Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Bellomo - RIP

A sad letter arrived today:

"It is with great sadness that I inform you that Joe Bellomo passed away last night after a long battle with cancer. Joe has attended the Aurora Chess Club tournaments for sometime and many of you will know him for his reserved demeanour and sharp chess.

I always felt Joe was one of the good guys - always a pleasure to talk to and with an infectious love of chess. Suffice to say, and as many of us know, when you met Joe over the board his tactical ability and passion for winning would always bring an interesting and difficult game.

If you'd like to attend the visitation, it will be held between 2pm and 8pm on Wednesday July 8th at Elgin Mills Cemetery, at 1591 Elgin Mills Rd. East.

Best regards, Graeme M Knight."

Joe was very active at the Scarborough CC too, and played in many Open tournaments in the GTA and beyond. The CFC ID card at http://chess.ca/players?check_rating_number=109793 shows his incredible passion for a chess game.

RIP

Re: Joe Bellomo - RIP

Joe was a good friend. We often travelled together to chess tournaments such as Guelph & Hamilton, (not to mention John Brown's apartment in Brampton). I enjoyed talking to Joe on those trips as we both had read a lot about the history of chess and the great players like Lasker, Capablanca, & Alekhine. Joe loved chess but chess was not his life. He kept his wins and losses over the board in good perspective. He had a long career as a math instructor at George Brown College. Joe was also was a die-hard Toronto Maple Leaf fan. We would often listen to the Leaf game on the car radio on the way back from a chess tournament. He also liked the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, (CBC). We often had debates about the role of Canada's public broadcaster and the amount of government financial support it required. Joe felt strongly that the CBC played an important and positive role. So I can imagine that Joe was always happy to watch his Leafs on CBC. He will certainly be missed.

Comment

I had a very nice lunch break with Joe during the Labour Day Open at the Macedonian church two years ago. We re-connected 13 years after I left Toronto to move to Victoria. He mentioned that he was battling cancer but he was not the least bit afraid or apprehensive. A brave and fine fellow.
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

At the end of March Joe said the round of chemo was tiring and that he will not play in the SCC Championship. Joe Bellomo was a pleasure to have as an opponent. We met across the board in many occasions at SCC (Scarborough Chess Club). A true sportsman: new how to win and lose.
        Ohh yes that sense of humour...they flash through my mind now the many times I saw Pino (Verde) and Joe at their warm-up blitz games at SCC surrounded by a crowd that could play their own warm-up game but got mesmerized by the friendly bickering of these two .

He always gave a good game and if his hand was massaging his nose ..you knew complications were afoot.
        Joe, you will be missed.

Mario Moran-Venegas

Comment

Joe was always the first smiling face I'd see at any chess tournament we both attended.
          Joe and I had some tactical battles in our day.
          He was always a friendly man and well respected in the chess community as I'm sure he was with his fellow teachers and students.

You will be surely missed.
          My condolences to his friends and family.
          John R. Brown

Comment

Joe was always the first smiling face I'd see at any chess tournament we both attended.
            Joe and I had some tactical battles in our day.
            He was always a friendly man and well respected in the chess community as I'm sure he was with his fellow teachers and students.

You will be surely missed.
            My condolences to his friends and family.
            John R. Brown

Comment

Working...
            X