Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Re : Re: World Championship Sochi 2014

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
    I normally wouldn't call you out on anything Gary, but you seem very flippy-floppy, kind of like one of those bandwagonners that I despise :P

"I wouldn't bet a lot of money on Carlsen winning the match. Even considering it's chess, winning the championship and retaining it in a rematch are not an exact science.

We'll soon find out if Carlsen won the championship or rented it for one cycle."

You have to stick with your man, through thick and thin, through disease and famine and even in hopeless times.
    You're right, Bindi. I wrote that. I thought Anand was going to win and fairly easily.

It became obvious to me that wasn't in the cards.

Kind of reminds me of the time Eddie Shack said "Stick a Fork in Them. They're done".

The match isn't really long enough for players to come back from any kind of problems. It should really be 20 games where the players can lose a couple of games and still make a match of it even if they go down a couple of games.

Also, I never considered the Berlin a defense to play for a win. I used it to get draws against players I didn't figure I could defeat and it worked really well for me.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

• Re: World Championship Sochi 2014

World Championship Sochi 2014

Magnus Carlsen gave an interview to Anastasiya Karlovich after the match. Unlike the press conferences, it is relaxed and informative.

One excerpt:

Which players were helping you in the match? We saw on the Internet that Garry Kasparov was supporting you with tweets. Did he give you any special advice for this tournament?

Yes, I was in touch with Garry before the match, and during the match he was regularly in contact with Peter Heine to give advice.

And who else?

Peter Heine was here, and Jon Ludvig. Laurent Fressinet and Michael Adams were helping from home.

What about Michael Adams. Why did you choose him and what exactly could he contribute?

He has a little bit of a different approach than the others. He is been one of the very top players himself. He adds a human perspective.

And the fact that he played many games with Anand?

Yes sure! He knows Anand quite well, and that doesn’t hurt.

Can you give names of players who might be your opponents in the future, maybe in two years?

I think the most obvious candidates are Fabiano Caruana, Levon Aronian and Alexander Grischuk.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/carlsen...fter-the-match

Anastasiya ends with a hypothetical question about Magnus being offered enough money to stop playing chess. Where do interviewers get these off-the-wall type questions? I believe Barbara Walters once asked Katharine Hepburn, “If you were a tree, what kind would you be?”

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
        So now, how many years is it now until another WC match?
        I think it's two years.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Interesting articles on chessbase.com, where Magnus shares his thoughts on the match. Unfortunately, they don't go into the specifics very much. I'd love to see a book by Carlsen on his career so far. His style is a little different, even in analysis.

And I still think he would have drawn that game #6 had Anand seen 26...Nxe5. Since the h6 pawn is weak, white can try to steer that into a endgame with a pawn less, but the two bishops. Otherwise, black can take the bishop on e3 and defend his pawn on h6, but he's then stuck with an inactive rook on h8.

I really don't get why everybody says it was winning for black. White has good chances of saving it.
          Last edited by Mathieu Cloutier; Saturday, 6th December, 2014, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post

I really don't get why everybody says it was winning for black. White has good chances of saving it.
            I thought the issue was mainly that Anand had missed the move.

I think playing a game where you're playing for a win is easier than playing a game where the best outcome, providing you don't make an error is a draw.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              I thought the issue was mainly that Anand had missed the move.

I think playing a game where you're playing for a win is easier than playing a game where the best outcome, providing you don't make an error is a draw.
              I agree, missing that move really affected Anand. His mind just wasn't fully there for the rest of the game.

However, I think that this mutual 'blunder' has been overblown. The game was drawable for black before 26.Kd2. Then, for half a move, it became better for black, but still well within the range of a draw even after 26...Nxe5. Then, after 26...a4, it was again better for white, but still possible for black to draw.

For me, a real blunder has to clearly change the evaluation of the position. But with engines nowadays, everybody gets all excited when they see a +0.5 becoming a -0.7. They don't even look deeply at the variations. What if +1 amounts only to a rook endgame with a pawn more?

The quality of the games in this match was fine, IMO. We've seen much worse in terms of blunders in World Championship matches.

Comment

Working...
              X