Rencontres Internationales des Echecs Francophones 2015 - Montréal du 16 au 27 juille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rencontres Internationales des Echecs Francophones 2015 - Montréal du 16 au 27 juille

Is this replacing the 2015 Quebec Open?

http://aidef.ffechecs.org/

http://aidef.ffechecs.org/IMG/pdf/3o...ancophones.pdf

I just noticed that the first round is on July 17th, same day as the last round of the Canadian Closed.

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...ghlight=closed

Re: Rencontres Internationales des Echecs Francophones 2015 - Montréal du 16 au 27 ju

The FQE's calendar shows the Quebec Open starting on Saturday, July 18. Will this be an overlapping event, or will it replace the Quebec Open this year?

Comment

Re: Rencontres Internationales des Echecs Francophones 2015 - Montréal du 16 au 27 ju

Yes, this replaces (in fact is merged to) the Quebec Open.

While the Quebec Open was originally scheduled to start on July 18, the AIDEF requested a free day during the tournament and asked the tournament to start on July 17 instead. Hal Bond helped the FQE for this project and is well aware of the conflict. I believe he and the FQE president were working on an arrangement that would avoid any conflict.

I would also like to point out that the document published by the AIDEF is not 100% final, hence why we waited before advertizing all the details on Chesstalk. Some things are still to be finalized, such as the exact venue, but players should expect to have all the final details (in French and English) very soon. In any case, the dates cannot not be changed.

For those who do not speak French, here are some of the main details from the link provided by Rene :
      The Quebec Open will be merged with the 3rd International Championship of French-Speaking Countries. All participants must come from a member of the AIDEF (which includes Canada, although it seems like the CFC hasn't paid its annual membership fee :) ), but are not required to speak French.
      July 17-26 in Montreal, 9 rounds. Two sections (Open and U1600). $20 000 in prizes. There will also be a blitz and a rapid championship (15 mins + 5 secs).
      Each of the 33 AIDEF countries are entitled to a representative (free accomodation + food).

EDIT : Posted by Hal Bond on the CFC discussion board :

2015 Canadian Zonal: July 9 - 16
      This event will take place from July 9 (arrival day) to July 16 in Peter Clark Hall at the University of Guelph. In order to accommodate the 2015 AIDEF Championship in Montreal, FIDE America and the CFC Executive have both agreed to a 9 round event instead of 11 rounds as originally proposed. This will also permit the use of FIDE’s time control of 40/90, G/30 +30 seconds per move throughout the game.

AIDEF Championship : Montreal July 17 – 25.
      Congratulations to FQE President Bernard Labadie and his team on their successful bid for the 2015 AIDEF Championship. AIDEF is the international francophone chess association and this will be the first time for their flagship event in Canada. It will be held in conjunction with the 2015 Quebec Open.
      Last edited by Felix Dumont; Thursday, 5th February, 2015, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Noting that countries such as the US and Cuba are not members of the AIDEF, does that mean that citizens of these countries will not be permitted to play? We may lose out on our usual group of strong Cubans.

Comment

In the case of the USA, it seems likely that their members will be able to participate. There is a seizable French-speaking population in the USA, especially in Louisiana. The federation might have to pay a fee (I think it's something like $100 to be part of the AIDEF). In any case, I am sure the AIDEF and our executive will look at the different options for American players.

I a not quite sure about Cuban players, however. That said, one of the reasons there was a pretty strong group from Cuba is because we were inviting them and helping them cover their expenses. I am not sure it would have been the case otherwise. Instead, we will probably have more players Africa.

Comment

I like it. Sort of an european approach. First we acknowledge whatever minority you're part of and then we proceed to bend the rules as much as possible so that anybody can participate.

Good job. And I'm not being sarcastic. That's the way it should be done.

Comment

Working...
            X