X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Niagara Falls Open 2015 Standings

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
    Hi John,

Like some people here, I don't quite understand what's upsetting you so much. So the Niagara Falls Open doesn't cater to elite players, totally fine approach. There's certainly something to be said about having equal (or proportionate to the number of players) prize fund in each class. Why not? I don't personally agree with this, but don't fault the approach, different views, different levels of support for each idea. However you seem to be taking this as something truly personal.
    The Preotus inquired whether there was free entry for IMs (after all, many other organizers and events offer free entry to IMs, so it's a legitimate question, no harm in asking), and you are 100% entitled to say 'no'. So now, there's no incentive for the IM to register far in advance, and he can now postpone his decision on when to enter the tournament, as per the rules set by the organizer. Okay, he's an IM, therefore already favourite to be at the top of the standings. Everyone knew that when he joined.

But really, why demonize a 15 year old IM for showing up for your event? I somewhat doubt you'd make such a fuss if he hadn't won, though it's expected he'd mow down the opposition. So now he's the dirty one! Do you go on chesstalk and dash out on every participant that joins your tournament last minute, for this or previous editions of the tournament? Oh, I guess it's different if he's an IM. I guess he owes your pre-registered list prestige by joining in advance, whereas Joe Schmoe does not (!?) -- because the IM is favourite to win.

Here's a bit of an unofficial report by one of your players:

It seems to me like this terrible person who spent all weekend hijacking your tournament to win (what, $500?), might actually enjoy playing chess, too! Isn't that what you were advocating, people should come because they want to play? Is an IM forbidden from loving the game? I might even make the argument that the IM decided 'hey, no free entry, I want to play anyway, and the crowd is loving the chess scene, let me play with them!' and at least one person enjoyed having this opportunity to play against Razvan.

Now... unlike just about any other organizer out there who would probably say 'Hey, this was a great tournament, we even had an IM come and everybody had a good time' you take the 'This kid came to take our money' approach. Mind you, it does sound like it was a great tournament apart from this bitterness against the IM which again... I just don't understand. You are now (jokingly or not), talking about having a smaller or symbolic only prize for the top prize of the tournament, because you don't cater to elite players (fair enough) but being totally ridiculous by insinuating that these top top prizes should be less than other class prizes (because you don't like titled players, it appears). Or instead... you want to limit the participation rating at ... 2300? 2200? Preventing titled players from dropping in for a few bucks that they could make guaranteed would they work a minimum wage job anywhere (compared to the travel time and chess playing time they need to play in the tournament, assuming they'd win). And where will this stop, John? If you restrict enrollment from titled players, now all of a sudden National Masters become the big cheese. Maybe in 2020 we will have a big rant because some random top-500 player in Canada with a 2200 rating 'came last minute and took our money'. Maybe you should have a U1600-only tournament, that way YOU might be able to win 1st prize.

Please note that I am not criticizing your event. By all accounts it sounds like it was a great tournament. A couple of whiners complained on chesstalk (as if chesstalkers who are not active chess community members should even be taken into account) that some crosstable wasn't posted. Big deal, ignore them! Your people who keep coming back to your event are the ones who matter. I am just sickened by this attack you took on the one IM who attended your event. I have my doubts whether you'll have any in the future, but I guess that's the idea.

Alex Ferreira
    Hi Alex;
    Razvan is the First to set a mold for our future tournaments. I don't give a darn that he won. We knew he'd win we actually predicted his result.
    I did not like the way these threads have gone but why do you all think that our tournament has to be the dark horse when we have success after success for 13 or 14 years.
    Why do people come to our tournament.
    I'm sure it is not because of me as you know I'm too critical.
    Maybe it is because anyone has a shot at a prize. Maybe because the Niagara Falls Regulars like John Erickson's tournaments. Maybe Boys west of Toronto don't like to see their entry fees go to the elite.
    I don't have an answer except thanks for giving us a pat on the back for running another tournament.

Comment

Working...
    X