Resolution of appeal to NAC on the matter of Canadian Closed playoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: Resolution of appeal to NAC on the matter of Canadian Closed playoff

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Isn't the New York Post somewhat sympathetic to Trump? Anyway, if they can't even get her name correct.

They did do another story: Donald Trump Jr. is an idiot. Actually I think the attempt was to paint Trump as just stupid, rather than corrupt.
    The best quote from this article is: "Don Jr. is why Nigerian email scammers keep trying their luck."
    The Defense Of Donald Trump Jr Reeks Of White Male Privilege

The Post’s framing became the go-to strategy for the growing Russia scandal among the pro-Trump media now that — thanks to Don Jr.’s self-released emails — campaign coordination could no longer be outright denied as “fake news.” Don Jr. never should have been working on the campaign at all. He didn’t understand what he did was wrong. He’s new to politics. Come on, he’s just a kid. He was just an idiot.

In direct contrast to conservatives’ interpretation of Jr.’s behavior is the vilification of Hillary Clinton, particularly with regard to her private email server. It doesn’t matter that other secretaries of State shared her system, or that an FBI review cleared her of wrongdoing; according to adversaries, Clinton’s use of a private server wasn’t just careless, but sinister and calculated. It was part of her master plan to hide things from the American people. They brand her with the longstanding cultural stereotype of women, especially exceptional women, as cunning and manipulative. Women carry not only their own faults but the faults that have been projected on women for centuries.

Meanwhile, a 12-year-old boy like Tamir Rice, actually innocent of any wrongdoing, was painted as a thug and a threat — a man, not a kid. Black children become men the moment a white person claims to be scared of them.
    And this is why anyone who supports Trump is a sexist and a racist, not to mention a homophobe and a transphobe. When someone is the living embodiment of inequality and you still choose to support him, citing conspiracy theories about the Clinton family (Belzberg) or a literal belief (in 2017!) that liberalism is the work of the Devil (Drkulec) as your justifications, you are cheering on the continued blatant oppression of hundreds of millions in the name of fucking fairy tales.

Conservatism will go down in history as a plague--hopefully one that dies out in my lifetime.
    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Resolution of appeal to NAC on the matter of Canadian Closed playoff

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
      The Defense Of Donald Trump Jr Reeks Of White Male Privilege

And this is why anyone who supports Trump is a sexist and a racist, not to mention a homophobe and a transphobe. When someone is the living embodiment of inequality and you still choose to support him, citing conspiracy theories about the Clinton family (Belzberg) or a literal belief (in 2017!) that liberalism is the work of the Devil (Drkulec) as your justifications, you are cheering on the continued blatant oppression of hundreds of millions in the name of fucking fairy tales.

Conservatism will go down in history as a plague--hopefully one that dies out in my lifetime.
      RIGHT ON !!! Here is something from 1988 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y5-jhDBV2w
      Last edited by Larry Castle; Friday, 14th July, 2017, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Lying Ben Daswani the internet troll wrote something but I don't know what. I'm sure it was stupid. Everyone loved Trump when he was giving the Democrats money.

Comment

Re: Resolution of appeal to NAC on the matter of Canadian Closed playoff

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          One more funny moment - the arbiter tried to stop the clock - and he failed. Bator stopped the clock.... However he did not ask for any assistance from the arbiter LOL
          Now we can image that NN who was probably on higher level of stress and would fail to stop the clock too, and would forfeit on time.
          I missed that moment. Chess players don't like to stop the clocks. In English, "he stopped the clocks" was a rare substitute for "he resigned", but in Russian, it was a lot more common, восстановили часы or something like that. Later, the FIDE Rules Commission was asked by a National Federation to rule on whether stopping the clocks was the same as resigning. That was decades ago, but players learn from older players they admire, recursively. With a digital clock, there's more uncertainty, such as which button or button-combination stops the clock? If it's as simple as pressing the middle button, then next month we'll be dealing with a case where a player stopped the clock while the opponent was away from the board for a predictable break. If you press the middle button, but not hard enough, then we see above what can happen. If you press the middle button but too hard, perhaps you reset the clock to all zeros.

Completely unrelated, I find that chesstalk is logging me out after a few minutes so I need to log in twice to post. Is this a subtle message from the administrators? Before, it seemed like I was logged in for months. In other words, after being away for months, I could bring up the chesstalk tab and would never have to reset the thread format from my favourite, which is not the default.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
            Chess players don't like to stop the clocks. In English, "he stopped the clocks" was a rare substitute for "he resigned", but in Russian, it was a lot more common, восстановили часы or something like that. Later, the FIDE Rules Commission was asked by a National Federation to rule on whether stopping the clocks was the same as resigning. That was decades ago, but players learn from older players they admire, recursively.
            Jonathan, this is a very astute observation. As someone who took part in the events that were the basis for this discussion in general, I did not and will not comment publicly on the core matters. However, the present thread was already hijacked by a political discussion on its last pages :), so I feel it is not inappropriate to say a few words very narrowly, only about your specific comment above.

You are absolutely right. In Russian, "остановил часы" is an euphemism for "resigned", and several titans of 1950-s never said "Сдаюсь" ("I resign") during their whole chess careers, they simply stopped their clocks. Exactly as you are writing, it is something that younger players learned from older ones, and not simply "by osmosis", no! It was _actively taught_, certainly to anyone who was ever selected for the famous Botvinnik School / Karpov School / Kasparov School, or for the "White Rook" national competitions that involved thousands of school-age players every year, to _never touch the clock in any situation_ because stopping the clock is equivalent to resigning.

Comment

Completely unrelated, I find that chesstalk is logging me out after a few minutes so I need to log in twice to post. Is this a subtle message from the administrators? Before, it seemed like I was logged in for months. In other words, after being away for months, I could bring up the chesstalk tab and would never have to reset the thread format from my favourite, which is not the default.
              This behaviour has been true for me for years. I have learned for any longish post to copy the text before hitting "Submit Reply" as it often gets lost in the request to log on again.

I haven't experienced the perma- log in but then I only log on to post and log off immediately. Don't like to be tracked :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                This behaviour has been true for me for years. I have learned for any longish post to copy the text before hitting "Submit Reply" as it often gets lost in the request to log on again.

I haven't experienced the perma- log in but then I only log on to post and log off immediately. Don't like to be tracked :-)
                Aha! I think I've found the issue. If I don't check "Remember me", I'm logged out after a few minutes. If I check "Remember me" ... on a clear day you can see forever. Silly me, I thought "Remember me" boxes were for the browser to remember your login name and possibly also your password. Thanks Roger!

Comment

Aha! I think I've found the issue. If I don't check "Remember me", I'm logged out after a few minutes. If I check "Remember me" ... on a clear day you can see forever. Silly me, I thought "Remember me" boxes were for the browser to remember your login name and possibly also your password. Thanks Roger!
                  Holy cow, and you guys can play chess?
                  Fred Harvey

Comment

Working...
                  X