X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Coleman
    replied
    Re: Knightfall Chess Association??

I see on their ad that the discounted entry fee is for entries before February 8th - today. I wonder how many entries they have.

Leave a comment:

• Tom O'Donnell
    replied

Originally posted by Rahul Gangolli View Post
    So I actually went up to Suite 5700 and there is no signage on the door. It just says Suite 5700 and it appears the suite is occupied by several groups of people (there is no distinct tenant it appears). There were people sitting in cubicles and other people who looked like they were waiting for a job interview. I asked the receptionist if there was a Knightfall Chess Association at the location. She said yes but there was no one around for me to speak to. She asked me for my contact information and I gave her my name and phone number. That was it. So we will see what happens.....

The other curious point is the location of this tournament: St. George Campus (UofT). That campus has several different buildings....so its not the most exact location....unless I am missing something...
    Thanks for taking the initiative and doing this.

Leave a comment:

• Ken MacDonald
    replied

Perhaps this is just someone organizing a tournament for the first time (hence the opaque information) but I've never come across this before where a tournament venue is chosen thats as vague as this (St. George Campus...ok but where exactly on the 'campus'?) and where the contact details appear inconveniently offered....you would think with less than a month before this tournament stuff like this would get ironed out...

Anyways...good luck to the organizer and those who end up going ....at least there's free pizza.
    Or, perhaps it is a scam??? Or a joke on the readers and the CFC???

Ask yourself, "Would you be sending cash to this event at this point?"

Leave a comment:

• Rahul Gangolli
    replied

Perhaps this is just someone organizing a tournament for the first time (hence the opaque information) but I've never come across this before where a tournament venue is chosen thats as vague as this (St. George Campus...ok but where exactly on the 'campus'?) and where the contact details appear inconveniently offered....you would think with less than a month before this tournament stuff like this would get ironed out...

Anyways...good luck to the organizer and those who end up going ....at least there's free pizza.

Leave a comment:

• Mathieu Cloutier
    replied

So it's an elaborated version of the Nigera 419 scam? I'd give them credit for originality.

Leave a comment:

• Rahul Gangolli
    replied

So I actually went up to Suite 5700 and there is no signage on the door. It just says Suite 5700 and it appears the suite is occupied by several groups of people (there is no distinct tenant it appears). There were people sitting in cubicles and other people who looked like they were waiting for a job interview. I asked the receptionist if there was a Knightfall Chess Association at the location. She said yes but there was no one around for me to speak to. She asked me for my contact information and I gave her my name and phone number. That was it. So we will see what happens.....

The other curious point is the location of this tournament: St. George Campus (UofT). That campus has several different buildings....so its not the most exact location....unless I am missing something...

Leave a comment:

• John Coleman
    replied

From the tournament FAQ "The tournament director in charge of the Bobby Fischer Memorial Open is Abdi Hassan".

Not that that helps much... who is Abdi Hassan? Is the same guy who is president of the Somali Chess Federation?

Leave a comment:

• Egidijus Zeromskis
    replied

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
    Suspicious? Maybe the guys just want to play some chess?
    Look at this: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-events/city-o...pen/1233132035

With that price fund people should be not the first time organizers, and more or less known at the Toronto chess scene, and they would announce it here not at kijiji LOL

Leave a comment:

• Mathieu Cloutier
    replied

Bunch of nerds hunting down another bunch of nerds!

What could possibly go wrong? :p

Leave a comment:

• Rahul Gangolli
    replied

I am going to go on my lunch hour and check it out. BMO and a lot of law offices in this building so its hard to imagine this being anything nefarious. That being said, its odd that there are no names on their website.

Leave a comment:

• Mathieu Cloutier
    replied

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Please do it. I've seen their add in (kijiji?) first time. It looked suspicious to me.
    Suspicious? Maybe the guys just want to play some chess?

Leave a comment:

• Egidijus Zeromskis
    replied

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    Looks like those Russian clocks from the 70s. Possibly not a current photo...and possibly not of their players. Does anyone recognize any of them?
    It's a stock picture, and a video indeed. Chess pieces are a Russian grandmaster style, and probably nobody is producing them anymore.
    https://www.shutterstock.com/video/c...PXhW5Q:1:76/gg

Leave a comment:

• Egidijus Zeromskis
    replied

Bob,
    I work in this building (100 King Street West)...I can go check them out if you want...
    Please do it. I've seen their add in (kijiji?) first time. It looked suspicious to me.
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Wednesday, 8th February, 2017, 10:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Francis Rodriguez
    replied

NightFall:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=nightfall

Leave a comment:

• Mathieu Cloutier
    replied

Good. Very good. We managed to track them down and decided that no further action was necessary.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X