CFC Ratings Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Ratings Update

Lots of difficulties with the rating update this week.

The memberships and crosstables have been updated, but...

I am having some technical problems with the 2015 Francophonie Rapide Open.
    I got the Rapide U1600 in with some urging, but not the Open. Will keep trying.

Also, the TD list and CFC Members database for Swiss Sys are not updated yet.
    Will do so when update from FQE site is available. Their site is down temporarily.

Re: CFC Ratings Update

Dear Bob, Take all the time you want, the longer the better.

Comment

Preferably never right Hans? Not that I'm too happy either-3 points away from 2000 isn't exactly what I wanted. I wanted to play in an open, but I'm still stuck in U2000 tournaments. Ah well, next tournament.

Comment

Thanks to Bob for taking the time to adjust the CFC ratings of the foreign players in the North American Junior to match their FIDE/USCF ratings before rating the event.
        Paul Leblanc
        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
          Thanks to Bob for taking the time to adjust the CFC ratings of the foreign players in the North American Junior to match their FIDE/USCF ratings before rating the event.
          Thank you Paul.
          The TD list and Swiss Sys members database have been updated, even though the FQE update was unavailable.
          Our best wishes go out to our good friends at the FQE with their website problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
            I think, it's a wrong idea just to take FIDE ratings for foreign players. CFC has to recognize the gap between CFC-rating and FIDE-rating. In my opinion, the gap is about 150 points.

Right, we don't have rating inflation now. The gap was created 7 years ago because of "not smart" artificial inflation. USCF automatically adds 100 points to any foreign FIDE rating, although their gap is significantly less, likely about 70-80 points. Why CFC couldn't do the same?

Many top Canadian juniors lost a lot of CFC-rating points last week. Indeed, many of them had tough tournament. However, another reason is that they got "CFC-underrated" players from USA. 150 rating points usually means difference of about 0.2 points (of expected performance) for each game. Many juniors played 5-6 games against USA opponents. 0.2 * 5 * 16 = 16. That means many juniors (who played NA Junior in Kitchener) lost additional 16 points because of this "simplified" approach.

Comment

There is definitely some truth to what Victor says. However, the average FIDE/CFC difference varies by rating levels and may not be stable enough to use for a mathematically rigorous formula. The USCF/CFC gap presents a bigger challenge because surprisingly many CFC members have outdated USCF ratings or no USCF rating at all, making it hard to do a comparison.

I took the first step 2 years ago to clarify the rules so that outdated CFC ratings would not be used for foreign players. That took care of the greater problem.
              I also approached the masters' representative a couple of times to propose aligning the CFC ratings of players over 2200 with their FIDE ratings. There was no interest, probably because most players would have lost CFC rating points and it would have re-ordered the standings of the top players on the CFC rating list.
              Of course, what Victor is proposing is different: align the foreign players with their CFC equivalent.

I have been thinking about this problem since Victor brought it to my attention in 2012 without coming up with a reliable solution.

I have a sense that CFC and FIDE ratings will eventually move closer together because there seems to be an increase in Canadian events that are rated under both systems.

I don't view this as a threat to the integrity of our rating system but I'm sure it can be annoying to be on the receiving end of those little 16 point penalties.
              Paul Leblanc
              Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Working...
              X