overcome. From the live feed he even looks a little seasick. Good sea legs though and still paddling.

(Susan Polgar) - OMG. Anand blundered with h5. Now Qb7 and it is over.

(Anish Giri) - Those pointing out mistakes (with engine help obv), please notice 14. Ra3! By Magnus, breathing life into a dead equal position.

- We need to sit at our chessboards and listen to @polborta and @Sopiko20 without any engines to really enjoy the games.

- Interesting - today celebrates the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall and it so happens that Berlin fell in today's #CarlsenAnand

- Power chess with Alekhine’s gun and an ice-pick chipping away.

- Hopefully these press conferences will be less painful than those in Chenai. The format needs rethinking.

- Carlsen played excellently for the first 28 moves. A bit like Fischer: any of his moves could be played by a 1800+ player, but not all of them in one game. Deceptively simple. After that, his play seemed a bit wishy-washy: 29 b3 may not have been the best and with 32 Qf3 he may have given away an important part of his advantage. With still 4 minutes on the clock, 34... h5 was a blunder unworthy of a world championship, I mean: what is white aiming at? How can you forget that g7 is in need of protection? Anyone here who doesn't think 34... Qd2 is an obvious move?

My impression: Carlsen is a bit too relaxed (compare 42... Re2 in the first game) and Anand is (again) not up to the pressure of a world championship match.

- As can already be seen in the 1st game where Anand did what everyone said he had to do, he came out fighting, Carlsen defended with ease, turned the tables on Anand, and almost pulled out a victory for himself. Today was classic Carlsen. Maintain all the plusses in the position, while his opponent held none, and then press, and press and press.

The fact is Carlsen IS the best player in the world right now. He is not showing any signs of concern, while the psychological pressure on Anand, has just increased ten-fold.

- Yesterday Magnus overplayed Vishy, despite coming from a very uncomfortable black position. Today he got nothing but a playable game from the opening, and then found a4/Ra3->g3 to get at least something going. And again he played a better middlegame from there, to a degree which left black in an extremely uncomfortable position, forcing Anand to take continuous excessive care of correct defense moves. Anand even succeeded in getting minimal counterplay with hope for simplification, but still with only small practical chances to save the game, when he finally cracked.

"Throwing it away" after getting that minimal counterplay certainly was not helpful for Anand's self-confidence, and Carlsen will feel quite in the comfort zone after two good performances by him and such an early success.

Still, everybody shouting for a landslide now, should be quiet. Anand has not stopped being an enormously experienced and resourceful player, and Carlsen can't afford to relax for the rest of the games, although he may enjoy the rest day more than Anand does.

- Came back from a family dinner hoping to catch up on the game, went to the live site, saw the rook and queen on the seventh and thought "ouch". Then I saw the 1-0...

- Oh gosh! This guy anand is ruining India's reputation. The Indian flag should be removed before his name. It’s an insult for the nation.

- I dunno if any player in the world could have survived the attack OTB.
                            Magus was just breathtaking. Blunder just shortened the game
                            Last edited by Wayne Komer; Sunday, 9th November, 2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Sometimes an underdog plays like an underdog.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Carlsen's chess completely baffles me. I can't decide it its high art or just plain stubbornness. Maybe a combination of both. He creates something out of nothing and that is bewitching. Is it just me or does his style remind anyone else of Petrosian in his heyday?

Comment

Working...
                                X