X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Major Shakeup at the CFC?

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    or perhaps the extra money?
    Of course, but there are (were?) labour laws for maximum hours and the work was stressful. With more than 200 workers I had to spread the overtime around.

I was doing the overtime, time off, vacations and shift changes. It was a great job and lots of fun. Then my health got bad again.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Two Governors have now resigned over the Executive's behaviour. I can't remember the last time that has happened.

Comment

Hi Ken:

One problem with this though, is that it doesn't help move Barry Thorvardson's motion forward, which seems to be the only concrete thing being done by the governors to try to stop what David is doing, or at least, to try to rescind it at some point in the future, when the motion gets voted on ( assuming it is not at some point ruled out of order ).

Bob

Comment

I hate to say it but Barry's motion is probably ultra vires.

Nulli Carborundum illegitimi.

ETA: The best steps the Governors could take is to elect a slate dedicated to setting the matter right.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
            Two Governors have now resigned over the Executive's behaviour. I can't remember the last time that has happened.
            I'm not well enough informed about what is happening to make a judgment. I read an agreement could not be reached and a former ED has been re-employed. Don't even know if it's contract piece work.

What's the problem?
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Hi Ken:

One problem with this though, is that it doesn't help move Barry Thorvardson's motion forward, which seems to be the only concrete thing being done by the governors to try to stop what David is doing, or at least, to try to rescind it at some point in the future, when the motion gets voted on ( assuming it is not at some point ruled out of order ).

Bob
              I had offered to second Barry's motion, but in the meantime another Governor did (I believe it was Valer Demian?). Anyway, even though I offered to second it, I didn't believe it would ever make it to a vote - I think it would have set a new speed record for 'out of order'. That is just my opinion. As Ken points out, it very well may truly be out of order, but it was indeed a genuine reaction (in a very negative way) from a number of Governors. All moot now in my view.
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hi Kerry:

Barry Thorvardson told me it was Eric van Dusen who seconded the motion. Barry says his is not aware of any way to force David, as chair of the Assembly, to call an " urgent " vote on his motion. He sees it meandering its way through the GL's in the normal way, and eventually getting voted on sometime - may be " moot " by that point as you say. Might even be CFC liability at that point to Gerry Litchfield, if the governors voted to rescind the new contract.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  It was a great job and lots of fun. Then my health got bad again.
                  Hey, that sounds like great opening lines for a science fiction book about pandemics, both past and future.
                  Only the rushing is heard...
                  Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                    Hey, that sounds like great opening lines for a science fiction book about pandemics, both past and future.
                    Doesn't apply. A pandemic is usually thought of as being an illness which can be passed from one person to another in one way or another.

It would be a great opening line for a book on medical science and modern parts and electronics which keep people going. Maybe I should buy some stock in the company and then I could say I like the product so well I bought the company. :)
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The problem is that this seems very sudden... did any of the governors know anything about this before it happened???

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lohner View Post
                        The problem is that this seems very sudden... did any of the governors know anything about this before it happened???
                        No. The only people more surprised by the Governors were the 3 people who were axed: Bob Gillanders and his two staffers: Vincent Chow and Paul Beckwith (only Bob was an official employee of the CFC; Vince and Paul were helping Bob with the workload and were paid from the money the CFC was occasionally* paying Bob)

*[wait for more news on the use of the word "occasionally" - there is still money owing from the CFC that is in dispute]

Two Governors resigned more or less immediately over this: Kerry Liles and Tony Ficzere.

Comment

I am sure you are over-reacting with all this non-stop negativity. The CFC Executive, once again and always, acts in the best interest of Canadian chess.
                          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                            No. The only people more surprised by the Governors were the 3 people who were axed
                            I doubt. As I understand negotiations lasted more then three month.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              I doubt. As I understand negotiations lasted more then three month.
                              That is what you were told.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                                The CFC Executive, once again and always, acts in the best interest of Canadian chess.
                                :)

It certainly leaves me with a warm fuzzy feeling. I await the day when the membership numbers get to the point where the members can be referred to only on a first name basis. The day when even a basement won't be necessary to run the organization. One person will be able to run the organization in his head. The day when the financial books will fit on the back of a match cover. The day when all the governors catch on and step aside.
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X