Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nigel Short sticking to his guns...

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
    So your understanding of a minority is someone who feels intimidated?? Sigh.
    Not what I wrote... Not at all. Try again.
    Last edited by Mathieu Cloutier; Wednesday, 24th June, 2015, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb Petersen View Post
      The answer is simple. Controversy attracts attention, one only has to look at the number of posts on these threads to see that.

Yes, my question was rhetorical: it's obvious that Nigel's remarks were intended to attract attention to chess itself. But if Nigel Short strategized that his remarks on women in chess would attract attention to chess, and that that would be "all good", he should go back to losing to Judit Polgar.

(In fact, I'm surprised some quick-thinking entrepreneur isn't coming forward to arrange a Short vs Polgar match, with all the publicity that the Bobby Riggs vs Billie Jean King tennis match of the sexes got in the 1970s.)

To judge whether this controversy is good for organized chess overall, you need only think about how it affects 2 groups: the women that are playing or might in the future play organized chess, and the corporations that are already investing or might in the future invest in organized chess. It should be obvious to all that the vast majority of these 2 groups are going to look at organized chess in a much less favorable light now that this controversy has come out in the open.

Well, there's actually a 3rd group to think about: the general non-chess-playing public. They too will look at organized chess in a less favorable light -- as hard as that may be to imagine.
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

The argument will be short when it's about Shortian claims.

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        ...Sometimes a "minority" is NOT the result of systemic bias, it is just the makeup of the people involved. For hundreds of years, chess has been dominated by males but that does not mean females were explicitly excluded.
        I'm glad to see you're noting chess history. Perhaps you could also note that Susan Polgar, Judit's older sister, had to take FIDE to court in order for her to be allowed to compete in the World Championship cycle. Females were explicitly excluded and Susan Polgar, at great cost to herself, had to fight the chauvinistic oafs at FIDE to win the day.

Of course she did and made chess history. Look it up. It's a very important event in global chess history. Her victory, however, was after her "window" into the W Ch cycle closed, so what she did was a benefit to all those who came after her, and not so much to herself.
        Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Wednesday, 24th June, 2015, 05:16 PM. Reason: Susan Polgar, hero of chess history.
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
          To judge whether this controversy is good for organized chess overall, you need only think about how it affects 2 groups: the women that are playing or might in the future play organized chess, and the corporations that are already investing or might in the future invest in organized chess. It should be obvious to all that the vast majority of these 2 groups are going to look at organized chess in a much less favorable light now that this controversy has come out in the open.

Well, there's actually a 3rd group to think about: the general non-chess-playing public. They too will look at organized chess in a less favorable light -- as hard as that may be to imagine.
          I would also add a 4th group, which is likely even more powerful in the long run: millions of women raising their daughters and making strategic / financial decisions about their daughters' activities (alone or in collaboration with their partners). Do I need to spell out how these hard-working mothers react to such "controversies"?!

Comment

Working...
          X