X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Proportional Representation in Canada

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
    More on declining voter turnout.

1. Compulsory civics classes doesn't address the common complaint among many who see no point in voting; many simply argue that voting changes nothing, that the system is corrupt, that all politicians are not held to any sort of honesty requirement, that they can say whatever lie they wish during the election and get away with it after the election, and, of course, that FPTP is a rotten system anyway, for the reasons enumerated by MP Crowder. The reasons why people don't vote really should be respected, and solicited, instead of being treated as a criminal act (as in Australia) or mental defect.

Incidentally, treating Prop Rep as an NDP conspiracy, etc., is a mistake. Where the current system benefits the NDP, as in Manitoba where they have formed the government for over a decade, they don't seem to have any interest in reforming the system and getting rid of FPTP despite having the reigns of power for so many years. Then again, why would they reform their province when no one else has any intention of doing so? Does FPTP really serve the people of Alberta with such a lack of diversity in their legislature?

2. We used to have the right to "refuse" a ballot, i.e., "none of the above" but this has been taken away from us in the last 10 years or so.

3. Declining voter turnout is a Canadian problem. Making reference to some uniqueness of the Canadian system, or disparaging the rest of the world as of "weak" morality, does nothing to solve this very serious problem. We now have a situation in which a minority of a fraction of all possible voters decides who forms the government. Democracy is failing. Things should be going in the other direction, and they're not. This is called "the hollowing out of democracy" in which people have less and less of a say about how they are governed, the political parties come to resemble each other more and more, and the neo-liberal kool-aid is drunk by all governments, all of whom apply brutal austerity to one degree or another. Meanwhile, a whole raft of global and Canada-wide problems fester, not the least of which is a catastrophic global tipping point for the environment which poses a serious threat to human life on the planet. Politicians fiddle while Mother Earth burns. We're running out of time.
    Hi Nigel

On your point #1, I have to agree with Alvah. The current electoral system is not broken. Majority governments can get things done, which is especially important in times of crisis. Legislative gridlock as often occurs in the US is in contrast not such a problem in Canada, if one views it as such, even when a party has a minority government (e.g. Liberal + NDP). To elaborate on an earlier point I made, in Isreal, for example, parties seldom get a majority, and governing parties have had to make deals with extremist fringe parties holding only a handful of seats in order to maintain power.

Italy has a similar problem with having a 'pizza parliament' of multiple parties, and (expensive) elections are frequent, last I heard. I noticed Australia was one example you used in your second last post, yet now you are not so pleased with its mandatory voting aspect (and would voting participation there really be up otherwise?). You, or anyone else, such as Crowder, haven't yet seemed to show a large number of nations with everything specifically desired in the way of a shining electoral system in place and at the same time also proven to work well in terms of how desirable each nation listed is as far as being lived in.

The first time I noticed the decline in values of Canadian politicians when I was growing up was with P. Trudeau's governments. Until then, there was ministerial responsibility, which meant that when there was even a whiff of scandal, a cabinet minister would ethically step down until he was cleared. Trudeau insisted on keeping them at their posts through any scandal. As far as taking care of corrupt politicians goes, I have to admire Quebec voters. At least they are not the sort of sheep that many Ontario voters seem to be. In Quebec, a corrupt provincial Liberal government was punished not so long ago, in contrast to Ontario. I blame uninformed or apathetic voters for keeping bad governments in power.

Also, in Alberta, two parties that I know of (Reform, and much later Wildrose) were formed because of discontent. Voters and aspiring candidates there also didn't just sit on their @$$, and just complain about the electoral system. For a while these new parties seemed to stick to their principles and integrity, at least until their shelf life seemed to pass. In any event, all politicians or parties who are elected for too long are at risk of becoming corrupted.

As I have explained above, there are remedies available to voters besides the changing of the electoral system. As far as your argument about the NDP in Manitoba goes, I don't see how it contradicts me regarding my asserting that the NDP, for example, is likely being self-serving as far as what electoral system they'd prefer (indeed, you seem to contradict yourself, as you point out that the NDP in Manitoba, when in power there, is not interested in changing whatever system currently exists there - it just happens to be FPTP there).

On your point #2, afaik one can still 'decline' their ballot, at least in Ontario. There was a record number of voters who bothered to last time, though less than I might wish for:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/06...ts-since-1975/

On your point #3, I've addressed voter turnout already. Canada is unique, for example, if only because there are two founding nations that have at least somewhat different civil justice systems and customs, and have different political ways of doing things. Otherwise, I can observe that your worldview and mine are fundamentally different. So-called global warming is nothing but a wrong belief based on mistakes or the result of a conspiracy, as far as I'm concerned.

Any climate change, if it exists, is not man-made I estimate, but may be rather due to solar activity or perhaps even due to a magnetic polar shift that's overdue (and could be at least be partly responsible for any dieoff of bees). The world is more likely cooling than warming. One thing that has hardly been convincingly explained away by global warmers is how Vikings were farming in Greenland some thousand years ago or so.

Today's global problems are largely the result of the decline of morality, afaik. Everything from super-corrupt bankers and corporations (and politicians) to runaway drug use, abortion and legalized euthanasia in some nations, for example. Did you know that in Holland, seniors have had their lives ended without their consent, at times? - you'd think Europe would have learned from its experience with Nazism. Here's a wikipedia link on euthanasia in Holland that offers at least some info the topic, but it may be obsolete already (I have heard that over there recently economics have actually been factored into some such life and death decisions):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthana...he_Netherlands

Even if one didn't personally believe in God, Judao-Christian values had their purpose, and were the basis for Canada's way of life in the past, at least. In the western world these days, many people feel entitled, are narcissistic and won't hesistate to cheat to get ahead in life. At least part of this can be blamed on the multi-pronged assault on the basic family unit, e.g. high divorce rates producing maladjusted children in many cases as a result.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Saturday, 31st January, 2015, 09:13 PM. Reason: Adding content
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

continuing declining voter turnout makes a fake democracy.

Kevin, that's a grand example of a "stream of consciousness" used in literature. It's less effective when you're trying to convince someone of something.

Anyway, I noticed that at no point did you really address the very serious problem of declining voter turnout. It would be easy to conclude that you don't really think it's all that important. With the FPTP system that you admire so much, we will soon get to the point where 20% or 10% of the population decides the flavour of government. That's not democracy; it's a fake democracy, a farce.

Yes, they could get things done. Dictatorships "get things done" too. No thanks.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: continuing declining voter turnout makes a fake democracy.

That graph doesn't really prove too much, since you may notice that we were at such a fairly low voter turnout somewhat over century ago. It's too early to trust the 'trend' that graph pretends to show IMO. Coincidentally, the last time I recall seeing someone wanting to show a trend with a graph, it was with the bogus 'hockey stick' graph provided for trying to show global warming. :) Other than that, this is chesstalk, and IMO people generally don't convince others of contrary positions to theirs much of the time, whether they are trying to do it with 'proof' or otherwise.

I suppose I could dig up more websites and stats myself if you wanted more 'proof' of the points I tried to make. That's excluding so-called global warming, which was one largely unrelated issue you brought up in so many words. I responded to it with my opinion based on what I've taken in with my eyes and ears. I did so also in spite of apparently being open to your calling my point-by point response to your own grand second last post a 'stream of consciousness'. An extensive post in rebuttal of that post of yours, i.e. with extensive 'proof' provided by me, would have been too long, unless I split it into numerous posts, which I felt unwarranted and undesirable.

Nevertheless, I feel the onus is on you and the NDP/Crowder to do better, since you're asking for things to change, as far as Canada's electoral system goes. Warning that dictatorship may be coming some day in the far future proves nothing, if that's what you were trying to do (or did you want minority/coalition governments, or legislative gridlock, forever?). If you re-read my previous two posts, you'll see I gave my own remedies for supposedly low voter turnout (i.e. with no change to the electoral system), if that is indeed a valid concern after all. You may, in so many words, call my remedies unrealistic, but please acknowledge that I tried.

If your next complaint is that I didn't mention certain minorities supposedly being under-represented, I say let them get more politically active and help form a party that caters more to their needs, no matter how long it takes. Reform, Wildrose and even the Bloc are examples of parties that spring out of nowhere if enough people care. But, that is an implication of my previous post...

Note that it's true that Reform split the vote on the Right for a while (and the Left did not weep, as Alvah noted), but in the end they had their say in forming a party that formed the government after a number of years. I'd rather have them sacrifice the Right's interest's for many years than push for changing the electoral system for short term gain for themselves that would risk damaging the nation with a system that has hardly been around in the world as long as FPTP.

P.S.: Regarding my previous post, in case it wasn't clear/known to you, both Isreal and Italy have governments by proportional representation. That's one reason I gave them as examples, of things apparently not working so well for these countries and that electoral system.
        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 1st February, 2015, 01:21 AM. Reason: Adding content

Comment

Clearly, the party you support (whichever one that is, of no interest to me) likes FPTP. Your venom towards Crowder makes that rather obvious.

What will happen is that some people, perhaps yourself included, will oppose every version of Prop Rep that comes along ... until it is successful. Then, such people will claim credit for an idea they were in favour of "all along".

Comment

venom???????

I really don't like any of my choices to vote for federally at the moment. Liberals I like the least, as I have explained elsewhere, based on past heavy corruption (Sponsorship scandal) alone - enough time has not passed for a clean sweep IMO. The Cons are now at the least tainted by the whiff of some unknown amount of corruption IMO, but I like many of their positions, e.g. on terrorism and crime. The NDP actually was where I was going to park my vote (rather than having to spoil my vote or not vote, if there is no acceptable fringe party in my riding, which discounts Green for me), but I found out in the past that they have had a tendency for dirty campaign tricks, at least in one riding in my city. So with corruption looking like a wash for all major parties, it comes down to J. Trudeau must be stopped for me, e.g. because of his handling of the terrorism issue.
            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 1st February, 2015, 11:49 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Nigel, to show I'm not completely close-minded, here's some circumstantial 'evidence' for the success of proportional representation (although I can't tell just from the list if the nations involved are more livable because of this system, which I view as an experiment at this early time in its history):

Here's a list of the world's 10 most livable countries as ranked in 2014:

http://listdose.com/top-10-most-liva...-in-the-world/

The countries listed are:

1. Norway
              2. Australia
              3. USA
              4. Netherlands
              5. Germany
              6. New Zealand
              7. Ireland
              8. Sweden
              9. Switzerland
              10. Japan

Only the USA does not use proportional representation, which I suppose may reflect that a lot of countries are experimenting with it worldwide.

Comment

Voters turnout. Always an interesting question.

IMO, people don't vote because they know it won't make a difference. We'll align with the States on whatever is critical. And corporations will get what they want.

It's like this in many countries. In Canada, there's another problem. MPs are totally useless. They'll do and say whatever the party leader wants them to. You almost never hear of a MP clearly disagreeing with the party line. What's the point then? Let's just elect the PM and be done with it.

Proportional representation won't change that. I think it's a problem they actually like. Let people focus on a totally pointless issue.

Comment

Mathieu, I dunno, it seems like Kevin's argument is "do nothing", and your argument is "do nothing because it's better than doing something that is a waste of time". If either of you want to do your homework, then there is plenty of data about the superiority of some version of Prop Rep (sans cherry picking as Kevin has done) over the pre-democratic and primitive FPTP system.

All good ideas are defecated on until they are accepted. Then they're treated as obvious and true. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                    Nigel, to show I'm not completely close-minded, here's some circumstantial 'evidence' for the success of proportional representation (although I can't tell just from the list if the nations involved are more livable because of this system, which I view as an experiment at this early time in its history):

Only the USA does not use proportional representation, which I suppose may reflect that a lot of countries are experimenting with it worldwide.

(And earlier:)...

Even if one didn't personally believe in God, Judao-Christian values had their purpose, and were the basis for Canada's way of life in the past, at least. In the western world these days, many people feel entitled, are narcissistic and won't hesistate to cheat to get ahead in life. At least part of this can be blamed on the multi-pronged assault on the basic family unit, e.g. high divorce rates producing maladjusted children in many cases as a result.
                    I found it interesting to call democracy experiments. Civilization is always evolving and today we are more democratic than ever. We've been experimenting with Capitalism for the past 200 years, moving from children in factories and coal mines, to world wide-labour and world-wide markets, and to computer trickery. Judao-Christian values once propped up kings and slavery, Latin mass, man-woman marriages (of the same colour), but has evolved. The basic family unit was assaulted by the need for labour to travel to where the jobs were: industrial cities in Ontario, mining or oil up north and west. We may be narcissist and maladjusted from the excess wealth and leisure time we had in the 1950-80s, with little responsibilities. TV & film has shown us how much the wealthy have (we want it too) and to constantly consume new things. Today we are surrounded by more people and media, yet have stronger feelings of being isolated and alone.

[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                      Mathieu, I dunno, it seems like Kevin's argument is "do nothing", and your argument is "do nothing because it's better than doing something that is a waste of time". If either of you want to do your homework, then there is plenty of data about the superiority of some version of Prop Rep (sans cherry picking as Kevin has done) over the pre-democratic and primitive FPTP system.

All good ideas are defecated on until they are accepted. Then they're treated as obvious and true. Cheers.
                      Our representation system is rotten to the core and just doesn't fit with our culture. I'll explain below.

First of all, federal income tax is inconstitutional and was instituted as a war time measure (WWI and II). But the guys loved the money so much that they forgot about their promises of going back to 'normal'.

Since then, our MPs and especially the prime minister are always talking about how they are going to invest in this and that. And talk about it like it's the government's money, so it's their money... that they are giving back to us! HEY! Dude, it's our money, not yours. And you're not investing it, you're spending it. Spend carefully, please.

Over time, our representatives sort of became entitled about the whole thing, regardless of party, political ideology or level (federal, provincial or municipal). So it's something cultural. I hate that and I don't see how we could change it.

But yeah, cheers to you as well. ;)
                      Last edited by Mathieu Cloutier; Sunday, 1st February, 2015, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Here's a wikipedia link, that includes discussing the pros and cons of PR vs. FPTP, fwiw. I'm wondering whether there might be any bias in favour of PR here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proport...representation

P.S.: in many ways I'm inclined to agree with Mathieu's point of view. However, if those in positions of power could more often be raised to respect other people's interests, as per the Golden Rule...

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                          I found it interesting to call democracy experiments. Civilization is always evolving and today we are more democratic than ever. We've been experimenting with Capitalism for the past 200 years, moving from children in factories and coal mines, to world wide-labour and world-wide markets, and to computer trickery. Judao-Christian values once propped up kings and slavery, Latin mass, man-woman marriages (of the same colour), but has evolved. The basic family unit was assaulted by the need for labour to travel to where the jobs were: industrial cities in Ontario, mining or oil up north and west. We may be narcissist and maladjusted from the excess wealth and leisure time we had in the 1950-80s, with little responsibilities. TV & film has shown us how much the wealthy have (we want it too) and to constantly consume new things. Today we are surrounded by more people and media, yet have stronger feelings of being isolated and alone.
                          Hi Erik

PR is in a relatively early stage of widespread use - hence I call it experimental. If something is clearly broke, sure, why not experiment with something else? I addressed such things as sweatshops in another thread - I blamed governments for not caring enough about the welfare of their workers. In such times unions were created of necessity, but now they have too much influence politically, etc. I wrote replacing unions with sufficent legislation to protect worker's welfare better might be a feasible solution (true, you might view it as an experiment). As far as globalism and advancing technology goes, I am not sure they have served us well at all. There is more evil in the world than ever IMO, and 'computer trickery' or 24/7 news, for example, reveals it a lot more often to people than before. Then there is the anti-social/narcissistic aspect of all these hand-held devices people carry around (plus, people have died as a result of being distracted).

The sexual revolution, pill, legal abortion, alternative lifestyles, experimentation with drugs etc. have done us no favours, at least as far as social problems and threats to the family unit go, IMO. A lot of that happened in the supposedly idealistic 1960's. Children have to be taught not to cry when they go to a shopping mall early in life and can't take home anything they want - it is the same way with adults envying wealth, I suppose. Be content with what you have is an old-fashioned Judao-Christian value. Any religion, sadly, can be misused, as you've alluded to, however.

Comment

Be content with what you have is an old-fashioned Judeo-Christian value.
                            Hi Kevin: For many people in today's society, that is glossing over an awful lot of today's societal problems.....imagine you wouldn't be saying that to the homeless, the under-funded by the taxpayer elderly widow, now single mother in poverty for fleeing domestic and child violence, with refusal to pay child support, etc. I'm afraid the statement you make is only applicable to some, and they are the winners in today's tweaked (far from enough) capitalism.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                              Hi Kevin: For many people in today's society, that is glossing over an awful lot of today's societal problems.....imagine you wouldn't be saying that to the homeless, the under-funded by the taxpayer elderly widow, now single mother in poverty for fleeing domestic and child violence, with refusal to pay child support, etc. I'm afraid the statement you make is only applicable to some, and they are the winners in today's tweaked (far from enough) capitalism.

Bob

Bob, glossing over today's societal problems is a specialty of right-wing thinkers. Not sure about Kevin, but people like Donald Trump, Mitt Romney, Sarah Palin would and often do be saying that to the segments you mention. In their view, the winners are the ones that matter, the ones that shape and guide society, and the losers should learn to fend for themselves and not rely on government. It's Darwinian thinking. From what I gather, this is the thinking that Stephen Harper represents and practices. Trying to use moral persuasion ("imagine you wouldn't be saying that to...") on at least those people, of which Kevin may be one, is like pouring water on a duck's back to try and get him soaking wet.

According to Bible scripture, which Kevin seems to consider important in terms of choosing a lifestyle at least, Jesus said "The poor shall always be with you." This implies that no amount of tweaking capitalism will rid us of the kind of people you talk about. Even a socialist country like Sweden is sure to have such people albeit perhaps in smaller numbers. But then Sweden isn't exactly leading the world economy through rough times, is it?

So at least in the minds of politicians and especially here in the U.S. (which Canada emulates), the question really does boil down to a choice between pro-business, let-the-market-decide, trickle-down wealth effect VERSUS social safety net, government-knows-best, redistribute wealth, legislate checks and bounds. The more you have of the former, the less you must have of the latter and vice-versa. Which is best depends on what the majority prefer to have. In Sweden's favor is that it may be a more decent country in which to live than the U.S. Maybe it would be best if we could all pick and choose which country in the world we want to live... and many who can still do choose the U.S. with all its blemishes, even when George W was running things.
                              Only the rushing is heard...
                              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

:o
                                Be content with what you have is an old-fashioned Judeo-Christian value.
                                Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post

Bob
                                Hi Bob

I was replying to Erik's post, so try to keep in mind the context. The bible has other things to say, such as about the poor - I believe Erik was refering to the person of average wealth these days.

While I'm not very good at recalling or finding bible verses, fwiw I believe there may be something in it to the effect that it's better to teach a man how to fish than to give him one to eat. One possible clue on how one might view socialism from a biblical point of view, if indeed I am right. [edit: apparently not, I found out after a Google search - it's actually based on a chinese proverb: a common mistake :o - at least the part you quoted me on is in the bible.]

[edit: here's a link describing Socialism from a Christian viewpoint. While many are in favour of it, Catholics appear to be cool to it, based on my quick reading - keep in mind that they are the most numerous of Christians:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_socialism

]

Bear in mind that at the moment I am a free thinking Christian IMO, i.e. I suspect what used to be in the bible long ago may have at times been lost in translation. Thus, as much as I'd prefer not to, I believe what my heart tells me whenever what I read does not make sense to me from experience. One thing I definitely do not believe is that just any rich man has very little chance of entering heaven.
                                Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 2nd February, 2015, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X