eBay Item from Peter Stockhausen's Family??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay Item from Peter Stockhausen's Family??

Item # 260449913398. (Or search under books using words "chess stockhausen")

If this true, I am shocked. One wants to hope it is a cruel joke, but......

Re: eBay Item from Peter Stockhausen's Family??

Remarkable. I didn't even know he was missing, but for his family to sell his chess collection seems ... I dunno, a bit premature. Did they get rid of his clothes, too?

Comment

Are you sure that this really refers to former CFC president Peter Stockhausen ? I checked Google and find the picture of another Peter Stockhausen. Why do you think that he is missing?

Phil Haley

Comment

I read a news item about a Peter Stockhausen, hotel manager, 60, missing for two months. Gotta be the same guy.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Mo...457/story.html

Comment

Judging by the reference to the Keres tournament in his wife's text on ebay, it's the same person.

Comment

I was fiddling around as a guest on the MonRoi site during the Canadian Open (I don't know exactly, but it might have been as recently as Thursday) and found somebody named "Stockhausen" logged on to the Chat (> live games > chat). I didn't attempt to communicate with him. (Had I known, I would have tried!). Trying to log in to the chat right now, I see they've shut it down "We disabled chat, so that you can enjoy live matches without interruptions. We will be reactivating it after the live webcast." which is ironic because the event is over.

I don't have any log or screen capture, just my recollection. The "Stockhausen" login could have been leftover from months ago, I don't know. There was no cache issue from my side, because I had never before looked in on MonRoi chat. The entity is not necessarily Peter Stockhausen, could be a fan of Karlheinz, or unrelated.

Peter always came across to me as a "realist". He's just about the last person I'd expect to "give up" after some work-related reverse, as related in the auction blurb.

I found that this link to the ebay auction would work in Firefox. A lot of whitespace in Opera.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260449913398

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
              I was fiddling around as a guest on the MonRoi site during the Canadian Open (I don't know exactly, but it might have been as recently as Thursday) and found somebody named "Stockhausen" logged on to the Chat (> live games > chat). I didn't attempt to communicate with him. (Had I known, I would have tried!). Trying to log in to the chat right now, I see they've shut it down "We disabled chat, so that you can enjoy live matches without interruptions. We will be reactivating it after the live webcast." which is ironic because the event is over.

I don't have any log or screen capture, just my recollection. The "Stockhausen" login could have been leftover from months ago, I don't know. There was no cache issue from my side, because I had never before looked in on MonRoi chat. The entity is not necessarily Peter Stockhausen, could be a fan of Karlheinz, or unrelated.

Peter always came across to me as a "realist". He's just about the last person I'd expect to "give up" after some work-related reverse, as related in the auction blurb.

I found that this link to the ebay auction would work in Firefox. A lot of whitespace in Opera.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260449913398
              Jonathan, that seems significant enough to communicate to the police - don't you think? If there is uncertainty over his fate, that would be an important piece of information.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                I read a news item about a Peter Stockhausen, hotel manager, 60, missing for two months. Gotta be the same guy.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Mo...457/story.html
                similar text including the picture
                http://www.660news.com/news/local/mo...26_164134_5312

Comment

Carefully read the text under the E-Bay offering of his 109 books for sale. Sounds very fishy to me, especially that the wife is writing it in the 3rd person and citing "dire straits" as a reason for having to sell his books. The mere fact that the minimum bid is $7000 makes me wonder if it is someone else who is trying to profit off the poor family's circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike O'Connor View Post
                    Carefully read the text under the E-Bay offering of his 109 books for sale. Sounds very fishy to me, especially that the wife is writing it in the 3rd person and citing "dire straits" as a reason for having to sell his books. The mere fact that the minimum bid is $7000 makes me wonder if it is someone else who is trying to profit off the poor family's circumstances.
                    I think Mike has it exactly. It wouldn't take much for a scammer to find out that Peter was CFC president & come up with this scam. I don't think there's any other realistic explanation.

Comment

eBay Item from Peter Stockhausen's Family

Fellow collector and friend, WK, in Toronto first brought this eBay offering to my attention. He also wonders about the authenticity because of the price which will never, not even close, elicit a bid. Last night I asked for a list of the books in this collection, not only the listed item, and have yet to receive a response.

I had corresponded with Peter awhile back regarding his collection because I had been told that he was a "Canadian Chess Publication" collector. He did mention hotel management in his correspondence. That was 2-3 years ago.

Comment

Re: eBay Item from Peter Stockhausen's Family

If the eBay listing is a joke and if Peter has indeed been missing for almost two months, then the joke is a very cruel one. Peter allegedly goes missing at around the same time that everyone's favourite GM starts posting this kind of stuff on his blog:

"Of corrupt presidents and CFC charlatans. Of decisions taken in the back room ,out of public view; of the abuse of trust of the Canadian Chess Community; of Peter Stockhausen and the flagrant manipulation of self-interests."

If I remember correctly, Peter seemed to take it quite hard when this GM attacked him a few years ago with a 50-something page "report." Hopefully the threat of a new verbal assault wasn't destabilizing. This same GM comments on the eBay listing in his blog today. His concern for his former friend's well-being is touching.
                        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Since nobody had anything to add to my MonRoi observation, I've sent an email to monroi asking for clarification. I think that going to the police with the MonRoi observation (if that is what Neil meant; he quoted the entire posting) would be premature, a waste of their valuable time.

The technique of advertising the Stockhausen plight by putting something up on ebay seems to be an effective one, judging from my inbox this morning. The price may be unrealistic. That is no evidence of a scam. Also, in the case that he might have decided to disappear himself (in which case he might still be following chessy things in an anonymous way), such an ad may be designed to get him to "snap out of it". You know, "come home, or there won't be a home (as you knew it) to come home to."

Comment

If one clicks on the Member's List for the CFC Discussion Board and selects the letter 'P' it will show that Peter Stockhausen (or else someone else using his account) last visted TODAY.

On chesstalk I checked the member's list in a similar fashion, but it showed his last visit here was in March.
                            Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                            Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Jonathan, on the basis of what you wrote, I did think you should go to the police. They will decide if it's a waste of time or not.

If a member of my family was missing, especially for 2 months, I would certainly want someone to step forward if they thought they had seen even an internet sign of his being alive.

Comment

Working...
                              X