X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: US Elections

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Vlad:

Want to comment on the new Republican Party Chief Strategist, Steve Bannon, owner of Breitbart News Network?

Bob A
    And let us not even bother commenting on the possibility of Rudy Guiliani (spelling?) as Attorney-General. Trump seems to be surrounding himself with idiots and I am not just referring to his family. May as well appoint Ivanka as ambassador to wherever too. What a gong show (and it has barely started!)

Edit: my mistake, Giuliani is being touted as Sec of State not A.G. In any case, I think he is a poor choice for anything with his simplistic views (eg: when he pointed out that poor people could take advantage of the same tax loophole that Trump used to declare a real estate loss to carry forward... right-the poor should get right on that.
    Last edited by Kerry Liles; Tuesday, 15th November, 2016, 09:51 PM. Reason: clarification
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hi Vlad:

Want to comment on the new Republican Party Chief Strategist, Steve Bannon, owner of Breitbart News Network?

Bob A
      A brilliant pick, going home with someone who brought you to the dance. I understand that the left would seek to drive wedges between Trump and his most effective advisors. Divide and conquer. I reject the mainstream media attempts to paint Breitbart as something it was not. Even if it was something it was not it does not mean Bannon was responsible for every headline and article.

I visited Breitbart from time to time and have seen no white supremacist or anti-Semitic content. One of the allegedly anti-Semitic articles (actually a headline) was written by a Jewish person about another Jewish person. The headline might have been in poor taste. When I visited Breitbart, I saw a right wing website which seemed to support Israel and was not very nice to the Democrats or AGW which is fine by me. If a website is anti-Semitic wouldn't it be anti-Israel as well? If I had seen a hint of that I would have rejected Breitbart as I have a number of other websites over the years.

Beyond admiring Donald Trump's powers of persuasion and calling the election result after watching the first debate I was not a Trump supporter though I did see Trump as the lesser of two evils. I have read most of Trump's books mostly over a decade ago. I found his books useful. I think he and Barack Obama use some very powerful persuasion techniques which interest me and have interested me since my undergraduate days in my various sociology, business and psychology classes. Of course I continued to study these things outside of classes and it interested me when I read Scott Adams writings about how the Donald was using persuasion techniques in his campaign. I watched the first debate which many said ended in a Trump loss but I saw it a bit differently and so apparently did many of the voters.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        And let us not even bother commenting on the possibility of Rudy Guiliani (spelling?) as Attorney-General. Trump seems to be surrounding himself with idiots and I am not just referring to his family. May as well appoint Ivanka as ambassador to wherever too. What a gong show (and it has barely started!)
        I think he is more likely as secretary of state. I did cancel my subscription to one newsletter because an anti-Rudy Guilliani article. Not sure why you have such antipathy towards the former NY mayor.

We can say that at least one chess playing Nazi supports Trump.

http://heatst.com/world/us-chess-cha...out-for-trump/

If all these people are idiots how is it that they were able to outmaneuver the sooper geniuses (TM) of the Hillary campaign and the DNC?
        Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 15th November, 2016, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          A brilliant pick, going home with someone who brought you to the dance. I understand that the left would seek to drive wedges between Trump and his most effective advisors. Divide and conquer. I reject the mainstream media attempts to paint Breitbart as something it was not. Even if it was something it was not it does not mean Bannon was responsible for every headline and article.

I visited Breitbart from time to time and have seen no white supremacist or anti-Semitic content. One of the allegedly anti-Semitic articles (actually a headline) was written by a Jewish person about another Jewish person. The headline might have been in poor taste. When I visited Breitbart, I saw a right wing website which seemed to support Israel and was not very nice to the Democrats or AGW which is fine by me. If a website is anti-Semitic wouldn't it be anti-Israel as well? If I had seen a hint of that I would have rejected Breitbart as I have a number of other websites over the years.

Beyond admiring Donald Trump's powers of persuasion and calling the election result after watching the first debate I was not a Trump supporter though I did see Trump as the lesser of two evils. I have read most of Trump's books mostly over a decade ago. I found his books useful. I think he and Barack Obama use some very powerful persuasion techniques which interest me and have interested me since my undergraduate days in my various sociology, business and psychology classes. Of course I continued to study these things outside of classes and it interested me when I read Scott Adams writings about how the Donald was using persuasion techniques in his campaign. I watched the first debate which many said ended in a Trump loss but I saw it a bit differently and so apparently did many of the voters.
          Furthermore, if Liberals detest Trump's picks, I know he has done the correct thing!! They are afraid of what those picks can do to further Conservatism. It would worry me if they liked any of Trump's picks, unlikely as that would be!

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
            Furthermore, if Liberals detest Trump's picks, I know he has done the correct thing!! They are afraid of what those picks can do to further Conservatism. It would worry me if they liked any of Trump's picks, unlikely as that would be!
            Yes indeed. I think the next four years will see the media sliding further into irrelevancy. It is not surprising that they found Hillary more appealing as she and her PACs spent billions in advertising with the media and they still lost to a campaign that spent only a fraction of that but relied on non-traditional media to get their message out.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
              A brilliant pick...
              Hi Vlad:

A not-so-nice profile of Bannon and Breitbart News Network : The Guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ion?CMP=twt_gu

Bob A

Comment

Hi Vlad:

A not-so-nice profile of Bannon and Breitbart News Network : The Guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ion?CMP=twt_gu

Bob A
                Before attaching any importance to this quote, I would have to see whether the paper is left or right in its politics. Or even the author of the quote.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                  Before attaching any importance to this quote, I would have to see whether the paper is left or right in its politics. Or even the author of the quote.
                  Hi Ken:

Most of my friends check other media against the Guardian, to verify the content. So it seems it is pretty reliable. But, at the same time, I believe it is also considered centre-left........but the perspective does not get in the way of accuracy, as I hear it. Anyone know if it is considered centrist, or, centre-left?

Bob A

Comment

Hi Ken:

Most of my friends check other media against the Guardian, to verify the content. So it seems it is pretty reliable. But, at the same time, I believe it is also considered centre-left........but the perspective does not get in the way of accuracy, as I hear it. Anyone know if it is considered centrist, or, centre-left?

Bob A
                    I only said that because so many on this website used to say, "Oh, consider the website!" when anyone quoted Fox News or Breitbart.

Something like the NYT? :)
                    Last edited by Ken MacDonald; Tuesday, 15th November, 2016, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                      I have been looking for an update on the popular vote results.
                      Most sites show numbers for Clinton and Trump only. I want to see totals for all condidates.
                      I found a site a few days ago, but I can't locate it now.

If anyone can find it, please post a link here. Much appreciate it.
                      What, nobody can find votes cast for third party candidates?
                      Thanks to Peter and Ken for trying.
                      Peter found a site with detailed information, exactly what I want, all candidates, but only for past elections.
                      I realize they are still counting votes, but surely the tentative info can be found somewhere?

Ken offered two sites, but the info was not there. And it was quite an effort to cut thru the propaganda and then not find anything.

I am looking for a "neutral site" with the truth.
                      The internet is vast, "the truth is out there", isn't it?
                      Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 15th November, 2016, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                        I am looking for a "neutral site" with the truth.
                        The internet is vast, "the truth is out there", isn't it?
                        As Gordon Ritchie pretty much put it to me, how does one tell what on the internet is not worthless? Or as GM John Nunn put it in Secrets of Practical Chess in 1998, "The Internet is wonderful for e-mail, news and specific enquiries for which you can use a search engine. Otherwise it strikes me as being a great time-waster."

Marginally related link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_(2015_film)
                        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Tuesday, 15th November, 2016, 08:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
                        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6s7jB6-GoU - on the Electoral College

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...lection-231434 - article about most recent vote totals

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...le=true#gid=19 - link from the article to spreadsheet of most recent vote totals
                          Last edited by Tom O'Donnell; Tuesday, 15th November, 2016, 06:27 PM.
                          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                            Interesting. My own view is that the Problem of Evil arguments cannot be refuted. I think they are sound and I think they hold up. Therefore in my view, if there is a God (and I am agnostic on the subject) He/She cannot be all-good, all-knowing and all powerful.
                            If I recall correctly from my college days, I thought then the Problem of Evil is largely related to the apparent incompatibility between determinism and free will. IMHO it all boils down to how one defines free will, and modest man should never really be confident that he has defined this properly. Again IMHO, it's part of one's faith to believe they are compatible after all, even if we don't see how. Anyone who has had an experience of the Divine, specifically a prophet, knows that they should indeed somehow be compatible, for awe-inspiring determinism has been demonstrated to them as actually occuring in practice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibilism
                            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Tuesday, 15th November, 2016, 07:59 PM. Reason: Adding links

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                              If I recall correctly from my college days, I thought then the Problem of Evil is largely related to the apparent incompatibility between determinism and free will. IMHO it all boils down to how one defines free will, and modest man should never really be confident that he has defined this properly. Again IMHO, it's part of one's faith to believe they are compatible after all, even if we don't see how. Anyone who has had an experience of the Divine, specifically a prophet, knows that they should indeed somehow be compatible, for awe-inspiring determinism has been demonstrated to them as actually occuring in practice.
                              That is my understanding as well, Kevin.

One of the arguments presented by those who wish to argue for the existence of a God who is all-knowing, all-powerful and all-loving is to suggest that evil exists as a result of bad free choices that humans make, which choices have nothing to do with God since He/She gave us a free will and a moral understanding. But then those on the other side of the argument might ask questions such as, if we are free to make a choice then to this extent at least is God not all-powerful? Or, if God knows in advance which choice I will make, then does this not mean that I am not free to make a different choice, therefore the choices are apparent but actually determined, and that I am not free as a result?

This is one of the great and eternal philosophical questions, and no one has the answer. My personal opinion on this question is that we need to lessen our definition of God to a God that is not all-knowing, all-loving and all-powerful. God can be very close to this perhaps, and also as I have suggested perhaps God will someday reach this state of perfection.

Then the lion will lie down with the lamb, no more tears or suffering, a return to The Garden of Eden. But maybe we need to help God to get there. Perhaps this is why we were all created in the first place. Maybe over Historical time the process of God's self-awareness increases until there is finally a full self-realization. Now, if all is One, not only metaphorically but in reality, and if the One is mind, then strictly speaking ONLY God exists. This is in fact my own personal philosophical opinion. The One substance is God, and God is all there is, and we are all One with God. And we need to evolve together in a positive direction.

Comment

Fwiw, if you're curious, here's a link to a CFC blog entry of mine, re: my own religious beliefs & experiences:

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/en...s-experiences)

Comment

Working...
                                X