Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Public in the Dark

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    Actually I haven't done any updates on the handbook since last year's CYCC controversy when I posted Patrick's clarification of the rules for playing up which we are following.
    Bob's original questions are legitimate. I honestly can't tell whether Peter has his tongue firmly in cheek or not, but that's usually the indication of very good sarcasm.

The handbook is a joke. I'm not blaming you (or anybody else) for it, but it is a ramshackle mishmash of lots of things and it is completely unclear who the target audience is supposed to be. It's a wonderful snore.

I strongly suggest:

a. The handbook be updated. I know that's wishful thinking given the amount of work involved and the available resources.

b. Official guidelines for the CYCC, Canadian Open, etc. be published *in plain English*, for organizers to follow, and that direct links to these documents be on the CFC main page. This can be achieved fairly quickly.

c. The CFC examine the implications of the *last-minute* "playing up" at last year's CYCC and draft new guidelines to cover this in the future.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec replying to a post from E.Z. on May 18, 2016 View Post
      No one has asked to play up. It is possible someone has registered in older sections without asking. This playing up is not something that is common. Last year only two or three asked to play up and one was allowed to play up that I am aware of. Allowing a last minute change the day before the tournament (actually day of since it was about 3 am if I recall correctly) was not against the rules because there were no rules beyond the rule that playing up was allowed. The rule will not appear on the tournament website.
      Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec May 18, 2016 View Post
      Actually I haven't done any updates on the handbook since last year's CYCC controversy when I posted Patrick's clarification of the rules for playing up which we are following.
      First to Steve Douglas:

Now to Vlad: I think some people, hopefully most reasonable people, would agree that approving someone for playing up a section at 3 a.m. on the day that play is scheduled to begin when there are players/parents who are not aware of the rules governing playing up because those rules weren't readily available for them, isn't really a desirable situation. I'm sure you're busy - in fact, my impression of you is that there may never have been a harder working CFC President. And when I look through the names of CFC executives/directors and voting members I see lots of names of people who I know are hard working (Hal Bond, to name just one). Still, no matter how tedious they are, there are some jobs that just need to get done. Therefore, in all seriousness, I volunteer to do a clean up/updating of the CYCC section of the Handbook with my work to be submitted to you and the other directors/voting members for discussion/revision/approval/rejection/etc., in time for the first quarterly meeting of the 2016/2017 governance period. If you/the CFC decide to accept my offer to do this work, then I further propose that all other terms of my engagement be negotiated with you in private (unlike some officers of the CFC, I don't like to work in a fish bowl :) ). Let me know. I'll send you a private ChessTalk message with my email address. Oh, one other thing: I am not currently a member of the CFC. Several years ago I decided that I would only join when playing in a tournament and tournament entries by me have been infrequent. However, I will re-join and remain a member while this project is underway.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
        First to Steve Douglas:

Now to Vlad: I think some people, hopefully most reasonable people, would agree that approving someone for playing up a section at 3 a.m. on the day that play is scheduled to begin when there are players/parents who are not aware of the rules governing playing up because those rules weren't readily available for them, isn't really a desirable situation. I'm sure you're busy - in fact, my impression of you is that there may never have been a harder working CFC President. And when I look through the names of CFC executives/directors and voting members I see lots of names of people who I know are hard working (Hal Bond, to name just one). Still, no matter how tedious they are, there are some jobs that just need to get done. Therefore, in all seriousness, I volunteer to do a clean up/updating of the CYCC section of the Handbook with my work to be submitted to you and the other directors/voting members for discussion/revision/approval/rejection/etc., in time for the first quarterly meeting of the 2016/2017 governance period. If you/the CFC decide to accept my offer to do this work, then I further propose that all other terms of my engagement be negotiated with you in private (unlike some officers of the CFC, I don't like to work in a fish bowl :) ). Let me know. I'll send you a private ChessTalk message with my email address. Oh, one other thing: I am not currently a member of the CFC. Several years ago I decided that I would only join when playing in a tournament and tournament entries by me have been infrequent. However, I will re-join and remain a member while this project is underway.
        We accept your generous offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          We accept your generous offer.
          Amen Vlad! And thank you Peter for your kind offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
            The CFC examine the implications of the *last-minute* "playing up" at last year's CYCC
            The financial implications: one player was "robbed" of $3092 (FIDE fee, WYCC registration fee, accommodation and CFC travel allowance).

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
              The financial implications: one player was "robbed" of $3092 (FIDE fee, WYCC registration fee, accommodation and CFC travel allowance).
              Rene: There was no participant in U18 girls section at CYCC 2015 however there was one U18 girls representative. Would this not mean she got free accommodation, plus no FIDE fee, and WYCC registration fee.

Cannot rule out CFC travel allowance either!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Keerti Nyayachavadi View Post
                Rene: There was no participant in U18 girls section at CYCC 2015 however there was one U18 girls representative. Would this not mean she got free accommodation, plus no FIDE fee, and WYCC registration fee.

Cannot rule out CFC travel allowance either!!!
                You're wrong again. She paid $300 toward the Youth Fund, EUR60 FIDE fee, EUR100 WYCC registration fee and her flights.
                The organizers paid for the accommodation because she was the official player. No other U18 girls asked to play to WYCC so it was a easy decision for the CFC executives to allow her to play. It didn't cost CFC a penny.

Comment

Originally posted by Keerti Nyayachavadi View Post
                  . Would this not mean she got free accommodation, plus no FIDE fee, and WYCC registration fee.
                  It was a question not an assertion

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                  You're wrong again. She paid $300 toward the Youth Fund, EUR60 FIDE fee, EUR100 WYCC registration fee and her flights.
                  The organizers paid for the accommodation because she was the official player. No other U18 girls asked to play to WYCC so it was a easy decision for the CFC executives to allow her to play. It didn't cost CFC a penny.
                  There was no assertion but a question. I might have been mistaken or it could have changed official players required to pay FIDE and WYCC registration fee - by their federation or from them.

Comment

Official players have always been required to pay the FIDE and organizers fees. We have been paying it for them for the last three years.

Comment

Working...
                    X