Canadian Closed website at MonRoi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Closed website at MonRoi

Actually FIDE doesn't like Zonals having more than 1 round per day. The only way the Women's was allowed to was because Hal told FIDE that it was either 2 rounds a day or not at all, based on speaking with many of the high-rated women.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
      Actually FIDE doesn't like Zonals having more than 1 round per day. The only way the Women's was allowed to was because Hal told FIDE that it was either 2 rounds a day or not at all, based on speaking with many of the high-rated women.
      Obviously FIDE doesn't like it, but they would allow it. Anyway, we are only talking about saving one day, not a big deal really.

The CFC should allow the organizer the choice of the type of tournament they would like to run. Some years, it could be a round robin, if the organizer had the cash. To rely on entry fees really sucks, but that is just the reality of Canadian Chess.

Comment

In general I think organizers treat the CFC rules on a tournament as a "starting point" ... nothing stops someone from bidding on a Closed run as a round-robin, and if the Governors vote to accept it (since it's non-compliant the Exec can't just approve it) then they effectively waive the existing rules and approve the proposed ones, for that event only.

I'd love to see a round-robin Closed again some day, personally... How much money would you need to do it right, these days? $20k at least I would think, and that's with a relatively small prize fund.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I would like to see a prize fund of at least $10,000.

I would like to see the players receive $40 per day for food.

I would like to see the players receive free accommodations.

So, if you could do all of that for a 12 player round robin, you would need around $22,000 (if players were willing to double up on accommodations).

If it were in Edmonton or Calgary, the site would be very inexpensive. Total cost at either club would only be $1,100.

So, for around $30,000, you could do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
            around $30,000
            = qualification tournaments contribution + fundraising events + some sponsorship + good people :)

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
              Ok,more then I thought. But I still looked a little further and Denmark, Ukraine, and Austria all look like they have Closed Swisses and Switzerland uses round-robin format but only holds it once every two years. Also, Germany and Israel look to be Closed Swisses as well unless they have serious problems attracting players to their national championship(they are chess powerhouses). The format we are using right now is pretty much an open swiss especially when you consider the CFC ratings are becoming quite inflated. Anyone else think that our ratings are getting a bit too high? I'd be interested if someone did some statistics on the ratings compared to a few years ago.
              I actually, happen to think that the Canadian Championship is a closed Swiss, because you could get around 100 players if it was an open one. Right now its open to 2200+ players which only accounts for probably around 5% of the players in the country.
              As to the other championships that you mentioned, I just know the format for the Israeli championship. It is a Swiss but as you mentioned it is a closed one. It is only held once every two years and before each one there is a long qualifying cycle. GMs (or maybe just the highest rated ones) get in it automatically but everyone else has to qualify starting from different stages of the cycle, depending on the ratings.

Comment

Britain has held its Championship as a Swiss system Open since 1949. There is a floor of about 2300 rating or so, with about 50 to 60 players.

And if one doesn't make that but still wants to play, then there are other events in the same place for class players. Sort of a British Open by sections for Brits only (and other Commonwealth players if they wish to play). :) :)

Comment

Working...
                X