Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FIDE & The Women's Parallel Chess System

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

I couldn't find the article in any of the 1982 or 1983 issues (at least it wasn't listed in the Table of Contents at the front of each issue). If you can get a more accurate date, I could probably scan (or photograph) the article.
    Hi Hugh:

That is the info Sascha Starr gave me in his first response.....maybe he was just going from memory and got some facts wrong?

Hopefully he may be following this thread from time to time, and can check with Nava on the details. I would love to look at the article, as I'm sure a number of Canadian players would. Nava still does play here in Toronto, from time to time.

Or does anyone else have it, or a source for it?

Bob

Comment

I'm pretty sure Denis Allan has a copy of the magazine containing this article, does anybody has a way to contact him?

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
        I'm pretty sure Denis Allan has a copy of the magazine containing this article, does anybody has a way to contact him?
        Yes Sasha, I do have it somewhere, not sure where, but could probably find it. I seldom look at Chesstalk but apparently picked a good time. Nava's article was based largely on a study from John Hopkins (university or hospital?) which reached a number of conclusions about gender differences from studying x thousands of kids over several years. One I recall is that males occupy a wider range on the intellectual spectrum - more male geniuses and more male retards. Those conclusions were ahead of their time, before actual differences in brain structure were found. Now just searching "gender brain differences" will produce a wealth of material. The major difference is that the female brain uses both sides for verbal ability, the mail brain only the left side. It had been known for decades that females recovered more quickly from loss of verbal ability caused by certain brain injuries and now the reason is known. A Hamilton neurologist, I believe named Sandra Wittleson, so renowned as to have a piece of Einstein's brain, years ago wrote on this subject, base on the examination of the brains of deceased persons. The most significant finding is that gay males have a female brain. That reminded me of Reuben Fine's book, I think called The Psychology of Chess. Fine was a Freudian psychologist, a think now an endangered, if not extinct species. My recollection is that he stated that there were no gay GMs (though not using the word gay), and explained that in Freudian terms, as he also explained the lack of strong women players. Although his explanation is almost certainly wrong, his observation of the lack of gay GMs was probably correct.
        Hormones also appear to be a factor. One study showed that male rats run mazes better than female rats, until the females are injected with male hormones, and then perform equally. I did have a few books on these issues, probably still do.

I think Nava's article appeared in one of the 1983 issues of En Passant.

Nava's article was intended to explain the reasons for, and value of, separate competition. Some male players resented funding going to send women to international events, in particular the Chess Olympics. It was her article which started my interest in the matter, and I have no doubt she was correct. My own experience with working with junior players about twenty years ago, in particular Stefanie Chu and the Benggawans, and watching many others, including Hazel Smith, was that they played almost equally to the boys until about age 13 or 14, then started to fall behind.

There is much more that could be written, but those who simply do not want to believe in gender brain differences will not believe.

Comment

Denis, thank you very much for your very informative post. With all the scientific data available one has to have some common sence: almost complete absence of women in the top 100 players...
          Could I ask you to send me a copy of Nava's article to alexander.starr@chesssupersitecorp.com ? Would really appreciate it! Or you can contact me at 647-964-4556.
          Last edited by Sasha Starr; Sunday, 10th April, 2016, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Nava's original article was published in CCE #58 (Jan-Feb, 1983). It's a short article, so if anyone is interested, I could easily retype it and post it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
              Nava's original article was published in CCE #58 (Jan-Feb, 1983). It's a short article, so if anyone is interested, I could easily retype it and post it.
              Hi Hugh:

I wouldn't mind getting it.....it is an early Canadian submission on this perennial topic of "women & chess"....IF it is not too much work. Or you could just send me a photocopy of it. E-mail me if this is a better option and I'll give you the address. Thanks.

Bob

Comment

The Nava's writing Reference: WIM Shterenberg, Nava(1983 1-2 #58)Nava Chess Canada Echecs Bulletin ISSN 0225.7351 pp 45-46.
                You can download the pdf file.
                Last edited by William Yuan; Sunday, 10th April, 2016, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks William for all the time and effort you took to scan and post, and thanks Nava! Your words ring as true today as they did 30+ years ago. Plus ça change... :)

Comment

Interesting that this thread is (currently) composed of men's opinion(s) of this topic - as of this moment, no women have commented here on this issue.
                    I wonder if it is known how the women actually feel about this issue? Perhaps their perspective might be different depending on age (teenager versus young woman) or skill level? Obviously Judit Polgar and Hou Yifan are strong enough to compete in Open tournaments but that doesn't seem to be the case for more than a handful of women.
                    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

With the prominent exception of Nava Starr's "blast from the past" which rings as true today.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        Interesting that this thread is (currently) composed of men's opinion(s) of this topic - as of this moment, no women have commented here on this issue.
                        I wonder if it is known how the women actually feel about this issue? Perhaps their perspective might be different depending on age (teenager versus young woman) or skill level? Obviously Judit Polgar and Hou Yifan are strong enough to compete in Open tournaments but that doesn't seem to be the case for more than a handful of women.
                        I've been told the Ct "culture" drives women chess players off..........almost never does any women player ever make a comment here (At most a few in the last 10 years?).

This is why it is only males discussing an issue critical to the future of women's chess. Would be nice if the CFC Women's Coordinator (Not sure who that is now), might carry this information/debate to where women chess players could discuss it?

Bob A

Comment

just like the Saudis do it

That's pretty well true of virtually every thread on Chess Talk on Women's chess. I suppose I should add that requiring ChessTalkers to post under their own name has improved things somewhat, as has a period of moderation (for which I will claim some credit), but, by and large, few women post here and fewer even bother to engage threads like this one.

Kinda reminds me of a Saudi Women's Conference.
                          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

The irony is that some of the posters here were at a one point or another in a strong position to impact on female chess players in a meaningful, positive fashion and were either incapable of doing so or unwilling to do so. Leadership and vision in this area has often been lacking.
                            Last edited by Duncan Smith; Thursday, 14th April, 2016, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                              I've been told the Ct "culture" drives women chess players off..........almost never does any women player ever make a comment here (At most a few in the last 10 years?).

This is why it is only males discussing an issue critical to the future of women's chess. Would be nice if the CFC Women's Coordinator (Not sure who that is now), might carry this information/debate to where women chess players could discuss it?

Bob A
                              Bob, with all due respect, what is this obsession you have with women's chess? Leave it alone. Rationalize your behaviour any way you want but it remains, as R.P. said, a little bit weird.
                              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post

Bob A
                                Juri is a face to face or phone person and not an internet person which is probably just as well. Most women won't touch Chesstalk with a ten foot pole because there is a high probablility that they will get caught up in exchanges with an insane person. Nothing gets decided on Chesstalk. You seem to want to change the status quo. I don't think chess can be considered part of the mainstream if it casts off 51% of the Canadian population which is, in effect, what you want to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X