In the upcoming federal election how would you be likely to vote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cons not winning any votes by prohibiting 200 teachers from attending int conf

The FQE is reporting that 200 teachers were denied Visas to come to an international conference in Quebec. That's not going to win the Federal Conservatives any votes among enlightened teachers.

But maybe they weren't counting on any.

(in French) Congrès international sur l'éducation à Ottawa: 200 professeurs se sont vu refuser leur visa
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: Now, if only some others felt the same way...

Nigel wrote:

The FQE is reporting.....
      It's the "La Presse" newspaper that's reporting this - not the FQE - although several African players that were pre-registered for the Quebec Open (Francophone) did not appear. They may have had visas refused for similar reasons.

Comment

Re: Cons not winning any votes by prohibiting 200 teachers from attending int conf

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
        The FQE is reporting that 200 teachers were denied Visas to come to an international conference in Quebec. That's not going to win the Federal Conservatives any votes among enlightened teachers.

(in French) Congrès international sur l'éducation à Ottawa: 200 professeurs se sont vu refuser leur visa
        Why were they refused and where were they from? When did they apply?

Comment

Re: Cons not winning any votes by prohibiting 200 teachers from attending int conf

...enlightened teachers.
          Say what?
          145 of the alleged 200 were "enlightened teachers" from Nigeria.
          I am sending you a bank account # where you can deposit five thousand bucks. Shortly after that you will be a millionaire.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil Smilovici View Post
            Say what?
            145 of the alleged 200 were "enlightened teachers" from Nigeria.
            I am sending you a bank account # where you can deposit five thousand bucks. Shortly after that you will be a millionaire.
            That is funny!

Good for Harper, we have enough illegals roaming around now.

Comment

Yikes! The FQE reported on this on Facebook and the link was to La Presse. Unfortunately, there is [in general] no linking from Facebook to ChessTalk since this discussion board has been reported as abusive. And I'm not surprised, really, what with so much thinly-veiled racist views.

"Illegals" and Nigeria email scams? That's really quite repulsive guys. Teachers are under attack across the globe by neo-liberal, austerity and violence loving regimes. Looks like the Harper cabal shares these ugly views. That's a failing grade from this perspective. They don't seem to play well with others.

supplemental: the teachers from Oaxaca, in Mexico, faced with increasing and brutal repression, have called for solidarity with the struggles there. For those who have lived under a Rook lately, Mexico has been the scene of brutal mass murder of student teachers, among other shocking unpunished crimes. See Oaxaca Teachers ask for help in Ottawa OK, so maybe now we know why the teachers were denied visas. None of this uppity solidarity by the pawns, er, peons, eh?
              Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Wednesday, 22nd July, 2015, 10:07 PM. Reason: example of brutal austerity in Oaxaca

Comment

Yikes! The FQE reported on this on Facebook and the link was to La Presse. Unfortunately, there is [in general] no linking from Facebook to ChessTalk since this discussion board has been reported as abusive. And I'm not surprised, really, what with so much thinly-veiled racist views.

"Illegals" and Nigeria email scams? That's really quite repulsive guys. Teachers are under attack across the globe by neo-liberal, austerity and violence loving regimes. Looks like the Harper cabal shares these ugly views. That's a failing grade from this perspective. They don't seem to play well with others.

supplemental: the teachers from Oaxaca, in Mexico, faced with increasing and brutal repression, have called for solidarity with the struggles there. For those who have lived under a Rook lately, Mexico has been the scene of brutal mass murder of student teachers, among other shocking unpunished crimes. See Oaxaca Teachers ask for help in Ottawa OK, so maybe now we know why the teachers were denied visas. None of this uppity solidarity by the pawns, er, peons, eh?
                Your VERY FAR LEFT ideology is showing, Nigel!

If you don't like someone's opinion, he/she must be a racist.

If Canada wants to actually have borders, then we must be racists.

But, you have amused me once again, trotting out the far left words like "cabal" in an attempt to explain why someone could possibly be doing what they believe is correct.

This is one of those discussions where we could point and counter-point forever, so, as Bill O'Reilly says, "You can have the last word!"

Comment

non sequiturs means epic fail

What a pile of steaming non sequiturs, J. Ken. I guess you failed debating, huh?

Comment

Its not exactly front page news that chesstalk is abusive.

Copying and pasting the title of the conference into google yields nothing relevant until the second page of results and those seem to be from far left wing organizations. The fact is that it was not the government that denied entry to the conference goers but the fine union employees at the Canada border protection agency.

How many people are at this conference? I don't see that anywhere. The fact that 145 potential conference goers come from a country which is quite poor and does have a terrorist problem (the 300 girls are still missing) does not inspire confidence. The article claims that the organization was willing to pay for their flights and accommodations but what is their source of funding? There are things that don't add up here. I don't think the Conservatives have to worry about losing many votes over this situation.

Comment

Vlad wrote:

How many people are at this conference? I don't see that anywhere.
                      They were expecting about 1500 delegates. I have no idea now many actually showed up.

http://www.ctf-fce.ca/en/news/Pages/...1855&year=2015

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                        Vlad wrote:

They were expecting about 1500 delegates. I have no idea now many actually showed up.

http://www.ctf-fce.ca/en/news/Pages/...1855&year=2015
                        It seems a bit odd that 10% of the delegates would come from one country (Nigeria) not known for being at the forefront of education though I am sure they could certainly provide some insight on the difficulties in providing an education to young women especially in the northern part of the country where they are subject to being kidnapped and sold off as slaves and child brides. This story is still fishy.

Comment

ChessTalk reported as abusive

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                          Its not exactly front page news that chesstalk is abusive.
                          OK, fair enough. I just didn't know that links from Facebook to ChessTalk were banned because of it. You (and I) certainly know about the torrent of abuse used by those who supported Kasparov in his failed bid for the FIDE Presidency. Actually, it was more like an organized campaign.

I don't think the Conservatives have to worry about losing many votes over this situation.
                          Yeah, I thought that neither teachers nor what I have called enlightened people will be voting for them. I think I noted that.

From the point of view of those who want to see a crushing and brutal defeat for Harper, much like the electoral thrashing that the Alberta Conservatives recently got, it's useful to draw attention to the kind of xenophobic policy of the regime. The xenephobia will get those sorts of votes, but there are plenty of people of colour, and others of course, who see the white supremacy in the dog whistle racism of the government and know that one group or another can be the target: today, native people, tomorrow immigrants of colour, the next day religious minorities, the day after that political minorities, and so on.

Pigs recently flew in Alberta. It will be highly entertaining to listen to the angry silence should all of this come to fruition.

Here's a question: will Stephen Harper spitefully resign his seat in Parliament should Tom Mulcair and the NDP administer a well-deserved thumping to the Conservative "team"? I mean, once he's not governing, the keen interest in saving taxpayer money will disappear with the wind. That should be good for a laugh.

Comment

Judging by the amount of emails from Nigerians that I receive pretty much every time I try to organize a chess tournament with requests for Visa applications; I am not at all surprised that most of the applications would be denied as fraudulent.

Comment

UN CONDEMNS Canadian Human Rights record under the Conservatives

In any case, whether it was anti-African venom, or fears of Nigerian e mail spam, or dog whistle racism, the Conservative government has been condemned by human rights organizations for the treatment of Canadian citizens.

Explain that one away. lol.

Originally posted by Amnesty International
                              Today, the United Nations Human Rights Committee released their Report condemning Canada's human rights record at home.

The Committee's recommendations go to the heart of Canada’s failure to uphold the country’s international human rights obligations. These include the rights of Indigenous peoples, women’s rights, national security and counter-terrorism laws, refugee and migrant rights, and the rights to freedom of expression and peaceful assembly.
                              Amnesty International: uh, no, it's not Nigerian spam e mail when the government routinely violates the human rights of Canadians.

Comment

Re: UN CONDEMNS Canadian Human Rights record under the Conservatives

In voting early in the present chesstalk poll, I supposed it unlikely an independent or fringe party I could vote for would be on my ballot. Now the leader of a fringe party I could think of voting for has put his name forward in my riding, so I'll now have to think about whether to vote for either the lesser evil among the major parties on my ballot (i.e. be realistic and thus arguably responsible) or be more idealistic now that I have the chance. WWJD? He may not have thought much about politics, but in a way he got involved in the end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ...arty_of_Canada
                                Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                                Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Working...
                                X