Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Championship Sochi 2014

Originally posted by Rick Garel View Post
    Carlsen's chess completely baffles me. I can't decide it its high art or just plain stubbornness. Maybe a combination of both. He creates something out of nothing and that is bewitching. Is it just me or does his style remind anyone else of Petrosian in his heyday?
    No, Petrosian gets into inferior complex positions out of the opening, Magnus just gets into equal simple positions out of the opening. If anything, he's like Karpov
    Shameless self-promotion on display here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Disappointing start from Anand. It is now the 14th WCC game and he is not able to put Carlsen under pressure. Not even the challenger Karpov performed so poorly against the WC Kasparov. The way Anand lost today was disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
        - Interesting - today celebrates the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall and it so happens that Berlin fell in today's #CarlsenAnand
        Yeah, the worst day to play Berlin.
        Magnus is a hero of the day.

Peter Gabriel sings "Heroes" at Berlin Wall ceremony
        http://news.yahoo.com/video/peter-ga...183216124.html

Comment

At least VIshy retains his sense of humour despite being "under the cosh" (:

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/worl...d-1795447.html

Comment

Ladbrokes is almost tempting me to take a flyer on Vishy now (:

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/Chess-c210000170

Comment

World Championship Sochi 2014
              Game 3
              Nov. 11, 2014
              Anand, Vishy – Carlsen, Magnus
              D37 QGD, Hastings Variation

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 d5 4. Nc3 Be7 5. Bf4 O-O 6. e3 Nbd7 7. c5 c6 8. Bd3 b6 9. b4 a5 10. a3 Ba6 11. Bxa6 Rxa6 12. b5 cxb5 13. c6 Qc8 14. c7 b4 15. Nb5 a4 16. Rc1 Ne4 17. Ng5 Ndf6 18. Nxe4 Nxe4 19. f3 Ra5 20. fxe4 Rxb5 21. Qxa4 Ra5 22. Qc6 bxa3 23. exd5 Rxd5 24. Qxb6 Qd7 25. O-O Rc8 26. Rc6 g5 27. Bg3 Bb4 28. Ra1 Ba5 29. Qa6 Bxc7 30. Qc4 e5 31. Bxe5 Rxe5 32. dxe5 Qe7 33. e6 Kf8 34. Rc1 1-0

Wow!
              ________

At the press conference:

Karlovich – Can you tell us what happened in this game?

Anand – I went for a line that Levon played against Mickey Adams in the Bilbao Masters (2013), which ended in a draw. My pawn on c7 restricts Black more than his pawn on a3 worries me.

Karlovich – You were prepared to what point?

Anand – There were a lot of variations but probably to 24. Qxb6. I didn’t see 27…Bb4.

Karlovich – What went wrong for you, Magnus?

Carlsen – Poor choice of opening. He was very well prepared and I wasn’t. I could have done better but it was difficult.

Reporter – Vishy, how long did you prepare before the game?

Anand – I spent time preparing after my loss. I spent some time in the gym, I would guess I prepared for three or four hours.

Carlsen – I played basketball yesterday. I spent a lot of time preparing but what can I say, he was much better prepared for this line and played it better. As far as my seconds’ preparation, when something goes wrong, it is always my fault.

Peter Doggers – People, after about two hours, started saying on the twitterverse that the position after 26. Rc6 had been seen before in the game Tomashevsky-Riazantsev from the 2008 Russian Super Final, except that White’s pawn was on h3 not on h2! Tomashevsky won. Would you care to comment on that?

Anand – I was familiar with all the material, with the pawn on h3 or on h2. I also had to check other openings. It is not as if I spent all my time on this line.

Reporter – What is your mindset after this loss?

Carlsen – You can’t overreact to wins and losses. I have recovered well after losses before. The match goes on and there is a long way to go.

Everything went wrong in this game from the start but there will be chances in other games. The key thing is to avoid being self-destructive.

Reporter – Is the Tiger back?

Anand – Look, I am happy with the result and there is a game to play tomorrow.

Online Comments

Teymur Rajabov (tweet) – These press conferences are real torture for both players but they are an absolute must in professional sport.

Hikaru Nakamura (tweet) - Just a fantastic game from start to finish by Anand. I am really curious if he knew the Tomashevsky game though. I am not sure I believe his answer.

Nigel Short (tweet) - In summary, Vishy’s prep was far superior. Carlsen emerged with a difficult position and could not handle the problems.

Silvio Danailov (tweet) - If Magnus wants to enter in theoretical battles he needs much better seconds. He is clearly losing the opening duel so far.

Mark Crowther (tweet) – I think it’s been a miracle that walking into deep prep hasn’t happened to Carlsen before in these matches.

Mark Crowther (tweet) – Whatever happened Carlsen clearly didn’t know the Aronian-Adams game in any detail, nor Tomashevsky-Riazantsev.

- Amazing display by Vishy ! He lost the second game due to a clear blunder. It takes character to come back from that and win the very next game. It is absurd to say that Vishy does not deserve credit because this is all (or mostly) prep. Well, who asked Carlsen not to prepare ? Both of these guys are great players and they can beat each other any time. Carlsen is a better player at this point of time due to stamina, youth etc. but Vishy can beat him

- preparation or not, we've just seen how good Carlsen is when queens and bishop are kept on the board-he did no better than Riazantsev and was completely crushed. If he doesn't manage to exhaust or distract Anand this match could go both ways. Having said that, Anand played very very weak in the 2nd game so who knows what form persist.
              An exciting match so far, but the wins were much too one-sided affairs for wch level imo

- Really neat win for Anand from very well done opening preparation! Let's face it: it just was statistically improbable, that Carlsen would never run into something like this. Anand has been something like one of the lifelong top 5 preparers in chess (as Svidler put it), with a huge base of well-examined and constantly updated stuff meanwhile. Experience and preparation are factors, and that should be honoured.

If you are familiar with all the essential motifs of an opening with such a pressing passer on rank 7, playing only for two results, feeling home up to move 26, while your opponent tries to solve problem after problem with huge time investment from move 17 on, that's a HUGE benefit from prep.

Only after 26.g5?! Bg3?! (two suboptimal moves from both) 27. Bb4! Anand really had to completely make his own way, and find two(!) strong moves with Ra1 and Qa6, before Black collapsed with Ba5? Of course black finally wants to solve the c7 problem, but at first sight I don't see how white would have progressed if black tolerates the tension and keeps a waiting strategy with moves like h6 etc. Not sure if any of you sees a clear white win then? White can hardly progress with the rook on a1, can he?

So: congratulations to Anand for a win, which will come as terrific release to him. Why shouldn't such a nice guy enjoy such a day!

And still: you will probably all disagree with me, but from my view Carlsen again played more of really strong chess than Anand, even today. All the time from move 17 on he was walking through an unknown minefield and managed to hold this crap of a black position longer than I ever could imagine from anyone else, having a huge choice of weaker possibilities move by move. In fact that was a much higher achievement concerning concentration, creativity and energy, than Anand had to invest, though he played the huge advantage fine to the end.

Not to get me wrong: this does not take anything from Anand's achievement from my view. And if he could repeat getting Carlsen into his prep repeatedly, that would be a huge threat to Magnus. But what impresses me most by far in this match so far, is to see how Magnus is simply the better player not only for endgames, but from the middlegame on, as soon he gets a halfway decent position to play. And this is why I am not really concerned: I simply doubt that Anand will get too many of such chances, while he will have to face the stronger player for the rest of the match, in every well playable position.

- People will say I'm crazy, but I'm now predicting the Match will go to Anand, 6.5 - 1.5.

- Now it is going to be fun...The first win for Anand in their 13 combined championship games.

- Not sure how many noticed this: Anand had a triple battery today, just as Carlsen had one in the last game. I think it was against Gelfand in a WC Anand levelled right in the next game after his opponent took the initial lead. I'm hoping that Anand makes the most out of this one and plays sound chess psychologically for rest of the match.

- As amateur chess players, this is game is excellent example how a passed pawn can humble even the highest rated chess player. This game really is a "classic" in my mind and reiterates two points - power of passed pawn and "pin to win"!!!!
              "chess is a sport and not a science" (Kasparov) - To make a comeback after the crushing loss in game 2 is exemplary!!

- This is just great for the match! Magnus will have to shape up against a well-prepared Anand to show that he is the future of chess - and hopefully he will. Anand represents the past but should step down with dignity - a great player like him deserves to do that.

- I have a feeling this game will be included in chess textbooks for a looooooong time. As a novice, it's really impressive to see what a difference a passed pawn (and an opening passer at that!) can make in a WC match.

- After going +0-6=18 the last four years against Carlsen and blundering away a couple of games this win must feel incredibly good for Anand.
              Last edited by Wayne Komer; Tuesday, 11th November, 2014, 02:39 PM.

Comment

The game is on! At the very least, Anand has demonstrated that he is no pushover. The score is, however, even. Carlsen must remain the favourite. But those of us who are rooting for the "old guy", a great champion, can take heart in his brilliant performance.

Comment

If I heard him right, in the press conference Anand conceded that his preparation took him at least through to move 22. Ye gods. I am out of my prep on move 4 if I am lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                    If I heard him right, in the press conference Anand conceded that his preparation took him at least through to move 22. Ye gods. I am out of my prep on move 4 if I am lucky.
                    They were following a game played recently by Aronian and Adams up until move 20, so it's not really surprising.

Comment

Those 1/20 and 15/2 betting odds didn't last long (:

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/Chess-c210000170

Comment

World Championship Sochi 2014
                        Game Four
                        November 12, 2014
                        Carlsen, Magnus – Anand Viswanathan
                        B40 Sicilian Defence

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.g3 Nc6 4.Bg2 d5 5.exd5 exd5 6.O-O Nf6 7.d4 Be7 8.Be3 cxd4 9.Nxd4 Bg4 10.Qd3 Qd7 11.Nd2 O-O 12.N2f3 Rfe8 13.Rfe1 Bd6 14.c3 h6 15.Qf1 Bh5 16.h3 Bg6 17.Rad1 Rad8 18.Nxc6 bxc6 19.c4 Be4 20.Bd4 Nh7 21.cxd5 Bxd5 22.Rxe8+ Rxe8 23.Qd3 Nf8 24.Nh4 Be5 25.Bxd5 Qxd5 26.Bxe5 Qxe5 27.b3 Ne6 28.Nf3 Qf6 29.Kg2 Rd8 30. Qe2 Rd5 31. Rxd5 cxd5 32. Ne5 Qf5 33. Nd3 Nd4 34. g4 Qd7 35. Qe5 Ne6 36. Kg3 Qb5 37. Nf4 Nxf4 38. Kxf4 Qb4+ 39. Kf3 d4 40. Qe8+ Kh7 41. Qxf7 Qd2 42. Qf5+ Kh8 43. h4 Qxa2 44. Qe6 Qd2 45. Qe8+ Kh7 46. Qe4+ Kh8 47. Qe8+ Kh7 ½-½

Peter Svidler says that he joins the combatants from the Petrosian Memorial tomorrow when they come to Sochi for the Tal Memorial Blitz tournament. 22 games in two days! So, the participants are Grischuk, Kramnik, Gelfand, Leko, Morozevich, Inarkiev, Karjakin, Nepomniachtchi, Svidler, Kosteniuk, Mamedyarov and Tomashevsky in the double round tourney.

Press Conference

This seemed very strained with Carlsen not wanting to talk very much. He said he thought he was a bit better out of the opening but he played terribly today. He was not worried when short of time near the control because it was clear what moves to make.

Anand said that he was a bit worried in the endgame until he saw 41..Qd2.

Reporters asked if he checked out the Tomashevsky game mentioned yesterday and Carlsen was non-committal. The players were asked about Grischuk’s victory in the Petrosian Memorial and whether they would watch the Tal Memorial blitz in Sochi during their rest day?

Then, mercifully, the transmission sputtered and was lost.
                        ______

Comments On-Line

- Glad to see that even the draws are being played out. Good match so far!

- The match seems evenly poised now. Both the players looked to play aggressively without any undue risks. Hope there are more Sicilian games in the match. Maybe I am biased, but somehow Anand looked more comfortable today even though the engines were giving a slight advantage to white. Game 5 will be crucial for Anand because Carlsen has two consecutive games with white pieces after that.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Anand finds a nice trick during tomorrow's rest day.

- I don't know why Carlsen is so disappointed at the press conference. 2-2 is OK and he is still with advantages. Hopefully he can take a good break and buck up.

- After the kind of odd-looking 23...Nf8, Stockfish liked 24 Bc3, keeping the white bishops on the board. I don't know if it would have led to anything much, but once the bishops all got swapped off, they might as well have agreed to a draw.

- Is Magnus determined to play every game in time trouble? Not often, but sometimes it appeared he had a straightforward move and he would spend countless minutes on it. (22. Rxe8+, etc)

I know that big brain of his is thinking everything through but I feel he is causing himself damage by eating up time getting to the end game.

Mark Crowther (tweet) – Carlsen is a moody player. Especially evident this year. If he puts together a good week, I’ve a feeling it still could end fast.

Tarjel Svensen (tweet) – Magnus did not want to speak to the Norwegian press today.

Claudia Munoz (tweet) - They did it! Congratulations European Space Agency for landing the first probe on a comet!

Erwin l’Ami (tweet) - Don't really get why everybody declares this game drawn. For instance 41.Qxf7 Qd2 42.Ke4 d3 43.Kd4!? looks very testing to me.

Nigel Short (tweet) – Having squeezed something out of nothing, Magnus has let it slip. Slender winning chances for him now.

- Is streaming video that difficult? Seems every single chess tournament for the last two years has had streaming video problems

- How am I supposed to work when Carlsen/Anand is happening?

Tarjel Svensen (tweet) – Carlsen asked about a Tomashevsky game from yesterday that was followed: “I worry about my own games and Tomashevsky can worry about his.”
                        Last edited by Wayne Komer; Wednesday, 12th November, 2014, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                          I absolutely cannot stand Sopiko Guramishvili.
                          Is she really so incredibly beautiful, Andy as people say?

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
                            No, she is not. What are your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
                              Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. https://www.facebook.com/sopiko.guramishvili

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                                No, she is not. What are your thoughts?
                                Her body is slim and she is elegant and in addition she plays chess well. No doubts in that!

Comment

Working...
                                X