Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CYCC 2016 - Parents please think before you act

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
    By the end of May 2015, there were 125 registrations for CYCC. A further 155 players registerd in June, and there were a few very late entries in July.

At the moment, there are 143 entries so far, so CYCC2016 registrations are ahead of last year.
    Actually there are more than 143 as I received a flurry of cheques and email registrations in the last two or three days which tend to be my busiest. I should be caught up on the weekend. Its good to know that we are ahead of last year's pace as there is always the fear that no one will show up to the party.

Comment

I didn't intend to step into this particular quagmire, but since you are choosing to respond to me, I will reply to you.

Originally posted by Keerti Nyayachavadi View Post
      I see all qualifying games are 30 mins each quick games and not regular slow games of 90 minutes each, which is the format of games played at CYCC.
      Long time controls have been the standard at the CYCC for at least the last 15 years. Many qualifiers use a shorter time control. Both of these facts are well known.

CFC just pushes attendance at CYCC with utter contempt and disregard either for the standard of the tournament or the financial strain it puts on the families, especially those from out of town who have to foot travel and hotel expenses on top of $225 tournament fee.
      The standard of the CYCC has been fairly high as far as I know for many years. I don't see how the CFC is responsible for any "financial strain" on families. If you cannot afford to attend, then don't. Furthermore, since it appears your child lives in Windsor, and the upcoming tournament will be held in Windsor, exactly where does this "financial strain" come from?

CYCC is a huge cash cow for CFC, since it collects $150 on top of the tournament fee of $75 - which goes to the organizers.
      The CFC portion is used to fund the delegation to the WYCC. The CFC doesn't make a profit from it AFAIK. The CYCC is not a cash cow for the CFC. It *is* a potential "cash cow" for the organizers but even then, it's not a profitable venture. The "cash cow" nature refers to the fact that it will produce cashflow and therefore not *lose* money.

In the past there was at least one (or many) CYCC's where the entry fees were used by the organizers to bolster the prize fund for the Canadian Open. The CFC put a stop to that with their current requirement that $150 of the entry fee go to the CFC to fund the WYCC delegation.

They claim it is for the purpose of travel expense to send the winner in each section to WYCC. CFC tries to get the enrolment to as high a level as possible, target of 300, so that they collect around $45,000.
      Which is used to send the winners to the WYCC. What's your problem here?

Official delegation is only 12 - 6 section winner in boys section and 6 in girls plus 1 coach total 13, this year since WYCC is split to two groups, it would be two delegations of 7 each which comes to 14. (3 boys SW, 3 girls SW plus 1 coach in two groups). However they use the money collected to benefit select set of CFC cronies who get paid to go to WYCC consisting of

i) Head of delegation - their favoured person
      ii) Additional coaches to benefit extra players - most of these extra players are mediocre however they have rich parents and CFC president is on their payroll.
      I'm pretty sure the revenues and expenses for these delegations are fairly transparent. Sending 13-15 people halfway around the world for a week is fairly expensive. Your last statement is libelous and illogical. You are suggesting that some group of parents are paying the CFC president money so that he can then divert funds from the CFC's over-full bank account (*cough*) to pay for extra people to attend the WYCC. For what purpose? And where does this extra money come from? Oh, wait, the parents. Ummm, why don't the parents just spend the money themselves to send their kids to the WYCC? Oh wait, they do?

As I said, your statement is libelous.

Also many boys section have a field of more than 50, with many players above 2000 rating in slow chess. It is a huge investment of money - especially for those out of town, time and effort to attend CYCC.
      Yes, and your point would be what?

It is very likely to be a highly unpleasant experience for your child, especially if your child has played in only a few quick chess games and not played in any slow CFC rated games, to come in and play at CYCC.
      The time controls for the CYCC are well-posted in advance. Prudence and common sense would suggest to *anybody* to play many games and at least 1 tournament at long time controls before deciding to play in a national championship--which will attract the very best players in the country--for the first time. From the sounds of it your kid had a lousy time at their first CYCC. But then again I think you said in another post that the hotel was wonderful. Maybe your expectations were too high.

I would suggest that your child should have played in at least 25 CFC rated slow games and achieved a minimum CFC rating of around 1500.
      I would suggest it be many more than 25 and the rating will depend upon the age. It's not hard to look up old crosstables for CYCC's to see what the rating spread for a given section is.

It could be somewhat less than 1500 in girls section and U8 or U10 boys section, however the 25 slow CFC rated games is bare minimum.

OYCC qualification is a good but still may not be worth going to CYCC without additional slow CFC rated games experience.
      See above.

It is highly unethical to allow such loose qualification criteria based on quick chess to CYCC, call it national championship it is a joke.

All they want is your $150. This is straight from the heart of a chess parent. However it is your money, your child and your choice
      Where's the ethics issue here? (Rene--I'm not talking about your issue from last year.) It *is* a national championship. The CFC's $150 goes to funding the delegation to the WYCC. The other $75 goes to the organizer to cover their costs.

Steve

P.S. Your "heart" seems to be filled with bitterness for some perceived slight and you regard yourself as a victim. Somehow you have been preyed-upon by Vlad. (I've read most of your other posts.) And before you claim I don't know what I'm talking about, I *am* a chess parent and have attended approximately a half dozen CYCC's numerous OCC's, umpteen CMA Grand Prix events, one Superfest, several CYCC qualifiers, and numerous OHSCC's. Maybe you should have your kid take up hockey. I hear that's a cheaper sport (*cough, choke, gag*).

Comment

$150 each collected from extra players most likely not covered 5 extra coaches travel, hotel and food expenses. Where did the rest of the money come from?
        I know that $4950 came from the additional players (27x$150+3x$300). I don't know how much CYCC funds where available but I'm assuming that CFC has a CYCC financial report. I remember that the 2011 CYCC organizers provided a full financial report on Chesstalk.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
          I know that $4950 came from the additional players (27x$150+3x$300). I don't know how much CYCC funds where available but I'm assuming that CFC has a CYCC financial report. I remember that the 2011 CYCC organizers provided a full financial report on Chesstalk.
          I suggest that what you should be interested in obtaining is a proper financial accounting from the CFC regarding how they spend their share of the CYCC proceeds. Organizers get $75 per child. If they have money left after the direct expenses have been paid then that money belongs to the organizers. And that's where it belongs. I can't imagine how aggravating it must be organizing a large tournament for several hundred children and their quarrelsome (apparently) and libelous (definitely) parents. Leave the organizers alone, unless it's crystal clear that something illegal or highly incompetent has happened, and find out how the CFC spends their share of the CYCC entry fees. This is absolutely the last time I'm going to harp about this topic until the next time I harp about it (which will be never....maybe).
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
            I suggest that what you should be interested in obtaining is a proper financial accounting from the CFC regarding how they spend their share of the CYCC proceeds. Organizers get $75 per child. If they have money left after the direct expenses have been paid then that money belongs to the organizers. And that's where it belongs. I can't imagine how aggravating it must be organizing a large tournament for several hundred children and their quarrelsome (apparently) and libelous (definitely) parents. Leave the organizers alone, unless it's crystal clear that something illegal or highly incompetent has happened, and find out how the CFC spends their share of the CYCC entry fees. This is absolutely the last time I'm going to harp about this topic until the next time I harp about it (which will be never....maybe).
            I wasn't questioning the $75 per child. I just don't know how much did CFC receive from the organizers so I can answer the question:

$150 each collected from extra players most likely not covered 5 extra coaches travel, hotel and food expenses. Where did the rest of the money come from?
            I'm assuming the difference came from the Youth fund.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
              I didn't intend to step into this particular quagmire, but since you are choosing to respond to me, I will reply to you..
              You were not the OP. I provided a link to your post since Frank's original post which you quoted was deleted. I should have added a note to disregard your response sorry about that. I have edited it to add that note

Long time controls have been the standard at the CYCC for at least the last 15 years. Many qualifiers use a shorter time control. Both of these facts are well known.
              Where did I say long format is a new thing at CYCC. What's your point

The standard of the CYCC has been fairly high as far as I know for many years. I don't see how the CFC is responsible for any "financial strain" on families. If you cannot afford to attend, then don't. Furthermore, since it appears your child lives in Windsor, and the upcoming tournament will be held in Windsor, exactly where does this "financial strain" come from?
              CYCC standard is very high with quite a few instances of participants trying three moves that too in U14 section, it is indeed very high standard.

I do not look at it from my own selfish perspective. equity and fairness is more important to me than self interest.

The CFC portion is used to fund the delegation to the WYCC. The CFC doesn't make a profit from it AFAIK. The CYCC is not a cash cow for the CFC. It *is* a potential "cash cow" for the organizers but even then, it's not a profitable venture. The "cash cow" nature refers to the fact that it will produce cashflow and therefore not *lose* money.
              2014 CYCC Montreal included Canadian open entry as well at no extra cost and no extra charges for some lighter chess tournaments after the game at no extra cost.

However there was no Canadian Open after 2015 CYCC Windsor, charged money for bug house tournament, harassed Windsor kids to sell fundraiser pasta dinner tickets, were abusive to at least two kids I know of who were unable to sell fundraiser tickets, pestered Windsor parents to pay only by cash or cheque and not paypal.

2016 CYCC Windsor participants have to pay extra $175 for Canadian open Vlad posts here deeply discounted rate was $128, where as the tournament web site says $129.00 Canadian Sun through Thursday and $149.00 Canadian Fri, Sat. Montreal was only $135 any day. Vlad claims it is deep discount,.

In the past there was at least one (or many) CYCC's where the entry fees were used by the organizers to bolster the prize fund for the Canadian Open. The CFC put a stop to that with their current requirement that $150 of the entry fee go to the CFC to fund the WYCC delegation.

Which is used to send the winners to the WYCC. What's your problem here?
              Head of delegation what is the selection basis? Extra coaches instead of sending a really good player form 50 plus entry boys section.

I'm pretty sure the revenues and expenses for these delegations are fairly transparent. Sending 13-15 people halfway around the world for a week is fairly expensive. Your last statement is libelous and illogical. You are suggesting that some group of parents are paying the CFC president money so that he can then divert funds from the CFC's over-full bank account (*cough*) to pay for extra people to attend the WYCC. For what purpose? And where does this extra money come from? Oh, wait, the parents. Ummm, why don't the parents just spend the money themselves to send their kids to the WYCC? Oh wait, they do?

As I said, your statement is libelous.
              I asked questions and Rene provided some answer in another thread. Your contention it is illogical and libelous is idiotic.

The time controls for the CYCC are well-posted in advance. Prudence and common sense would suggest to *anybody* to play many games and at least 1 tournament at long time controls before deciding to play in a national championship--which will attract the very best players in the country--for the first time. From the sounds of it your kid had a lousy time at their first CYCC. But then again I think you said in another post that the hotel was wonderful. Maybe your expectations were too high.
              I never said I was blind sided by CYCC time controls, your inferences are stupid

Steve

P.S. Your "heart" seems to be filled with bitterness for some perceived slight and you regard yourself as a victim. Somehow you have been preyed-upon by Vlad. (I've read most of your other posts.) And before you claim I don't know what I'm talking about, I *am* a chess parent and have attended approximately a half dozen CYCC's numerous OCC's, umpteen CMA Grand Prix events, one Superfest, several CYCC qualifiers, and numerous OHSCC's. Maybe you should have your kid take up hockey. I hear that's a cheaper sport (*cough, choke, gag*).
              It seems you are a white supremacist who want to be magnanimous to less knowledgeable non white person. Thanks for hockey advice. Hope you should send your posts to Donald Trump,certainly you have a great chance of getting hired for his campaign
              Last edited by Keerti Nyayachavadi; Friday, 20th May, 2016, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Just when I thought we had hit an almost all-time low, I am surprised again!

I am LOL!!

Surely, this must be a joke meant to keep us "fools" reading?

Anyone who attempts to use logic and/or facts with this guy is foolish.

This is one of those long strings where whatever is said gets pulled and picked at just to keep this going.

As far as who is the racist.... I think I see it now!

Oh, poor me, I am non-white, so the only reason you could be disagreeing with me is because you are a racist.

Where do you get your lessons, from the Democrats in the USA?

HAHAHAHAHA!

Sometimes, I simply can't resist.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                  Just when I thought we had hit an almost all-time low, I am surprised again!
                  Did anyone call anyone a Nazi yet?

Comment

As far as who is the racist.... I think I see it now!
                    I bet you have a mirror in front of you LOL

Oh, poor me, I am non-white, so the only reason you could be disagreeing with me is because you are a racist.

Where do you get your lessons, from the Democrats in the USA?

HAHAHAHAHA!

Sometimes, I simply can't resist.
                    Certainly Obama was not born in Hawaii LMAO

Comment

Well at least two people did imply that your revenue at Windsor chess challenge aka OYCC qualifier included money collected by school for bus transportation. Seriously John how did you make the money disappear from the bus company and come to you?
                      Last edited by Keerti Nyayachavadi; Friday, 20th May, 2016, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Well at least two people did imply that your revenue at Windsor chess challenge aka OYCC qualifier included money collected by school for bus transportation. Seriously John how did you make the money disappear from the bus company and come to you?
                        Keerti,

Can you please stop these personal attacks against the Windsor people?

"Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me" holds true
                        This one too: "If two people say you're drunk, go to bed"

Comment

Keerti,

Can you please stop these personal attacks against the Windsor people?
                          Rene:
                          In another thread (deleted) my son was attacked by Vlad though he never posted anything in that thread.

There was nothing personal in this thread:

http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...l=1#post102307

It was a irrefutable fact that Windsor parents were misled, where is the personal attack in my OP in the above thread. I got quite a few thanks for clarification from Windsor parents. It was just in time on the day of the challenge, unfortunately I could not go to the venue, however I believe it led to a clarifying announcement. However John was MIA in that thread and Vlad started a personal attack against me.

When guilty individuals don't have facts on their side they indulge in personal attacks to create distraction. I do find that Mahatma Gandhi's advice show your other cheek is not feasible when one gets slapped for second, third, fourth... umpteen times.

This one too: "If two people say you're drunk, go to bed"
                          Many times I have had only soft drinks and drunk people have told me "you are too drunk don't drive". Next time in a similar situation I will consider calling a cab instead of driving.
                          Last edited by Keerti Nyayachavadi; Saturday, 21st May, 2016, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I wasn't questioning the $75 per child. I just don't know how much did CFC receive from the organizers so I can answer the question:
                            The CFC received the contracted $150 per player except in the case of three siblings in a family in which case the $150 along with the entry was cut in half for the third sibling.

I'm assuming the difference came from the Youth fund.
                            A good assumption.
                            Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 22nd May, 2016, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Sorry Fritz, you lose. The thread's still alive and Godwin hasn't arrived.

Yet.

Steve

Comment

Anyone who attempts to use logic and/or facts with this guy is foolish.
                                Yup, that would be me.

But I do appreciate you calling me foolish rather than stupid, idiotic or a white supremecist. :-)

*That* would probably be crossing a line.

And I'm still curious about this deleted post of somebody named Frank which I allegedly quoted.

Sorry, gotta run, there's a cross-burning tonight and I don't want to be late :-)

Steve

P.S. Dammit, it was just fireworks and apparently my hood's in the wash.

Comment

Working...
                                X