Looking to buy used Monroi device and used Chronos Chess Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking to buy used Monroi device and used Chronos Chess Clock

There is nothing to stop someone using a MonRoi to enter a few extra moves to produce a position which might occur in the future on the real board. From this, they could at least view (and study) a future position.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
      The problem with MonRoi is that they totally missed the boat. In this day and age, you don't develop a 300$ single use device. That's insane. Anybody who's bought one probably regret it.
      I certainly don't regret it. I probably recorded my 600th game or so on one tonight. I even thought about getting a few more and a hub to use in a class.

And the device stores only 50 games...
      That's news to me. I am pretty sure that I had about 200 on mine at one point and mine is fairly old with only a 256 MByte card. The newer ones use larger cards. The typical game takes up about 7 kbytes with signature file and time file implying 30,000 games or so as a limit.

What is that? 1988?

You'd be doing much better developping a 3$ app for the iPhone and/or Android. I'd be willing to pay for an official iphone/android app to record chess games.
      So would everyone that wants to use Fritz or Stockfish to help out in their games.
      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 16th June, 2015, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand this feeling of safety that goes with monroi. It would be incredibly easy to hack such a device so that it feeds you with moves while pretending to be a simple recording machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          There is nothing to stop someone using a MonRoi to enter a few extra moves to produce a position which might occur in the future on the real board. From this, they could at least view (and study) a future position.
          Hugh: Good point - I have never used one myself so I don't know how easy it is to 'undo' such speculative move entering... Besides, it would be rather obvious that the person was entering more than one move?

M Cloutier thinks that it is easy to hack a Monroi to run some other program(s) but I am not so sure of that... in principle perhaps, but in the real world I think it would be quite a lot of work if it is even possible [the Monroi probably runs a custom operating system that would be very hard to hack without a lot of inside knowledge - much harder than hacking an Android phone which has a known and relatively open OS]
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            Hugh: Good point - I have never used one myself so I don't know how easy it is to 'undo' such speculative move entering... Besides, it would be rather obvious that the person was entering more than one move?

M Cloutier thinks that it is easy to hack a Monroi to run some other program(s) but I am not so sure of that... in principle perhaps, but in the real world I think it would be quite a lot of work if it is even possible [the Monroi probably runs a custom operating system that would be very hard to hack without a lot of inside knowledge - much harder than hacking an Android phone which has a known and relatively open OS]
            I mean, physically hacking the device. That should be easy enough. If I remember correctly, somebody did it a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
            X