Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC financial dealings with FIDE

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    Aside from life voting members the bulk of the voting members have to stand for election every year. There is usually a significant turnover every year. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.
    Certainly makes your life easier, Vlad, when the CFC does such a damned poor job of making information publicly available. For example, where can one find the current and complete list of CFC voting members? And don't bother telling me that it's buried somewhere in the AGM minutes. CFC members should be able to go to the CFC's website and find out which voting members are representing their area without having to go through of bunch of b.s. searching through old minutes. I mean how f'ing long does it take to post a list of 40 or so names on a web page?

Meanwhile you sit there smirking (that's the way your post comes across) at people like Sasha who are trying to follow up on legitimate concerns - concerns that you could probably answer truthfully in just a few sentences but for some reason you choose to not do that. Meanwhile, with a few exceptions, all the other executives/voting members just sit there; they don't give a sh*t just so long as no sh*t sticks to them, right?
    Last edited by Peter McKillop; Monday, 9th May, 2016, 08:14 PM.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Bravo, Peter! But it would be much more powerful if you said what you really think.......
      Fred Harvey

Comment

CFC is an obedient servant of a corrupted Russia's controlled FIDE and should probably be demolished for good and a new proper accountable to its members Canadian Chess Association should be created. With a real management, capital, fund raising machine and the close ties with US where chess is doing extremely well and three Universities are offering chess scholarships! However here is the question of the day: is it possible to fix/reorganize CFC? If the answer is yes, then HOW?

Comment

The current list of voting members should be here: http://chess.ca/governors-page

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
            The current list of voting members should be here: http://chess.ca/governors-page
            Garland, it is terribly outdated, includes some people no longer alive...

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
              Garland, it is terribly outdated, includes some people no longer alive...
              The only deceased person is Peter Stockhausen, as far as I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                Thanks, Garland, but one of the headers in the list indicates that your link is the 2013/14 governors listing, not the current list of voting members.
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                  Meanwhile you sit there smirking (that's the way your post comes across) at people like Sasha who are trying to follow up on legitimate concerns - concerns that you could probably answer truthfully in just a few sentences but for some reason you choose to not do that. Meanwhile, with a few exceptions, all the other executives/voting members just sit there; they don't give a sh*t just so long as no sh*t sticks to them, right?
                  Sasha got his answer. He just didn't like the answer he got. The fact is, he is spouting a revisionist tale of history that anyone who was there knows is not true and to their credit the voting members who responded to him called him on it.

People have lots of demands of people who are already working flat out as hard as they can. When I got angry about CFC decisions, I got involved and volunteered and started doing things to make the CFC better. Within two years I was president and from the looks of things I might be president for life - which will hopefully not be a very short life due to the added aggravation of the CFC president job. The rabid feeding frenzy on chesstalk doesn't help.

You have priorities which you would like to see addressed. I have priorities which I would like to see addressed. Guess which ones I plan on working on...

Comment

CFC is an obedient servant of a corrupted Russia's controlled FIDE and should probably be demolished for good and a new proper accountable to its members Canadian Chess Association should be created. With a real management, capital, fund raising machine and the close ties with US where chess is doing extremely well and three Universities are offering chess scholarships! However here is the question of the day: is it possible to fix/reorganize CFC? If the answer is yes, then HOW?
                    Sasha this is outrageous. The CFC is not a FIDE servant whatsoever. And Russia does not control FIDE.

I am extremely disappointed that Kirsan's $20k per year election promise stalled after one year and I still hope for a positive outcome.

If you want to improve the CFC, help us build something. Stop diverting our attention and insulting us!

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                      Sasha this is outrageous. The CFC is not a FIDE servant whatsoever. And Russia does not control FIDE.

I am extremely disappointed that Kirsan's $20k per year election promise stalled after one year and I still hope for a positive outcome.

If you want to improve the CFC, help us build something. Stop diverting our attention and insulting us!
                      No, Hal this is not outrageous at all. Russia controls FIDE by providing finances to virtually ALL FIDE tournaments such as World Championships, Candidates, etc. and you know it first hand. Through its Embassies around the World Russia influences outcome of the FIDE elections. And it is not too difficult considering that USA and Gabon each has one vote...

With its present leadership CFC CAN NOT be improved and WILL NOT. And to change leadership under present rules is impossible. Everyone, executives, almost all voting members happy with the present situation.

Comment

My position was that the CFC should not cast a vote for either candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                          My position was that the CFC should not cast a vote for either candidate.
                          Yes, Ken, that was a way better option, and a practical one at that: you could have a working relationship with both candidates. However in a view that one of the two candidates was GARRY KASPAROV, whose name will remain forever in the history of chess, and CFC ENDORSES his opponent you know who... All people in Canada must know about it.

And why would anybody consider helping CFC headed by a bunch of people who made this horrible decision?

Comment

Exactly! And nobody gives a damn about it... his name is still there, interesting, for how long it will remain there?

Comment

No, Hal this is not outrageous at all. Russia controls FIDE by providing finances to virtually ALL FIDE tournaments such as World Championships, Candidates, etc. and you know it first hand. Through its Embassies around the World Russia influences outcome of the FIDE elections. And it is not too difficult considering that USA and Gabon each has one vote...

With its present leadership CFC CAN NOT be improved and WILL NOT. And to change leadership under present rules is impossible. Everyone, executives, almost all voting members happy with the present situation.
                              Russia controlling FIDE is nonsense. We were never contacted by a Russian embassy for the last FIDE election.

Your idea of improving the CFC leadership is to put you and your cronies in and allowing them to loot the foundation funds by paying themselves salaries. That was one of your campaign promises when you ran that the executive would pay themselves a salary so I am not making that up. You can't even do that under Canadian law the way the CFC is structured as a non-profit.

Frankly I started out as a lukewarm supporter of Kasparov but met resistance from the rest of the executive which prompted me to do some investigation. Coupled with the over the top tactics of the Kasparov people and the results of my investigation I swung over to the other side. Once it became clear that I had swung over to the other side I was subjected to relentless attacks which I responded to. It was interesting seeing how the Kasparov people operated. It was easy to see every move ahead of time and their playbook was limited. A nice touch were their attempts to undermine me and Hal. It was worthy of something out of the Punisher movie and just about as subtle.

To win among the governors all I had to do was lay out what the Kasparov campaign had done and how they had behaved.

In any case, this is very old news and boring. You no doubt have the lazy do nothings convinced but who really cares what they think? I know I don't.

If you want power and influence in the CFC then you need to volunteer and do some of the things that need to get done. Your power will grow as you deliver the goods. You and some of the chesstalk armchair quarterbacks only sit there and criticize and never do anything to make the situation better. There are many flaws in the CFC many of which could be fixed if I had a few more volunteers of the caliber of some of the members of the executive of the CFC or the executive of some of the provincial associations or the many tournament directors, organizers and coaches who are the lifeblood of the CFC. I don't have those extra people so we have to make do with what we have. With the resources I have I have to address the day to day running of the CFC issues and maybe slowly, step by step work on one or two things that need to be fixed at a time. That's what we have been doing. Things seem to be improving. I will keep working on them as long as I can which may not be as long as I would like.

The real reason that the present CFC leadership will probably not change quickly except in the case of death or illness is that you want to take the elevator to the top and not climb the stairs. The present leadership do the work for free out of love for the game of chess and you only see the potential profit but you are too lazy to do anything about it. You offer up sacrificial paper tigers as opposition and you come off as somewhat deranged in online debate. I am told you are not like that in real life and thank God for that. The fact is that a CFC under the stewardship of you and your cronies would show a balance sheet similar to the one that Chess Supersite shows (700k in the hole and counting) and the result would be bankruptcy for the CFC.

Comment

Yes, Ken, that was a way better option, and a practical one at that: you could have a working relationship with both candidates. However in a view that one of the two candidates was GARRY KASPAROV, whose name will remain forever in the history of chess, and CFC ENDORSES his opponent you know who... All people in Canada must know about it.

And why would anybody consider helping CFC headed by a bunch of people who made this horrible decision?
                                All the people in Canada know about it. They don't care. Kasparov's name will live forever as a player and deservedly so. Being a great player does not make someone a great administrator or great leader. I don't believe in blind hero worship as you seem to. The most convincing person on the Kasparov side in 2014 tried to convince me that Garry had changed and had learned his lessons from his past stumbles and that he was not the vindictive and somewhat destructive person he seemed to be. Their federation was taking a leap of faith convinced that the leopard had changed his spots. Unfortunately for the Kasparov campaign he and his people were there in the media and on twitter and his proxies were on chesstalk showing that nothing had changed.

Comment

Working...
                                X