Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CYCC Qualifier on May 29th, 2016 in MISSISSAUGA at GEMS Learning Institute

Hello everyone :)

All kids are welcome to attend 2016 CYCC qualifier tournament on Sunday, May 29th

Sections: U8, U10, U12, U14, U16, U18 (Note: Sections with fewer then 12 players may be combined)
    Qualification: Players achieving a score of 2.5 or better will qualify to participate in the 2016 CYCC in Windsor!
    Prizes: Trophies, Medals, Free chess lessons.
    Entry Fee: $30.00 (NOTE: pre-register through email or through website)
    $35.00 if registered on site
    Dates: Sunday, May 29, 2016
    Venue: GEMS LEARNING INSTITUTE
    Address: 3476 Glen Erin Drive, Unit 13, Mississauga, ON, L5L 3R4
    Format: 5 round Swiss pairings.
    Time Control: 30 minutes per player
    Round start time: 1:00p.m., 2:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m., 4:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. os ASAP
    Parking: Free parking
    Email: Madiha@gemslearninginstitute.com
    Phone: www.gemslearninginstitute.com
    Phone: 1(416) 910-6131

Re: CYCC Qualifier on May 29th, 2016 in MISSISSAUGA at GEMS Learning Institute

Just curious - are those who will qualify will need to pay late fees to register to CYCC?

("Additional $25 late fee after May 8th. $50 late fee after June 1st." taken from http://windsorchess.org/cycc.php)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      Just curious - are those who will qualify will need to pay late fees to register to CYCC?

("Additional $25 late fee after May 8th. $50 late fee after June 1st." taken from http://windsorchess.org/cycc.php)
      After June 4th it will not be possible to get a hotel room at the deeply discounted rate of $129 for double occupancy. The hotel will be selling off the rooms at a much higher rate.

The GEMS Learning Institute is one of the CYCC's sponsors.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
        After June 4th it will not be possible to get a hotel room at the deeply discounted rate of $129 for double occupancy. The hotel will be selling off the rooms at a much higher rate.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems Egid's question was not answered unless the fact that GEMS Learning Institute sponsoring the CYCC implies they don't need to deal with late fees? Also, the info about hotel registration seems completely out of place?
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          Maybe it is just me, but it seems Egid's question was not answered unless the fact that GEMS Learning Institute sponsoring the CYCC implies they don't need to deal with late fees? Also, the info about hotel registration seems completely out of place?
          It's not just you.

Steve

Comment

CYCC 2016 - Parents please think before you act

I see all qualifying games are 30 mins each quick games and not regular slow games of 90 minutes each, which is the format of games played at CYCC.

CFC just pushes attendance at CYCC with utter contempt and disregard either for the standard of the tournament or the financial strain it puts on the families, especially those from out of town who have to foot travel and hotel expenses on top of $225 tournament fee.

CYCC is a huge cash cow for CFC, since it collects $150 on top of the tournament fee of $75 - which goes to the organizers. They claim it is for the purpose of travel expense to send the winner in each section to WYCC. CFC tries to get the enrolment to as high a level as possible, target of 300, so that they collect around $45,000.

Official delegation is only 12 - 6 section winner in boys section and 6 in girls plus 1 coach total 13, this year since WYCC is split to two groups, it would be two delegations of 7 each which comes to 14. (3 boys SW, 3 girls SW plus 1 coach in two groups). However they use the money collected to benefit select set of CFC cronies who get paid to go to WYCC consisting of

i) Head of delegation - their favoured person
            ii) Additional coaches to benefit extra players - most of these extra players are mediocre however they have rich parents and CFC president is on their payroll.

Also many boys section have a field of more than 50, with many players above 2000 rating in slow chess. It is a huge investment of money - especially for those out of town, time and effort to attend CYCC.

It is very likely to be a highly unpleasant experience for your child, especially if your child has played in only a few quick chess games and not played in any slow CFC rated games, to come in and play at CYCC. I would suggest that your child should have played in at least 25 CFC rated slow games and achieved a minimum CFC rating of around 1500. It could be somewhat less than 1500 in girls section and U8 or U10 boys section, however the 25 slow CFC rated games is bare minimum.

OYCC qualification is a good but still may not be worth going to CYCC without additional slow CFC rated games experience.

It is highly unethical to allow such loose qualification criteria based on quick chess to CYCC, call it national championship it is a joke.

All they want is your $150. This is straight from the heart of a chess parent. However it is your money, your child and your choice
            Last edited by Keerti Nyayachavadi; Thursday, 19th May, 2016, 04:04 PM.

Comment

In Montreal it only cost $135 per night that too in Fairmont Queen Elizabeth. Only an idiot will claim that $129 is a good rate in Windsor.

Comment

Re: CYCC 2016 - Parents please think before you act

Originally posted by Keerti Nyayachavadi View Post

However they use the money collected to benefit select set of CFC cronies who get paid to go to WYCC consisting of

i) Head of delegation - their favoured person
                ii) Additional coaches to benefit extra players - most of these extra players are mediocre however they have rich parents and CFC president is on their payroll.
                I was involved (volunteered my time) with the WYCC registrations and I can tell for sure you're wrong. I didn't agree with all the decisions regarding the WYCC bursaries but everything was approved by the CFC's executives. The head of the delegation wasn't "their favoured person" and the extra players had to pay for the additional coaches.

Originally posted by Keerti Nyayachavadi View Post

This is straight from the heart of a chess parent. However it is your money, your child and your choice
                I've been a "chess parent" for almost 10 years. My son's first CYCC was in 2007 at Fairmont Château Laurier, Ottawa and he didn't have to qualify. He only played 11 CFC rated games before that CYCC. The tournament was one of the best CYCC we attended and I don't regret that choice. He had the chance to play against GM Susan Polgar and meet GM Nigel Short.
                With the exception of OYCC all other CYCC qualifiers are "cash cow". From www.oycc.ca "The OYCC will also be able to support the top players from each section to go on to the CYCC with bursaries that may cover anywhere from part of the entry fee to the CYCC to full entry plus some more to help with travel/hotel expenses!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                  I was involved (volunteered my time) with the WYCC registrations and I can tell for sure you're wrong. I didn't agree with all the decisions regarding the WYCC bursaries but everything was approved by the CFC's executives. The head of the delegation wasn't "their favoured person" and the extra players had to pay for the additional coaches.
                  Rene: There could have been a more favoured person. However no Montreal organizers from 2014 CYCC have denied that that same person was paid hotel and travel expense for CYCC 2014 - not sure if CFC which micromanages CYCC's forced tournament organizers to pay or money was paid from $150 CFC forcibly collects from all tournament participants, it appears from the conversations overheard before 2015 CYCC, former may be the case.

CYCC2015 organizers have not denied it either though Vlad has denied it,both have zero credibility and integrity.:

Note: Disregard Steve's response in below link
                  http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...l=1#post100244

$150 each collected from extra players most likely not covered 5 extra coaches travel, hotel and food expenses. Where did the rest of the money come from?

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                  I've been a "chess parent" for almost 10 years. My son's first CYCC was in 2007 at Fairmont Château Laurier, Ottawa and he didn't have to qualify. He only played 11 CFC rated games before that CYCC. The tournament was one of the best CYCC we attended and I don't regret that choice. He had the chance to play against GM Susan Polgar and meet GM Nigel Short.
                  With the exception of OYCC all other CYCC qualifiers are "cash cow". From www.oycc.ca "The OYCC will also be able to support the top players from each section to go on to the CYCC with bursaries that may cover anywhere from part of the entry fee to the CYCC to full entry plus some more to help with travel/hotel expenses!"
                  My son played regular 90 Min chess game for first time at OYCC and qualified, then he played may be about 10 to 12 regular CFC rated games, in hindsight I feel it would have been better to pass. Then each kid is different Rezvan with his talent was ready, every rule does have exceptions.

CFC is hungry for a fast buck, however the saying "Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me" holds true
                  Last edited by Keerti Nyayachavadi; Friday, 20th May, 2016, 11:32 PM. Reason: Note to disregard Steve's response in link

Comment

Yaaaawwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnn!!!

Comment

CYCC may have been a cash cow in the past but whatever money comes in is now spent on junior chess. We tend to be pay as you go these days. When CYCC brings in lots of money we are able to spend more money on junior programs. We have been spreading the money around by funding players who finished second and third by paying for the organizer fees and FIDE fees. I do not believe the CFC did this in the past. We also tend to send more coaches which can get expensive. Ten years ago we did not send coaches or we sent one coach along who might have also acted as head of delegation.

We have provided some funding for the under 16 Olympiad team the last two years and expect to do the same this year. In 2014 we sent three teams to Hungary. Last year we sent a team to Mongolia. This year we will send a team to Slovakia.

Obviously if we have a smaller CYCC we will have less of a budget to spend on junior programs. I see no signs that people are heeding calls for a boycott. In fact, given the rush of registrations I expect this years CYCC to raise as much money for the youth fund as most of the recent ones.

It is getting much more difficult to find venues in order to hold CYCC and NAYCC. Prices in Toronto, Montreal and even Windsor have climbed through the roof. OYCC in Kitchener had no official hotel this year because all the rooms were already booked for other events. In future years, CYCC will probably have to be held in smaller centers where local tourism bureau's and businesses are willing to provide sponsorship.

Comment

Late fees will apply to entries from this tournament.

Comment

Obviously if we have a smaller CYCC we will have less of a budget to spend on junior programs. I see no signs that people are heeding calls for a boycott. In fact, given the rush of registrations I expect this years CYCC to raise as much money for the youth fund as most of the recent ones.
                          By the end of May 2015, there were 125 registrations for CYCC. A further 155 players registerd in June, and there were a few very late entries in July.

At the moment, there are 143 entries so far, so CYCC2016 registrations are ahead of last year.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                            By the end of May 2015, there were 125 registrations for CYCC. A further 155 players registerd in June, and there were a few very late entries in July.

At the moment, there are 143 entries so far, so CYCC2016 registrations are ahead of last year.
                            Could you tell if there were any late fees the last year?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              Could you tell if there were any late fees the last year?
                              In 2015... "Fees are $225.00 CAD until June 10, 2015. After the said date, fees will be $250.00 per registration."

Comment

Working...
                              X