Yves Casaubon R.I.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yves Casaubon R.I.P.

Yves Casaubon has been an integral part of the Chess'n Math Association and a good friend for close to 24 years. The computer skills he possessed in the early days of the organization allowed us to soar while the rest of the chess world was beginning to dabble in the technology.

He brought to our organization knowledge, skill and a passion that one rarely sees today. You would never get the brush-off from Yves. If you had a chess related problem, he would spend the time with you to explain how to do things correctly. He would walk you through the solution step by step. No question was silly and everyone merited his time. For scholastic organizers he was your guide and help-line for ratings and tournament announcements.

In my case it was frequent for many years that he would get a call from me asking for help (actually it was more like...HELP!!!!!!)... he always answered the phone :) ... and within the hour he was at the office! In recent years he installed a program that allowed him to view and work on all our computers from home, so he didn't have to come running into the office every time I got stuck!

Not only was he invaluable and irreplaceable at the CMA, he was a pillar of the chess community in Quebec. An International Arbiter and the most experienced tournament director around, he was chief arbiter at all the major events in Quebec..including the recently completed Quebec Open. He never had a bad thing to say about anyone and when you told him something confidential you were sure it would not go any further. Bright, helpful and kind to his fellow man...that was Yves!

He was a real fighter...right to the end. He passed away yesterday of stomach cancer...but only AFTER Jean Hébert became Canadian Champion! Chess has lost a giant, I have lost a very good friend and the Chess'n Math Association has lost a member of the family.

Our thoughts go out to his long-time mate, Claudine

Re: Yves Casaubon R.I.P.

What a sad news, even if it was expected. The last time I talked to him was just after the last round the Quebec Open. He did not look well at all, but he said he was doing OK despite the fact that he had spent the previous night at the hospital after a bad fall. Of course I wanted to believe him.

Larry knew the man much better than I did but i can only fully agree with his description of a kind and genuinely generous man. His presence and contribution to chess will be sorely missed. Naming an important tournament after him would be totally appropriate, even essential.

Comment

Yves was an extremely decent and fair man. It's a sad loss for his loved ones, CMA and the chess community.

When some time has passed, I would hope that Jean's suggestion might be considered. It seems that a special event is in order.

Comment

Yves was such a nice and great gentleman.
        He has been on my heart and in my prayers.

Comment

OUR CONDOLENCES -- Re: Yves Casaubon R.I.P.

Yves was a very hard working Tournament Director.

He was an inspiration to other chess organizers.

Our condolences on the loss of Yves Casaubon, I.A.

May you rest in peace dear friend!

The Dutton Family

Mark and Christine

Comment

Canadian and Quebec chess have tragically lost a giant with the passing of Yves Casaubon. His many chess friends and colleagues, of which I was privileged to be one, are in mourning. Yves' tireless efforts on behalf of chess, his sincere humanity, his caring manner, his great patience when dealing with chess questions and problems, and his warm interaction with all and sundry, whether in a youth event or an International tournament with many Grandmasters in attendance, will certainly not be forgotten.

Rest In Peace, Dear Yves, and may you enjoy your just rewards.

Comment

I only had one encounter with Yves, and it reflected what people have been saying.

It was at the 2008 Montreal Canadian Open. I had been to the all-day CFC meeting this day, and then played down in the round later 'til I think we were one of the last players in the hall. It was a tough game and I won. And though I hate to admit it , I am aging, and was pretty tired by the end of the evening. I went home and slept like a log.

The next day I came to the hall and checked my pairings and the standings. I was surprised to see that it was recorded as a draw for yesterday's game, though I had won it. Then, to my horror, I realized that in my fatigue the night before, I had forgotten to mark down my win.

I went to the TD, Richard Berube, to apologize, and see if anything could be done. He said, of course, that it was too late to change that day's pairings, but that it would be corrected. He went in search of Yves.

When Richard explained the problem, Yves said no problem and the ball got passed to him. I was apologetic about the extra work I was causing, but he was most pleasant and indicated that mistakes happen. He took me to the computer room and fixed it right away. There was no indication he was frustrated at having to go back and change the information, and he certainly didn't in any way make me feel guilty about my mistake. I felt the whole issue was very professionally handled by he and Richard.

So my one experience with Yves reflects what others have said - kind and competent.

Bob
              Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 17th August, 2009, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Terrible news! Yves was always fair and nice to everyone in the chess milieu. He was a 'goto' guy whenever you needed information or help at any chess tournament. I knew he was ill but didn't know the extent of his illness. I too, saw him at the COQ and noticed that he looked tired. But I am sure he was happy to be there at the tournament. He will truly be missed...

Salut Yves...

Comment

Sorry to hear of Yves' passing Larry. I didn't know him well but I certainly knew of his reputation.

Heaven has some great players. Yves is probably pairing round 2 of a category 20 round robin right now.

Comment

What a terrible loss for his family and the chess community as a whole.

I had a long talk with Yves on the bus before one of the latter rounds of the Quebec Open last month. He was planning his retirement in the near future. While he looked rather frail compared to the mid-90's when I had last seen him, I didn't think he was on his last legs.

I will always remember Yves as being one of the most humble referees... his grace, knowledge and professionalism came in handy in many situations.

My sincere condolences to Yves' family, to Chess & Maths, and to all who were touched by Yves helping hand.

Jordan
                    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

For those who can read some French :

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1904

JPR

Comment

A sad day for chess in Canada.

My condolences.

I remember Yves from my earliest days playing in CMA tournaments. He masterfully directed the events and made sure all the airheads we were found their tables, always patient, always professional, and always devoted to the task. I remember that, as a little kid at these tournaments, Yves would be the arbiter for the "top" tables, and I aspired to one day sit at these tables.

We will miss you, Yves.
                        Pascal

Comment

A very sad news. Yves is only 60 while the average life expectancy of Canadian is ~80.

May Yves rest peacefully in the Heaven and may all the members of Canadian chess community live in good health.

Comment

Working...
                          X