Here's Hoping They Don't Break Chess Next...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's Hoping They Don't Break Chess Next...

Tl;dw - A new program called AlphaGo Zero needed 3ish days to train itself to become the strongest Go program in the world. Pretty sure chess is on a similar level of complexity as Go... yikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXlM99xPQC8

Re: Here's Hoping They Don't Break Chess Next...

Here's Hoping They Don't Break Chess Next..

October 25, 2017

AlphaGo Zero was discussed in a forum thread earlier this month at:

http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...l=1#post118781

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Nicholson View Post
      Tl;dw - A new program called AlphaGo Zero needed 3ish days to train itself to become the strongest Go program in the world. Pretty sure chess is on a similar level of complexity as Go... yikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXlM99xPQC8
      I believe you will find that GO is considerably more complex than chess which makes the achievement even more remarkable.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Could the method used for AlphaGo Zero be used to come up with a program that could beat Komodo, Houdini, etc in the same amount of time and effort?

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
          Could the method used for AlphaGo Zero be used to come up with a program that could beat Komodo, Houdini, etc in the same amount of time and effort?
          That's what's so scary! Imagine finding out three days from now that chess is effectively solved!

Comment

That's what's so scary! Imagine finding out three days from now that chess is effectively solved!
            Yep... And within the other three days, AlphaGo Zero will set its sights on us, humans. As the article referred to in the precious thread informs rather casually,
            Machine-learning research from Google and others has also shown promise for extracting more ad dollars from consumers.
            - the word "ad" will be stricken from there soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
              Yep... And within the other three days, AlphaGo Zero will set its sights on us, humans. As the article referred to in the precious thread informs rather casually, - the word "ad" will be stricken from there soon.
              This was predicted (I'm sure in other places as well) in the Ender's Game universe where an AI takes over managing Ender's money and almost immediately does a better job of it than the humans could have just by examining past behaviour...
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                I believe you will find that GO is considerably more complex than chess which makes the achievement even more remarkable.
                "Considerably" is an understatement, and a really big understatement. "Vastly more complex" would be perhaps slightly more accurate.

Comment

Not going to happen anytime soon. Computers will be many orders of magnitude better than humans at either game long before either is "solved". To merely *record* a solution to chess, the less complex of the two games, would require the use of every atom in the visible universe if we reach the point where each atom can store one bit, which we are not even remotely close to at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                    Not going to happen anytime soon. Computers will be many orders of magnitude better than humans at either game long before either is "solved". To merely *record* a solution to chess, the less complex of the two games, would require the use of every atom in the visible universe if we reach the point where each atom can store one bit, which we are not even remotely close to at the moment.
                    Effectively = actually but not officially or explicitly

Comment

Effectively = actually but not officially or explicitly
                      Weasel words don't change the facts. Chess will not be "effectively" solved, even in your (incorrect) sense until no one can write a computer program or create hardware that beats the previous best. Using words in the same (silly) way you do I can say that motorcycles "effectively" run at infinite velocity.

Comment

Even if chess were completely solved someday it wouldn't change much for humans. Not like we would be able to understand or memorize the precise series of moves in all variations that guarantee the win/draw.

I think what could be interesting is to see how long it would take for a computer programmed only with the most basic rules, and playing only games vs itself, to discover many mainline openings, and the order in which it would discover them.
                        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Weasel words don't change the facts. Chess will not be "effectively" solved, even in your (incorrect) sense until no one can write a computer program or create hardware that beats the previous best. Using words in the same (silly) way you do I can say that motorcycles "effectively" run at infinite velocity.
                          Lol "Weasel words" aka Adverbs.

Anyway... Chess basically can't be mathematically solved, but if a computer were to be developed that could beat every other computer on a consistent basis while drawing against an identical version of itself 100% of the time, we've "effectively" solved the game.

I know insulting people is a past time for many chesstalkers, but I'm making a good point here. Computers are already taking some of the 'magic' out of chess, but a self learning AI that supersedes any existing calculation based software would be a huge blow.

Comment

Lol "Weasel words" aka Adverbs.
                            Nope, merely an accurate description of what you wrote. Look up the definition.

Anyway... Chess basically can't be mathematically solved
                            Actually it's easy to write a mathematical function that will solve chess. In practice the solution will take about forever to complete, but that's a practical difficulty, not a mathematical one. Chess is mathematically solvable and the mathematical solution is known. The rest is a boring practical problem that isn't of interest to mathematicians.

but if a computer were to be developed that could beat every other computer on a consistent basis while drawing against an identical version of itself 100% of the time, we've "effectively" solved the game.
                            But there is no evidence that this will ever happen. Even if it did it's easy to write a program that will always draw with itself so that last criterion is beside the point.

I know insulting people is a past time for many chesstalkers
                            I didn't insult you, if anything I "insulted" your use of language, but your use of language is not "you".

but I'm making a good point here.
                            Calling it a good point doesn't make it one. I think you used sloppy and confusing language to make vague and content-less "point" myself. I don't know if that's a normal thing for you.

Computers are already taking some of the 'magic' out of chess
                            For who? Not for me. And computers have made it possible for more people to take part in competitive chess than ever before. Computers run the internet, have you noticed?

but a self learning AI that supersedes any existing calculation based software would be a huge blow.
                            Yeah, in just the same way that motorcycles have resulted in all human foot races dying out because they are pointless. Oh.

Comment

Actually it's easy to write a mathematical function that will solve chess. In practice the solution will take about forever to complete, but that's a practical difficulty, not a mathematical one. Chess is mathematically solvable and the mathematical solution is known. The rest is a boring practical problem that isn't of interest to mathematicians.
                              Yeah, sure. But when your 'practical difficulty' becomes something theoretically impossible, I say you have kind of a problem... mathematical or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X