FIDE sponsored GM norm tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE sponsored GM norm tournaments

Two organizers stepped forward with proposals to organize GM norm events under the sponsorship agreement with FIDE. Both events will take place in the summer of 2015. The successful bids were by Larry Bevand and the CMA for a Montreal or nearby area bid for a tournament in August and by Hal Bond and the Kitchener Chessfest which has set a date spanning late July and early August. Some details remain to be worked out.

Re: FIDE sponsored GM norm tournaments

The directors voted to accept the CMA bid unanimously with some of the details still to be worked out. The Kitchener Chessfest bid passed by a vote of 5 - 1 with one abstention (Hal Bond).

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      The directors voted to accept the CMA bid unanimously with some of the details still to be worked out. The Kitchener Chessfest bid passed by a vote of 5 - 1 with one abstention (Hal Bond).
      That is great news, two superb organizer groups!

Comment

Thanks to Larry and Hal for stepping up to the plate, once again.

Comment

I voted against Hal's proposal. I do not believe members of the executive should be applying for or receiving these grants.

Comment

I have to admit to thinking the same thing.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I am of the opinion that all Voting Members (governors) should be active tournament organisers. Whether executive members should be recipients of grants is a bit different, but it would be easy enough to have the official organiser a different person, while the executive member remained in the background.

I'm just glad we are getting the tournaments.

Comment

And, of course, we had to turn away so many organizers who could have used the grant, making the awarded events favouritism. Oh, maybe not, who were all those organizers who suffered from the choices anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                  And, of course, we had to turn away so many organizers who could have used the grant, making the awarded events favouritism. Oh, maybe not, who were all those organizers who suffered from the choices anyway?
                  I thought there were 2 applications and 2 accepted (and it looks like Ken Craft was the lone nay vote for only 1 of the proposals).
                  I guess that is what you were implying? - the only applications that were received were accepted. It isn't like we (the CFC) has
                  been swamped with tournament proposals - with or without the grant money.

I see Ken's point and I am pleased to see him stand on principle (as always). It is a valid point in my opinion (and although easily
                  circumvented) it does highlight the need for complete transparency. I don't have a problem with Hal and a group receiving the
                  grant per se - I do expect there will be complete accounting (something often lacking in non-grant tournaments I might add.
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

But these TDs and organizers are mostly volunteers so it's unreasonable to ask them to do that.

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                    I don't have a problem with Hal and a group receiving the
                    grant per se - I do expect there will be complete accounting (something often lacking in non-grant tournaments I might add.
                    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I was a bit surprised that BC didn't submit a bid. I spoke to someone who seemed interested in organizing a norms tournament on the west coast even before this funding became available, but I guess they changed their mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                        I was a bit surprised that BC didn't submit a bid. I spoke to someone who seemed interested in organizing a norms tournament on the west coast even before this funding became available, but I guess they changed their mind.
                        without speaking for any other BC organizers, it's dirty money and I will have nothing to do with it in any shape, way or form.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                          without speaking for any other BC organizers, it's dirty money and I will have nothing to do with it in any shape, way or form.
                          Money is money, Roger. I thought you would know better.

Comment

Re : Re: FIDE sponsored GM norm tournaments

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                            This is exactly my thought. I was looking at possibly organizing a norm tournament in the future and this money would have made it easy to organize... But considering where the money comes from, and how some of my family/friends suffered from corruption and the Putin administration in Russia, I will pass

Comment

No, it's perfectly reasonable to require complete accounting in order to receive $10k in grant money. In fact I would expect it.

As long as Hal can provide the accounting to show that he does not gain financial benefit from organizing or directing this tournament, and given that no other bids were given, I'm ok with the bids as awarded. However if the bids show Hal receiving financial gain, then I have a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X