Kitchener Chess Festival 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kitchener Chess Festival 2015

Any requirement makes more work for the organiser, and the CFC is so weak that putting pressure on an organiser might lead to the guy walking away. I hear thru the grapevine that some organisers are declining to pay rating fees, and "forgetting" to submit memberships.

"Ban them!" I say. But if they walk away, then that's one more nail in the coffin. It's not like we've got a surplus of organisers.

I don't know what the solution is. Maybe the CFC has to insist organisers are more professional, rather than accepting anyone. And if that leads to less events... like I say, I dunno.

Comment

Hi John,

These collections are not simple, but in general I’d say I got 99% of them all... eventually. Trouble is that when these collections do happen, it is not viewed as a general problem and gets taken for granted so you get no credit for doing it and then... get replaced.

Since no credit is given, but I always continued to perform the collections regardless, it just created a bigger and bigger bubble. Consequently when I got replaced, then all of you got the bursting of the bubble. The CFC overall was plus 8 adult members totalling my last 5 years doing the admin. Compare that with minus 430 adult members the other most recent 7 years of my admin absence.

I also recall that I was still trying to clean up this type of old A/R in the final weeks of my admin. One afternoon I sent about 6 or 7 outstanding invoices for past promises to pay. The invoices were all attached with the subject as “Invoice from CFC”, and the body message simply said “attached”. Out of those I got one reply from a former CFC President who just started freaking out and decided tell me he was cancelling his VISA on the spot etc...

Like I said all my messages simply said “attached”, but he decided he wanted to make a game out of it, built me into a straw man and then started tearing me down.

People we are in serious trouble...

Gerry

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
        Any requirement makes more work for the organiser, and the CFC is so weak that putting pressure on an organiser might lead to the guy walking away. I hear thru the grapevine that some organisers are declining to pay rating fees, and "forgetting" to submit memberships.

"Ban them!" I say. But if they walk away, then that's one more nail in the coffin. It's not like we've got a surplus of organisers.

I don't know what the solution is. Maybe the CFC has to insist organisers are more professional, rather than accepting anyone. And if that leads to less events... like I say, I dunno.
        I see your point, organizers have a lot of work to do, but why not post their event and get more advertisement? My guess is that it takes like 15 minutes at the most once you have your information figured out, and as an organizer if you feel that's too much, simply get someone else organizer it who's doing less to do it and your problem is solved. It's really a pain not having a place where you can see all the upcoming tournaments, even if they only required the dates and location of the tournament it would be very helpful. Some tournaments have websites, but not all. To require making a website for your tournament and updating standings all the time would be ridiculous. I realize you said any requirement makes more work for the organizer, but really it's not that hard to put in the dates and location of your tournament. Then again I've never organized a tournament, so I am not really qualified to say if it's a pain or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb Petersen View Post
          Then again I've never organized a tournament, so I am not really qualified to say if it's a pain or not.
          I'm retired from organising, and 99% of my events were for locals only, so I have a narrow point of view. For local events, I used to email the locals, and that's all the advertising I needed.

I used the CFC event-submission form once, found it to be very inflexible. I think I am correct in saying that all the form does is send the info to the office, so it then has to reformatted for the website. Quite a pain for all concerned, I should think.

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb Petersen View Post
            o require making a website for your tournament and updating standings all the time would be ridiculous.
            The CFC offers for free a SwissManager pairing software to chess organizers, what offers for free results publishing on their own website chess-resultscom . Many many tournaments worldwide use this software and this feature. Only several clicks (+ internet connection) and everyone can enjoy results/standings/pairings/stats.

Latest CAN tournaments are always at http://chess-results.com/fed.aspx?lan=1&fed=CAN
            http://chess-results.com shows that ~50 tournaments updated during the last hour .

Comment

I used the CFC event-submission form once, found it to be very inflexible. I think I am correct in saying that all the form does is send the info to the office, so it then has to reformatted for the website. Quite a pain for all concerned, I should think.
              Sounds like you used a paper-version.

Two pairing programs are offered by CFC - SwissManager and SwissSys - both have an option to convert results to a CFC acceptable format.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                Sounds like you used a paper-version.
                We were talking about ADVERTIZING events, not reporting results.

Comment

We were talking about ADVERTIZING events, not reporting results.
                  I see. Sorry :)
                  http://chess.ca/register-tournament
                  Yes, it could be improved like reducing a number of mandatory items or paste-copy a text from chesstalks LOL
                  Bad thing that it is hidden in "Clubs", it must have own category - Tournaments or Events.

Comment

3 more days until the main events!

Comment

The results of the first round have been posted.

Comment

Andrew Peredun won the O2000, Corin Schneider the O1600, Max England the O1200 and of course Joshua Terry won the Rookie section, but that was already determined last round.

Comment

The final results are now in.

Comment

Congratulations to Joshua (winner of the rookie section) who won it with a perfect 7-0! Joshua, a former student of mine, who had a mini successful career with CMA and had at one time a 1700 rating played in his first "adult" tournament since his starting year and remained seated at the board all the times I saw him in action. Joshua has challenges and literally couldnt sit down in tournament games for his first few years. So this result is a major break thru for him although he still tends to play his all his games with less than 5 minutes used on the clock. I hope to see him win the next higher section next year!

Comment

Working...
                            X