eBay Item from Peter Stockhausen's Family??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: eBay Item from Peter Stockhausen's Family??

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
    Since nobody had anything to add to my MonRoi observation, I've sent an email to monroi asking for clarification.
    MonRoi responded quickly. Peter Stockhausen, or somebody using his account and knowing his password, most recently logged on today. It might be possible to ascertain the IP address and consequently the physical location, by examining logs.

It seems to me that if he is kidnapped, or amnesiac, or dead, then the further information that could be resolved from this will not move the case forward. So I will not be contacting the RCMP in this regard.

It follows from the above--but it doesn't hurt to state it explicitly--that if P.S. has decided to disappear, I don't think it is right for me to hunt him down. Whatever the reason for the disappearance, he himself would know best if and when he should return. I am not a buddy of his, the question is one of respect.

Thank you all.

Comment

Peter Stockhausen's Chess Collection

I have received a list of the eBay item and a picture of much more stuff, showing many bound volumes of chess periodicals.

Alas, the valuation method is way off.

Comment

Re: Peter Stockhausen's Chess Collection

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry
        Another good reason not to have contacted the police with IP info. On American TV, that would have resulted in a SWAT team invading her house. Oops. In Canada, we have different methods....
        I'm not sure in this case if its helpful to denigrate the police.

If he's disappeared on his own volition then there is no reason legally why he can't. There would be recourse under family law for support issues.

The other legal question here would be if the person selling his collection has the legal right of ownership to do so. That would be a concern to anyone paying for these items.

If he's disappeared involuntarily then there is reason to find him.

In my time as a part time civilian with the Hamilton police I took a number of misisng persons reports, a full investigation is usually done if there are unusual circumstances to suspect something. In one case I did run it by our sergeant who agreed that we should send out constables right away to investigate based on circumstances relayed to me. That person was found some months later. In Canada many people step out 'to buy some milk' and never come back on purpose. The police do not track down each one of those. We always had a number of these reports on file.

Comment

Re: Peter Stockhausen's Chess Collection

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
          I'm not sure in this case if its helpful to denigrate the police.

(...)

The other legal question here would be if the person selling his collection has the legal right of ownership to do so. That would be a concern to anyone paying for these items.
          Nihil obstat.

Edit: I meant this sardonically, as in the other post, but see now that it could be interpreted literally. In brief, if the bureaucracy is galvanized, it is more likely to enforce Zeljko's "other legal question" (which is easy to find), rather than resolve the missing person (which might be difficult). That's how bureaucracies work. To say so is not to denigrate them, but to recognize their natures.

It's not every year one gets to use that. I've been blessed with it twice in the same day.

So--should we have a blindfold chess tournament walking the hills around Banff, hoping there isn't a body-in-car-wreckage to find at the bottom of a cliff? Has there ever been a chess tournament at Banff?
          Last edited by Jonathan Berry; Monday, 20th July, 2009, 11:52 PM. Reason: Sardonic

Comment

Re: eBay Item from Peter Stockhausen's Family??

caveat emptor - something you can use every day

Comment

Working...
            X