Toronto Labour Day Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Labour Day Tournament

Does anyone have information on the Toronto Labour Day tournament for 2009?

Thanks,

Rick

Re: Toronto Labour Day Tournament

Originally posted by Rick Garel View Post
    Does anyone have information on the Toronto Labour Day tournament for 2009?

Thanks,

Rick
    This forum had. Use "Search This Forum" to get it.

Comment

http://gtachessevents.memberlodge.com

2009 Toronto Labour Day
      Open Chess Tournament
      September 5th, 6th & 7th (Sat, Sun & Mon)
      Macedonian Community Hall
      76 Overlea Blvd Toronto

Style: 6 round Swiss in 5 sections:
      OPEN (w/ U2300 -- FIDE-rated), U2200, U2000, U1800, U1600 (w/ U1400 & UNR)

Rounds: 11:00AM & 5:30PM on Saturday, 10:00AM and 4:30PM on Sunday & Monday

Time Control: 40/2, SD/1

Byes: Maximum of 2 in rounds 1-5

Entry Fees: $75 if payment is received in advance
      $80 if registered in advance but paying onsite
      $90 cash only onsite
      AMATEUR: $30 Adult, $25 Junior (under 20) (for U1800 and U1600 only)
      (Amateur entries not eligible for cash prizes & do not contribute to prize fund)

Discount 1: $20 less for Juniors (under 20), Seniors (60 and older), Women, and FMs.
      $30 less for Juniors (under 12), and IMs. Free entry for GMs.
      No discount for Amateur players; only one discount per player.

Discount 2: $5 discount per tournament to play in both Labour Day and Thanksgiving Open.
      This discount applies to all players.

Registrants after 10:30AM are not guaranteed to be paired by 11:00AM

In advance by mail to: Bryan Lamb 95 Ferncliffe Crescent, Markham ON L3S4N6
      Make cheque payable to Bryan Lamb. No postdated cheque please.

Email registration to bryan.lamb@rogers.com. Email registrants who haven’t paid must arrive onsite before 10:30AM to pay or will be charged the onsite fee.

Email Money Transfer also accepted. Please send to bryan.lamb@rogers.com

Deadline for advance registration: September 4th at 9:00PM.

Membership: CFC membership must be current. Renewal and tournament membership payments accepted onsite prior to playing.

PRIZES: $7,000
      (Based on 150 non-amateur players or 70 %)
      1st place in Open Section - Prize of $1,000 Guaranteed!

Open section prizes based on entire tournament.
      Unrated players may only play for Open prizes or Unrated prize in U1600 section.

Other Info: No Smoking. Please bring Chess Sets and Clocks.
      Organizer & TD: Bryan Lamb [905.554.4548 or 416.904.5938] bryan.lamb@rogers.com

Comment

Thanks Gary.

Comment

Re: Toronto Labour Day Tournament - Pre-registered List?

Alex ( since I know Bryan doesn't follow ChessTalk ):

The Toronto Labour Day tournament is only 1 1/2 wks. away. Is there going to be a pre-registered list posted on the website or here?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Alex ( since I know Bryan doesn't follow ChessTalk ):

The Toronto Labour Day tournament is only 1 1/2 wks. away. Is there going to be a pre-registered list posted on the website or here?

Bob
            Hi Bob,

There wasn't a list ready a few days ago when I talked to Bryan, but I'll ask him when we're closer to the tournament. Labour Day Tournament has been the single biggest annual event in Toronto and everyone knows it's a huge success, I don't think there's a concern with numbers or competition of any sort.

I do know that there's a group of 8 of us (so far) from the Hart House Chess Club that will be there for sure though ;)
            And I already paid my entry fee!

See you all there,

Alex F.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
              There wasn't a list ready a few days ago when I talked to Bryan, but I'll ask him when we're closer to the tournament.
              Hi Alex,

Please discuss an enforced game-scoresheets collection too :D

I'm planning for Thanksgiving tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Gladstone View Post
                PRIZES: $7,000
                (Based on 150 non-amateur players or 70 %)
                1st place in Open Section - Prize of $1,000 Guaranteed!
                The Toronto Labour Day was always my favourite Toronto-area tournament. If I could travel to Toronto for the long weekend, I would to play in that tournament.

One question for the organizer(s): Why base the prize fund on 150 non-amateur players, when last year the tournament only had 142 players total? Wouldn't it be better to base it on roughly the number of non-amateur players that registered last year to make the prize money a little more accurate?

Otherwise, you may as well state that the prize fund is $100,000 based on a whole lot more players... ;)
                No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post

One question for the organizer(s): Why base the prize fund on 150 non-amateur players, when last year the tournament only had 142 players total? Wouldn't it be better to base it on roughly the number of non-amateur players that registered last year to make the prize money a little more accurate?

Otherwise, you may as well state that the prize fund is $100,000 based on a whole lot more players... ;)
                  Good questions and good points Jordan. You are actually questionning the concept of tournaments with "prize funds based on X participants", that I have already written about in HPE.

Comment

good luck with the tournament this year

Comment

The Toronto Labour Day was always my favourite Toronto-area tournament. If I could travel to Toronto for the long weekend, I would to play in that tournament.

LOL! I love how you are comparing a 8 player difference in prize money to a $100,000 prize pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon Pimentel View Post
                        LOL! I love how you are comparing a 8 player difference in prize money to a $100,000 prize pool.
                        Sometimes to make a point a thing or two may have to be exagerated, otherwise some people wearing the wrong glasses or no glasses at all have difficulties to see things unless they are big enough.
                        If you have better figures why don't you come up with them ? Out of 142 players last year, how many exactly were "non-amateurs" ? 100, 110, 120 ? Yes it can be a difference of only 8 (unlikely) but also 30 or 50, resulting in a prize fund reduced by 40 or 50%, depending on the fixed expenses the organizer has to pay for.

This is a real issue because in the past organizers with "based prize funds" have often been too optimistic with their projections. They use inflated prize funds to attract people, and then deflate the prize fund according to the actual participation. But those participants have paid the full entry, not a reduced one to match the reduced prizes.

This is a recipe to lose customers (players) in the long run. You give back less then what the players paid for and expected and you let them absorb the financial deficit even though they are not responsible for the turnout (quite the opposite: they showed up!). If an organizer makes unreasonable projections thus raising expectations, or does not work hard enough (or efficiently enough) to attract people and reach his goals (talking in general I am not saying it is the case here), shouldn't he be responsible to give the prizes he attracted people with ? (At least it is my theory. But on this message board, there is another theory running, saying the organizer can do whatever he wants without being ever responsible... It is the CFC that is responsible...or the players that didn't show up...)

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                          Sometimes to make a point a thing or two may have to be exagerated, otherwise some people wearing the wrong glasses or no glasses at all have difficulties to see things unless they are big enough.
                          If you have better figures why don't you come up with them ? Out of 142 players last year, how many exactly were "non-amateurs" ? 100, 110, 120 ? Yes it can be a difference of only 8 (unlikely) but also 30 or 50, resulting in a prize fund reduced by 40 or 50%, depending on the fixed expenses the organizer has to pay for.

This is a real issue because in the past organizers with "based prize funds" have often been too optimistic with their projections. They use inflated prize funds to attract people, and then deflate the prize fund according to the actual participation. But those participants have paid the full entry, not a reduced one to match the reduced prizes.

This is a recipe to lose customers (players) in the long run. You give back less then what the players paid for and expected and you let them absorb the financial deficit even though they are not responsible for the turnout (quite the opposite: they showed up!). If an organizer makes unreasonable projections thus raising expectations, or does not work hard enough (or efficiently enough) to attract people and reach his goals (talking in general I am not saying it is the case here), shouldn't he be responsible to give the prizes he attracted people with ? (At least it is my theory. But on this message board, there is another theory running, saying the organizer can do whatever he wants without being ever responsible... It is the CFC that is responsible...or the players that didn't show up...)
                          LOL AGAIN @ your lengthy reply!! MY ONLY POINT IN MY PREVIOUS POST JUST IN CASE PEOPLE HAVEN'T BEEN FOLLOWING WHAT I SAID WAS AIMED AT THE COMPARISON MADE BY JORDAN, THATS IT THATS ALL BUT THANKS FOR THE OTHERWISE HEFTY REPLY THANKS JEAN FOR ENLIGHTENING ME ON THE MATTER........

regards and p.s. congrats on winning the Closed

Sheldon

Comment

One question for the organizer(s): Why base the prize fund on 150 non-amateur players, when last year the tournament only had 142 players total?
                            Are we pessimists here?

The PcW Toronto Open boosted players and thus more than 150 will come :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              Are we pessimists here?

The PcW Toronto Open boosted players and thus more than 150 will come :)
                              PWC Toronto Open was a private sponsored event, so it attracted more than what was expected.

I totally agree with Jean Hebert's!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X