Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official protest to the CYCC organizers

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    Something that jumps to one's attention on a first reading of your blue text is that the Directors are not **OBLIGED** to accept a proposal from a member if one of the given scenarios applies.
    What is the likelihood that Sasha will submit a member proposal on time for this year's AGM. Zero. He has trouble even finding his emails and needs for me to explain how to search his inbox.

It doesn't say they CAN'T accept the proposal; rather, it seems to be a matter of choice. And if the Directors are perceived as being unreasonable *ssholes (Heaven forbid that should ever happen!!), the NFP Act contains a provision for the removal of the Directors by the voting members.

p.s. Sorry. Now I'm forgetting to include section numbers: going from memory - section 170 (5)
    You have to follow procedure to remove a director and its not likely to be successful at this point in time since there is a new election coming up in August.

Comment

Alright!! Now we're making headway. Thank you for (finally ) clarifying that the five-year rule to which you have referred more than twice (i.e. not just the first two quotes above) does not come directly from the NFP Act at all.
      I am rather busy at the moment with about fifty emails between 10 pm and 11 pm on the tournament email account with quite a few on my personal account and also I was out of town this weekend promoting the tournaments in Kitchener at OYCC. I started to answer at about 1:30 am on Friday evening but decided to try to get four hours of sleep ahead of the trip to Kitchener which required a 5:30 wakeup in order to shower, grab breakfast and brew some coffee ahead of the 6:00 am pickup by Rohan's dad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
        And some of us do not see this as playing up. Theoretically, a 10 year old can play in any age group s/he chooses.
        Except for under 08.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          I am rather busy at the moment with about fifty emails between 10 pm and 11 pm on the tournament email account with quite a few on my personal account and also I was out of town this weekend promoting the tournaments in Kitchener at OYCC. I started to answer at about 1:30 am on Friday evening but decided to try to get four hours of sleep ahead of the trip to Kitchener which required a 5:30 wakeup in order to shower, grab breakfast and brew some coffee ahead of the 6:00 am pickup by Rohan's dad.
          My godfathers! Once again, my suggestion....you don't need to re-act to the trolls!
          Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
            My godfathers! Once again, my suggestion....you don't need to re-act to the trolls!
            I've known that particular "troll" for about forty two years. Much nicer in person than on chesstalk. I did heed your advice and I will probably heed it more and more over the next three months or so.

Comment

After so much debate, do we get any solution ? It's still very blurry ( to me ). I assume that it will stay the same and for example, a 6 or 7 year old kid ( grade 1 ) is eligible to play in U-18 section as he/she is still under 18 years of age. Correct me if I am wrong.

It's all up to the organizer to approve the application as there is nothing to stop it. Precedent has been set last year so I hope this year's organizer ( Windsor again ) will not change the rules again. It is only right to be consistent UNLESS the RULES are communicated WELL in ADVANCE to players/parents that no playing up is allowed this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
                After so much debate, do we get any solution ? It's still very blurry ( to me ). I assume that it will stay the same and for example, a 6 or 7 year old kid ( grade 1 ) is eligible to play in U-18 section as he/she is still under 18 years of age. Correct me if I am wrong.

It's all up to the organizer to approve the application as there is nothing to stop it. Precedent has been set last year so I hope this year's organizer ( Windsor again ) will not change the rules again. It is only right to be consistent UNLESS the RULES are communicated WELL in ADVANCE to players/parents that no playing up is allowed this year.
                Players can play up if they register at least one month in advance of the tournament and appear on the pre-registered list in their new section. If they play up and win the bursary for WYCC or the World Cadet Chess Championship they will have to play in the same age group where they won the bursary at CYCC. No one has applied to play up an age group that I am aware of.

You cannot play up if there are no other players in the age and gender group that you are applying to play in.

Comment

Players can play up if they register at least one month in advance of the tournament and appear on the pre-registered list in their new section. If they play up and win the bursary for WYCC or the World Cadet Chess Championship they will have to play in the same age group where they won the bursary at CYCC. No one has applied to play up an age group that I am aware of.

You cannot play up if there are no other players in the age and gender group that you are applying to play in.
                  Thanks Vlad for the clarification. I think this is clear enough. Clarification by our CFC President and also the organizer of this year CYCC.

Should anyone try to break this rule and their name is not on the " play up " section at least one month in advance and somehow they are allowed to play up, then it is in total violation of the above statement. Please understand that Vlad is trying to make things clear for this year after what had happened last year which was very unfortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
                    Should anyone try to break this rule
                    Are rules now announced at chesstalks on a n-page of an unrelated thread? LOL Make sure that they are at the tournament website at least too :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      Are rules now announced at chesstalks on a n-page of an unrelated thread? LOL Make sure that they are at the tournament website at least too :)
                      No one has asked to play up. It is possible someone has registered in older sections without asking. This playing up is not something that is common. Last year only two or three asked to play up and one was allowed to play up that I am aware of. Allowing a last minute change the day before the tournament (actually day of since it was about 3 am if I recall correctly) was not against the rules because there were no rules beyond the rule that playing up was allowed. The rule will not appear on the tournament website.

Comment

No one has asked to play up. It is possible someone has registered in older sections without asking. This playing up is not something that is common. Last year only two or three asked to play up and one was allowed to play up that I am aware of. Allowing a last minute change the day before the tournament (actually day of since it was about 3 am if I recall correctly) was not against the rules because there were no rules beyond the rule that playing up was allowed. The rule will not appear on the tournament website.
                        So why you mentioned "one month"? ("Players can play up if they register at least one month in advance of the tournament")
                        I don't see any registration deadline on the CYCC website too (only timing for late fees )

Comment

• Public in the Dark

The rule will not appear on the tournament website.
                          Hi Vlad:

Questions
                          (I hope clear)

1. What is the CFC organizer thinking on this.....that information must be kept from the registering players so that they do not decide to abuse it somehow?

2. If so, does CFC agree with the rule not being on the organizer's website?

3. Does the CFC agree with the organizer reasoning behind not posting publicly a CYCC rule, and that therefore their practice of not posting the rule is correct?

Curious.

Bob A
                          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 18th May, 2016, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• Re: NFP act versus NFP website.

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                            Not from a lawyer: the NFP act comes with Regulations. http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regula...223/index.html

Look in the ACT ( http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-7.75/FullText.html ) 163(6)e

and Regulations:

You can see that FIVE years is not an absolute criteria, the previous proposal must have been totally worthless at the time of discussion.

Why those numbers are in separate documents >> that for lawyers :) Maybe it's written somewhere in those documents (act and regulations).
                            Thank you, E.Z., for posting this. Hopefully Vlad and other directors/voting members are now aware that rejection of a voting member's proposal is NOT mandatory. The Act/Regulations/Guide simply confirm the acceptable grounds for rejecting a voting member's proposal by directors exercising their discretion reasonably.
                            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• Re: Public in the Dark

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                              Hi Vlad:

Questions
                              (I hope clear)

1. What is the CFC organizer thinking on this.....that information must be kept from the registering players so that they do not decide to abuse it somehow?

2. If so, does CFC agree with the rule not being on the organizer's website?

3. Does the CFC agree with the organizer reasoning behind not posting publicly a CYCC rule, and that therefore their practice of not posting the rule is correct?

Curious.

Bob A
                              Hi Bob. This is a long thread so you may have overlooked that Vlad effectively answered your questions in a post on May 11th. Here's a link to that post:

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec May 11, 2016 View Post
                              The complete set of rules is available on Chess.ca under the handbook in the section on CYCC. ...
                              So, players/parents who are interested in perusing the rules on playing up, the time limits for registering for playing up, etc., etc., can find everything they need in the CFC handbook. By the way, don't forget to give Vlad a pat on the back for updating the CFC handbook in just 24 hours. Vlad takes a lot of heat here at ChessTalk so a job well done deserves some recognition!! :)
                              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• Re: Public in the Dark

Hi Bob. This is a long thread so you may have overlooked that Vlad effectively answered your questions in a post on May 11th. Here's a link to that post:

So, players/parents who are interested in perusing the rules on playing up, the time limits for registering for playing up, etc., etc., can find everything they need in the CFC handbook. By the way, don't forget to give Vlad a pat on the back for updating the CFC handbook in just 24 hours. Vlad takes a lot of heat here at ChessTalk so a job well done deserves some recognition!! :)
                                Actually I haven't done any updates on the handbook since last year's CYCC controversy when I posted Patrick's clarification of the rules for playing up which we are following.

Comment

Working...
                                X