By Fabrizio Zavatarelli

Moravian Chess, 2019

Nikolai Rezvov, from Child Burglar to Grandmaster

By Sergei Tkachenko

Elk and Ruby, 2018

The Tragic Life and Short Chess Career of James A. Leonard

By John Hilbert

McFarland, 2014

I'm sure you're serious, but how can anyone read those titles and not think its an April Fool's post?

Comment

Upcoming Chess Books

September 10, 2019

John, those are genuine titles of genuine books. The Zavatarelli book was just published and as I was reading about it, I had the whimsical idea of putting it with two other depressing titles.

These are the descriptions, if anyone seriously wants to buy them:

Author: Zavatarelli, Fabrizio
        Title: The Gloomy Fate and Romantic Chess of Arthur Towle Marriott

Biography and 156 annotated games of A. T. Marriott with comments mostly from contemporary sources. Indexes of players and openings, career record. Arthur Towle Marriott, 1859-1884, was strong chess player from Nottingham. Fabrizio Zavatarelli is a well-known chess historian, his works are mainly devoted to the 19th century. He wrote the books Ignaz Kolisch: The Life and Chess Career, Serafino Dubois and (with Hans Renette) Neumann, Hirschfeld and Suhle. 2 pictures. Edition Forgotten Chess Players' Career no.1/2019.

Author: Tkachenko, Sergei
        Title: Nikolai Rezvov, from Child Burglar to Grandmaster

Rezvov lived a long and tragic life: it was at the age of nearly 90 that he was awarded the titles of Ukrainian chess composition grandmaster and FIDE chess composition international master, and his love of chess kept him going through life as a child laborer, WWII solder, prisoner of war and later prisoner in the Soviet Union. His compositions appeared in leading chess magazines such as Chess in the USSR, 64 – Chess Review and The Problemist, and he won many prizes. Several of these compositions were produced jointly with Sergei Tkachenko. The readers will find these studies and problems highly educational, illustrating many theoretical and combinational ideas that can be used in the readers’ own games. Some of them are simply breathtaking in their beauty and originality.

Author: Hilbert, John S.
        Title: The Tragic Life and Short Chess Career of James A. Leonard 1841-1862

The Civil War affected the entire American landscape in ways not always fully considered. It determined the political future of a nation—but also its scientific and cultural development. The war cost America many of its best and brightest in every realm. James A. Leonard was one such loss: a brilliant up-and-coming chess player in 1861–62 before he made the decision to serve his country during wartime.

Born November 6, 1841, Leonard was the son of a poor Irish immigrant—but even a poor child could play the game of kings. He grew up in a time when interest in chess was experiencing a revival, and contemporaries such as Paul Morphy, Eugene Delmar and Leonard’s mentor Philip Richardson captured much interest. Leonard defeated a number of the country’s best players and was widely viewed as the “New Morphy.”

This biography discusses what is known of Leonard’s life but concentrates primarily on his talent and his sadly shortened career. Game scores and diagrams from 96 games are included, with details of place, date and opponents.

I have a weakness for attractive chess book titles. I have bought The Fighting Fajarowicz and The Double Queen’s Gambit (openings) on name alone. Similarly, Chess Chimes from Prague and Running the Gauntlet (problems).

Comment

I can vouch for the James Leonard book. Great book and bonus was he was a great blindfold talent who died in the Civil War. Double bonus is the book was given to me.

Comment

The Nikolai Rezvov book sounds like a great read. Can you imagine being a survivor of all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
              The Nikolai Rezvov book sounds like a great read. Can you imagine being a survivor of all that.
              Yes, it is a nice little book including 100 interesting studies plus a 25 page (small format) introduction with the story of his life.
              Diagrams are very clear with the solution always following on the turn of the page.
              I received it as a birthday present :)

A good review can be seen at amazon.com

Comment

Working...
              X