Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 CYCC List of Players

Originally posted by Keerti Nyayachavadi View Post
    Are you implying that 2014 Montreal organizers's covered it from CYCC?

Are you sure if there is a deficit this year in Canadian open, it wont be covered from CYCC?
    The bottom line is that CFC is getting $150 per player and they're using this money for junior programs. I just assumed that in the past some of this money were used for "other" purposes.
    This should be reflected in the 2014, 2015 financial statements under Youth CC Program.

http://chess.ca/sites/default/files/april2015.pdf page 4
    http://chess.ca/sites/default/files/april2014.pdf page 4

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
      Wow, it took you a while to figure out this fact. Luckily in the last years the money were used toward WYCC, U16 Olympiad and the Junior fund and not to cover the organizer's deficit from the Canadian Open.
      Not just last year's tournament. The CFC's share has gone into a separate and accountable Youth fund for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
        Not just last year's tournament. The CFC's share has gone into a separate and accountable Youth fund for years.
        I could be wrong, but I believe the last time the juniors clearly subsidized the Open was Montreal 2002......you know, in the bad old days! Now there's a challenge for you old-timers......
        Fred Harvey

Comment

Thank you Fred but it will be nicer if we can see a more detailed statement for the Youth Fund (revenue from CYCC and how much is spent for WYCC, U16 Olympiad and other junior tournaments).
          A good idea is to use the leftover money to organize free training camps for the top juniors. But I'm assuming this is the CFC Youth Coordinator's job.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
            Thank you Fred but it will be nicer if we can see a more detailed statement for the Youth Fund (revenue from CYCC and how much is spent for WYCC, U16 Olympiad and other junior tournaments).
            A good idea is to use the leftover money to organize free training camps for the top juniors. But I'm assuming this is the CFC Youth Coordinator's job.
            You're right, we should provide a more detailed summary. I'll make sure that gets done for the 2016 AGM.

People (Voting Members) should push for a Youth-Coordinator that will have an Ad-Hoc committee to discuss issues with.

Comment

You're right, we should provide a more detailed summary. I'll make sure that gets done for the 2016 AGM.

People (Voting Members) should push for a Youth-Coordinator that will have an Ad-Hoc committee to discuss issues with.
              We need permanent Youth Committee to discuss issues with - like it was in 2010-2011.
              I'm pushing to have such Committee for a couple of years already.
              Unfortunately, with no success... :(

Fred,
              Could you please make sure that CFC Youth Committee election will be included in the 2016 AGM agenda?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Barron View Post
                We need permanent Youth Committee to discuss issues with - like it was in 2010-2011.
                I'm pushing to have such Committee for a couple of years already.
                Unfortunately, with no success... :(

Fred,
                Could you please make sure that CFC Youth Committee election will be included in the 2016 AGM agenda?

Thanks,
                Michael, as I understand it, the Youth Committee is not a formal permanent CFC committee, so I can't actually make sure of that.

I could see it being an election issue, though. We have someone from the Maritimes that would gladly serve.

Comment

Originally posted by Keerti Nyayachavadi View Post
                  It is the $150 that goes directly to CFC that is a priority. The plain fact is that CYCC is the cash cow for CFC. Last year - CYCC 2015, 25 players did not have regular ratings at all, however their active/semi-rapide ratings were used for pairings, unlike CYCC 2014 in Montreal where they were paired as unrated in alphabetical order in the end.

You bet most if not all of them are playing slow chess for the first time at CYCC. Many boards players try three moves not just in U8 but even in U14.
                  I'm the one that introduced the phrase "cash cow" into your vocabulary but I was referring to the CYCC being a cash cow for organizers, not the CFC itself. Fred Harvey is quite right about the scandal that was the 2002 CYCC where the entry fees were used to subsidize the Canadian Open being held by the same organizers.

It was/is tradition for the CYCC to be held the week before the Canadian Open and most organizers submit bids for both events. I don't think we're going to see any future bids for the Open without the bid also including the CYCC. I also think that any future bids for just the CYCC are going to be unsuccessful because the CFC will prefer to see both events held, not just one.

The CYCC is not a "cash cow" for the CFC. The CFC's share is used to fund the WYCC team or is put back into a separate fund for junior chess initiatives. It does not go into general revenues.

As for your gibberish about active/regular/USCF/BCF/CMA/KFC or other ratings being used, it's just that, gibberish. The sections at the CYCC aren't separated by *rating*; they are divided by *age*.

Steve

Comment

Michael, as I understand it, the Youth Committee is not a formal permanent CFC committee...
                    Fred,
                    Could you please clarify:
                    What should be done to make the Youth Committee a formal permanent CFC committee ?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                      ...As for your gibberish about active/regular/USCF/BCF/CMA/KFC or other ratings being used, it's just that, gibberish. The sections at the CYCC aren't separated by *rating*; they are divided by *age*.

Steve
                      I complained about the lack of standards with regards to entrants starting with the first version of this event almost 20 years ago. Nothing much has changed since.

Allowing literally anyone to play has little effect on most sections. Take the U18, or any of the girls' sections. Almost every contender will meet every other contender and the players in the bottom half of the rating list will have almost zero effect on the final standings.

But in sections like U8 to U14 this glut of non-contenders has a big negative impact on determining who will win because all of the main contenders will not have the chance to meet each other. Ideally tournaments should try to eliminate the random element with prizes, and expenses, this substantial, imo. It is ridiculous to be allowed to participate in a national championship when you have never played a slow game and the limit of your "strategy" is Scholar's Mate.
                      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Fred,
                        Could you please clarify:
                        What should be done to make the Youth Committee a formal permanent CFC committee ?
                        I would suggest you petition as many Voting Members as you can to request this on the Youth Co-ordinator's AGM report if there is no separate thread.

Comment

I'm the one that introduced the phrase "cash cow" into your vocabulary but I was referring to the CYCC being a cash cow for organizers, not the CFC itself.
                          ha ha thanks for sharing your copy right in a forum!!!

As for your gibberish about active/regular/USCF/BCF/CMA/KFC or other ratings being used, it's just that, gibberish. The sections at the CYCC aren't separated by *rating*; they are divided by *age*.Steve
                          Are you drunk? seriously. I never said that the the sections are separated by ratings? After dividing by age, starting rank in each section done by ratings are used for pairing. All with no regular/slow ratings but only active/semi-rapide ratings should be treated unrated and then sorted in alphabetical order - as was done in CYCC 2014 in Montreal. Not mixing up slow and active ratings for starting rank.

Comment

I would suggest you petition as many Voting Members as you can to request this on the Youth Co-ordinator's AGM report if there is no separate thread.
                            Fred,
                            Why should I petition many Voting Members?
                            Why can't I ask CFC Executives to include this in the AGM agenda?
                            Could you please support this?

Thanks,

Comment

Fred,
                              Why should I petition many Voting Members?
                              Why can't I ask CFC Executives to include this in the AGM agenda?
                              Could you please support this?

Thanks,
                              I'll discuss this with the other Directors.

Comment

I'll discuss this with the other Directors.
                                Thank you, Fred!

Comment

Working...
                                X