Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Agenda for CFC voting member meeting Fall 2016 November 20 to 27

Originally posted by Michael Lo View Post
    I am new to all of these, so teach me like a three year old. Could someone explain what is going on in the simplest way possible?

Ah-so grasshopper.....When the CFC can snatch payment of income taxes from the government's hand..... it will be time for them to receive ... (donations).

That's the short version. The long version.....

Organized chess is not a profitable enterprise. This is for 2 main reasons: first, because standard chess is a pure skill game. Pure skill games result in a pyramid structure in which the base must totally support the elite. And the second reason is that standard chess is a non-starter to those who are outside the pyramid. Therefore there are no paying spectators to chess events to spread the support for the enterprise as a whole. Organized chess is not hockey. There are no paying fans in the stands.

In order for organized chess enterprises (the CFC among them) to literally stay alive, they must resort to the most devious of tricks. Trying to be registered as a charity was one of those tricks for the CFC. It worked for a time. Supposedly the CFC was giving something to the community at large. Perhaps it was lessons in how to become anti-social and waste intellect on constant immersion in the full-time study of chess openings, middlegames and endgames. With the stipulation that all this study be in standard chess rules only -- anything else is utter blasphemy.

But the government of Canada, in its wisdom, recently denied this status to the CFC. So the CFC is now embarked on another devious set of tricks. Non-profit status. It's almost like an admission of failure: "We can't make a profit, so please don't tax us."

And the government of Canada is saying in response, "Ah ha.... you tried to pull the rug over us once, but now we're going to slap you with all these convoluted restrictions in order to be a non-profit. Good luck, losers!"

The CFC, desperate and submissive, does whatever the regulations specify.... as best it can.

But remember, no one is making money as organized chess simply cannot make money. Well, a few people like Vlad Drkulec make a few bucks teaching chess to kids, whose parents all think their little offspring is something special. Meanwhile the same Vlad Drkulec is as CFC President guiding the CFC more and more into kids chess events..... kind of reinforcing the idea of teaching chess to kids.... but at the same time turning chess more and more into a kids game.... while at the elite level of organized chess, run by corrupt self-serving thugs by the way, we see 90% draws and arguments about tiebreaks and deciding world championships with Armageddon games.... with no one even considering changes needed to the game of chess itself.... because that would be blasphemy..... but i digress.

So... a task such as modifying the CFC handbook to be regulation-compliant requires volunteers. Wait, you want to be PAID for doing that? What do you think the CFC is, a charity?!

And so we come full circle. No, the CFC is not a charity, and the government in its wisdom took that status away.... and so on and so on.

By the way.... I am an optimist. For a more accurate account, you should try and get a pessimist to describe the situation.
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Seriously, if you have nothing good to say about chess and also CFC, I think it's better to keep you mouth shut.

So sorry to have people like this around the chess circle

Comment

So what parts are legal with Not For Profit rules? Right now.
        Maybe you can inform the members so we can read what has been changed.
        Can someone list those parts here?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
          Having spoke with the CRA today for well an hour on this very crucial matter (to me anyways) they made it perfectly clear that it can be regained.
          Hi Neil. The CFC had it's Charitable status revoked as a result of a review by the Government, of charities under the existing act. It was deemed we did not meet one of the 6 criteria for being a charity. Les Bunning and I worked on an official rebuttal in an attempt to qualify as an Educational charity, but this was rejected - and we lost our status.

Since then we have been working towards being accepted into Sports Canada, which would allow us to issue tax receipts again. The application has now been filed and we are awaiting a judgement.

Our achievement in becoming a recognized NFP organization, allowed us to retain accumulated funds (ie Chess Foundation) - as they could have been in jeopardy, otherwise, under the new NFP act.

Neil, I'm sure Vlad would love to discuss with you your findings with CRA. Otherwise, you can keep them to yourself and use them as a platform for the 2017 Election of Directors.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
            Seriously, if you have nothing good to say about chess and also CFC, I think it's better to keep you mouth shut.

Gary. I think people have the right to bitch and complain about the CFC.

As a Director of the CFC, I have no problem in coming here and setting the record straight when valid complaints are aired or rubbish is posted. Certainly I give more weight to our members than the "lunatic fringe".

Comment

Peter McKillop has not approached me to ask for any help. What can I do to help?
              Paul Leblanc
              Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

[QUOTE=Fred McKim;109110]

Our achievement in becoming a recognized NFP organization, allowed us to retain accumulated funds (ie Chess Foundation) - as they could have been in jeopardy, otherwise, under the new NFP act.

/QUOTE]

Well at least we're forcing a debate on the whole complicated mess! I'm not sure I understand the risk above. Do you mean that the Foundation could have been retroactively taxed on the donations....?
                Fred Harvey

Comment

[QUOTE=fred harvey;109135]
                  Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

/QUOTE]

Well at least we're forcing a debate on the whole complicated mess! I'm not sure I understand the risk above. Do you mean that the Foundation could have been retroactively taxed on the donations....?
                  What is a problem with the NFP designation for the CFC? It was the NFP before as well. It had a charitable status. Now itworks to become a "sport organization" to have a similar feature.

Comment

Gary. I think people have the right to bitch and complain about the CFC.

As a Director of the CFC, I have no problem in coming here and setting the record straight when valid complaints are aired or rubbish is posted. Certainly I give more weight to our members than the "lunatic fringe".
                    If they are constructive criticism, they are most welcome. There are many issues not really right with CFC which I want to highlight and highlighted before. But to talk so much negativism about chess in general and attacking CFC President in such a way is such a shame.

If everyone has a more positive attitude towards chess and contribute to Chess in Canada, that will be awesome but somehow it is not. There are so many people being so negative about everything....

Just my view only

Comment

[QUOTE=Egidijus Zeromskis;109137]
                      Originally posted by fred harvey View Post

What is a problem with the NFP designation for the CFC? It was the NFP before as well. It had a charitable status. Now itworks to become a "sport organization" to have a similar feature.
                      We had charitable status at one time, but it was annulled by the Government of Canada.

Comment

/QUOTE]

Vlad was of the opinion that we could have been legally dissolved and lost our holdings.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                          Peter McKillop has not approached me to ask for any help. What can I do to help?
                          Just check in with Vlad. I'm sure he's aware you are maintaining those sections

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post

Gary, since you want to silence criticism, I have a suggestion for you: buy a one-way plane ticket to North Korea. There you will find out all the benefits of silencing criticism.

I criticize because there are things worth criticizing. You, Gary, want to pretend that all is well with chess and with the CFC. All is not well with chess: it is dying the slow death of a thousand cuts. It is run by unimaginative, narrow-minded people (or as Donald Trump would say, "stupid people").

Chess could be so much more, but the overlords will not let that happen. We just saw a World Championship where the organizer Agon tried to make a profit by having courts declare that the game moves are the property of Agon. That was not permitted, which means Agon lost a lot of money. What will Agon do for next World Championship? Perhaps there won't be one. Eventually all the failures of chess, including that and the dismal failure of Millionaire Chess, will accumulate to the point where no one will support chess any longer.

I don't hate chess, I love chess and I want it to grow so much bigger and better than it is. And there is a simple lesson that evolution teaches us about what to do when things are going badly: "adapt or perish".
                            Only the rushing is heard...
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                              All is not well with chess: it is dying the slow death of a thousand cuts. It is run by unimaginative, narrow-minded people (or as Donald Trump would say, "stupid people").
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PppgMNdRypA

Comment

/QUOTE]

No. If we had not become NFP compliant and continued as a not for profit corporation then the CFC would have been wound down. Assets would have to be sold and bank accounts liquidated. In the original CFC constitution this would have resulted in the funds in the foundation and the proceeds of asset sales being donated to charity or turned over to the government. It wouldn't have been an issue of paying taxes, it would have been an issue of shutting down with the last one out the door turning off the lights and ceasing operations. We probably would have had to pay Bob Gillanders and John Upper a half year of salary as well as whatever outstanding debts there are and folded the tent.

Comment

Working...
                                X