CFC financial dealings with FIDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC financial dealings with FIDE

In post # 93 on this thread http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...Response/page5

The thread worked it's way round to this question: will Canada be getting a grant from FIDE to run tournaments, as promised?

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    Probably not. If we were, it might not be prudent to accept it (the FIDE grant for tournaments) at this time given the uncertainty about the implications of the U.S. sanctions.
    Personally, I think the US sanctions amount to bullying, but the US is a very powerful bully.

If indeed the CFC is concerned about US sanctions against Kirsan/FIDE, might it not be more prudent to stop sending money to FIDE.

I mean, which would be worse, from the US point of view: taking a grant from person/organisation which is under sanction, or funding that organisation?

Re: CFC financial dealings with FIDE

FIDE is not under sanction by the US. I agree with your characterization of the sanctions against Kirsan based on the limited information that has been provided. The USCF is continuing to promote and sponsor FIDE events so it would be jumping the gun for the CFC to over react to this situation. I have no doubt that there is a path which would allow these tournaments to proceed but not one that might not incur the considerable wrath of the U.S. treasury department and frankly the rate of pay of the CFC presidency (zero) or the executive (also zero) does not justify taking those types of cataclysmic risks. The potential legal costs to stir that boiling pot of crazy would certainly be much more than the sponsorship funds available.

Comment

FIDE is not under sanction by the US. I agree with your characterization of the sanctions against Kirsan based on the limited information that has been provided. The USCF is continuing to promote and sponsor FIDE events so it would be jumping the gun for the CFC to over react to this situation. I have no doubt that there is a path which would allow these tournaments to proceed but not one that might not incur the considerable wrath of the U.S. treasury department and frankly the rate of pay of the CFC presidency (zero) or the executive (also zero) does not justify taking those types of cataclysmic risks. The potential legal costs to stir that boiling pot of crazy would certainly be much more than the sponsorship funds available.
      I'm really confused. If the money are coming from FIDE and FIDE is not under sanction by the US why do you worry about "cataclysmic risks"? Is FIDE doing the money transfer from KI accounts? Is his signature on the wire transfer? I don't get it.

Comment

I have no doubt that there is a path which would allow these tournaments to proceed but not one that might not incur the considerable wrath of the U.S. treasury department and frankly the rate of pay of the CFC presidency (zero) or the executive (also zero) does not justify taking those types of cataclysmic risks. The potential legal costs to stir that boiling pot of crazy would certainly be much more than the sponsorship funds available.
        I think my statement is quite clear and is not something that I am going to elaborate on any further on Chesstalk. If you haven't noticed FIDE's financial situation is not as good as it was with its chief benefactor, fundraiser and rainmaker now on the sidelines due to the U.S. sanctions. This has led to some belt tightening.

Comment

"I have no doubt that there is a path which would allow these tournaments to proceed" Could you elaborate, please? And are the executives also "have no doubts"?

Comment

"FIDE's financial situation is not as good as it was" - well, soon FIDE will get hundreds of thousands of dollars (20% of the the upcoming World Championship). If there is an agreement exist between FIDE and CFC could CFC claim from these proceeds its $60,000?

Comment

Your position is inconsistent and illogical. Either it's too risky dealing with FIDE or it isn't. Why would it be acceptable to deal with FIDE on their revenue side but not on their expense side? Is there information that would clarify your position that you're not sharing? As Rene Preotu asked (and as I asked in another thread), what organization or individual paid the $20k to the CFC?

A question for other people reading this: could someone with contacts at the USCF confirm whether they received a norm tournament incentive payment from FIDE?
              Last edited by Peter McKillop; Friday, 6th May, 2016, 11:39 AM.
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

...From A Dance With Dragons.

One of the Freys stepped forward, a knight long and lean of limb, clean-shaved but for a grey
                mustache as thin as a Myrish stiletto. “The Red Wedding was the Young Wolf’s work. He changed into a
                beast before our eyes and tore out the throat of my cousin Jinglebell, a harmless simpleton. He would
                have slain my lord father too, if Ser Wendel had not put himself in the way.”
                Lord Wyman blinked back tears. “Wendel was always a brave boy. I was not surprised to learn
                he died a hero.”
                The enormity of the lie made Davos gasp. “Is it your claim that Robb Stark killed Wendel
                Manderly?” he asked the Frey.
                “And many more. Mine own son Tytos was amongst them, and my daughter’s husband. When
                Stark changed into a wolf, his northmen did the same. The mark of the beast was on them all. Wargs
                birth other wargs with a bite, it is well-known. It was all my brothers and I could do to put them down
                before they slew us all.”
                The man was smirking as he told the tale. Davos wanted to peel his lips off with a knife. “Ser,
                may I have your name?”
                “Ser Jared, of House Frey.”
                “Jared of House Frey, I name you liar.”

Comment

Peter, would you agree that in a view of the murky situation effecting a lot of young Canadian players and the CFC's (non for profit organization) Executives unable/unwilling to clarify it once and for all, an official inquiry should be requested? Any other opinions?
                  Last edited by Sasha Starr; Friday, 6th May, 2016, 12:28 PM.

Comment

George R.R. Martin ticked me off so much when he blinded Arya that I'm not sure I'll even bother reading A Dance With Dragons. That little girl had been through so much....I wonder if Martin is some kind of sadist.
                    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

In my previous post I've made it clear that the $80,000.00 affair effects a lot of young Canadian players. CFC's (non for profit organization) Executives are unable/unwilling to clarify it once and for all (Drkulec: "I think my statement is quite clear and is not something that I am going to elaborate on any further on Chesstalk"). I think something should be done about it. Do you believe that an official inquiry should be requested? Need your support. Please initiate the pool. Only one question: to start or not to start an inquiry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
                        In my previous post I've made it clear that the $80,000.00 affair effects a lot of young Canadian players. CFC's (non for profit organization) Executives are unable/unwilling to clarify it once and for all (Drkulec: "I think my statement is quite clear and is not something that I am going to elaborate on any further on Chesstalk"). I think something should be done about it. Do you believe that an official inquiry should be requested? Need your support. Please initiate the pool. Only one question: to start or not to start an inquiry.
                        Sasha, I'm not sure what you mean by 'inquiry'. If you mean that the facts should be disclosed regarding the $80k and that the questions that you, me, and others have asked should be answered, then I agree with you. However, I have no standing with the CFC. No matter how noisy I am, I have no official voice and the CFC can ignore me at its leisure. It seems to me that an inquiry is a job that the voting members have to take on. And if they're going to do it then they should get started now because the AGM is coming up soon. To start, are you a voting member?

Comment

Yes, I am, and it is my duty to ask Executives provide a full and complete disclosure regarding this financial arrangement with FIDE.

Comment

My official answer in response to Sasha's email request for an official inquiry:

As a voting member you do not have the authority to start an official inquiry. You can bring a motion to the next meeting (in three or four weeks) to start an official inquiry or you can ask a question in the next meeting, or on the voting members forum, though such a motion would more properly be addressed at an AGM which is coming up in August. i will not oppose a properly crafted motion being put on the ballot but it is up to you to create such a motion and obtain the requisite support to put it on the ballot.

Under the NFP act the proper time frame for presenting such member motions is three to six months before the AGM so if it is your intention to go ahead with this you should start now. I suggest you get a copy of Roberts Rules of Order in order to assist you with the drafting of your motion. Given your past behaviour and my limited time I will not be able to assist you in this endeavour.

I will block any attempt to re-fight the FIDE election of 2014 which was dealt with on three separate occasions including the 2014 CFC election.

Vladimir Drkulec
                            President, Chess Federation of Canada

Comment

I'm taking your post as an invitation to also post here my emails to voting members. Here is one: "A simple question requires a simple answer: regarding $80,000.00, WHO was the CFC's deal WITH?" The problem is that some voting members believe that the deal was with FIDE, and others - with Iliumzhinov.

Comment

Working...
                              X