Do we have an elephant in the room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
    Congratulations on your title GM Kaiqi Yang.

The naked display of malice and envy toward you by Rene Preotu in this thread utterly disgraceful. I have no idea where we find such creatures.
    +1

Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

Actually, one of the things I like most about chess is there's no requirement to be politically correct in this manner. It's very possible to acknowledge that he fully complied with the rules and has earned a title under those rules without any issues, but at the same time think those rules no longer reflect the spirit in which they were originally created.
      Actually, is there any more irritatingly overused phrase these days than 'politically correct'? I'm not talking about being politically correct. I'm talking about simple, ordinary, everyday human decency and courtesy. I'm talking about NOT dragging someone into the middle of the room and attempting to publicly humiliate them simply because you disagree with a process to which many thousands have been subjected over the years. RP could quite easily have made his arguments about reforming FIDE title requirements without mentioning, or even alluding, to Mr. Yang, or any specific individual for that matter. But oh no!! It had to be: 'Look at me, look at me everybody - there's an elephant in the room and I, the great and marvellous RP, caught him all by myself!'

And, actually, RP went further than what you've said, David. I believe Alex F. picked up on this also. RP implied that ***maybe*** there was just ***the tiniest whiff*** of something underhanded (nudge-nudge, wink-wink) in how Mr. Yang got his title. That's bullshit and it's bullshit to treat somebody like that in public without rock-solid proof.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

But is there a room in the elephant?

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Nicholson View Post
          But is there a room in the elephant?
          If there is then maybe we could lock up RP there and throw away the key.
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Absolutely disagree with the way Rene was treated in this thread. Ugly posts like
            "The naked display of malice and envy toward you by Rene Preotu in this thread utterly disgraceful. I have no idea where we find such creatures." get applauded. Envy of what, when? Creatures?

Its a thin line between freedom of speech/opinion, and libel. I don't see that Rene has ever crossed it.

Ian Findlay "Worse, there were cases of people buying their norms through bribery. I think this is rare or does not happen anymore."

People do buy titles, norms and rating points. Google Russian businessman Afromeev, who boasted he could give his driver or his cat a high fide rating. Alexandru Crisan is an older case. Tournaments in Alushta Ukraine. Shkuro with his 2800+ blitz rating. These are proven years long cases, cases where one norm/game is in question we never hear about.. I am sure that buying and prearranging games is a lot more popular then computer cheating. These first/third saturday events are also considered suspect. I never really played abroad, but what I heard is the same as what Victor Plotkin describes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
              Absolutely disagree with the way Rene was treated in this thread. ...
              Nikolay, how do you feel about how K. Yang was treated? The link is an interesting fyi.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/mr-fir...gy-in-budapest

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

Nikolay, how do you feel about how K. Yang was treated? The link is an interesting fyi.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/mr-fir...gy-in-budapest
                I have likely seen this article on chessbase, years ago, was even invited to play there as a 13-14 year old.
                The list of players who played in Afromeev's tournaments (and against Afromeev), whose events are absolutely bogus (some only happened on paper) is not as impressive, but many well known grandmasters took part. I remember seeing some Sambuev-Afromeev game while preparing.

If Rene wrote about me "It looks like he found an easy path to become a GM. ...", or if someone ever accused me of cheating/doing something illegal, unethical - I would stand my ground if I thought the statement is false, or apologize/agree with Rene if I thought he was right about some things. So as I see it. Kaiqi wasn't accused of anything (so I don't see how he was mistreated), and Rene is welcome to have his opinion.

Comment

Congratulations to GM Yang! In two of those tournaments, the PGNs are available with the tournament file. Perhaps if someone has any questions, those games can be reviewed. I believe that the first norm does not have a PGN attached to it as that was before FIDE made it mandatory to submit PGN of games in all norm events.

Comment

Absolutely disagree with the way Rene was treated in this thread. Ugly posts like
                    "The naked display of malice and envy toward you by Rene Preotu in this thread utterly disgraceful. I have no idea where we find such creatures." get applauded. Envy of what, when? Creatures?

Its a thin line between freedom of speech/opinion, and libel. I don't see that Rene has ever crossed it.

Ian Findlay "Worse, there were cases of people buying their norms through bribery. I think this is rare or does not happen anymore."

People do buy titles, norms and rating points. Google Russian businessman Afromeev, who boasted he could give his driver or his cat a high fide rating. Alexandru Crisan is an older case. Tournaments in Alushta Ukraine. Shkuro with his 2800+ blitz rating. These are proven years long cases, cases where one norm/game is in question we never hear about.. I am sure that buying and prearranging games is a lot more popular then computer cheating. These first/third saturday events are also considered suspect. I never really played abroad, but what I heard is the same as what Victor Plotkin describes.
                    Nikolay, your story is posted in the wrong place, I am not involved in your story. You can start a new thread if you want further discussion, no here in additional to someone's apparently attacking towards me. If you feel so sorry for Mr. Preuto, could you please at least explain for him, what is exactly the meaning of "do we have an elephant in the room"?

For those who believe it is an "easy path", I suggest you to try it out, not just "heard about it".

Comment

Kaiqi, all kinds of topics were brought up in this thread, I was answering to Ian. I don't think its out of place. I do know a lot more of how things are done in Tula Russia, then in Novi Sad Serbia.

Rene already explained the meaning of the 'elephant'. He was wondering why there were so few 'congratulations' messages and thought maybe everyone knows something he doesn't, so he did his investigation on fide.com. Like this thread shows, it seems he was wrong.. nobody knows anything.

I am not sure why you are upset. If there is no wrongdoing, and you think that scoring 7.5/9 against lower rated opposition is not easier then 6/9 in most other tournaments, that is perfectly reasonable. I personally haven't tried either so have no opinion. Rene seems to think its an "easy path". So what?

Comment

Nikolay, if you do know any suspicious tournaments, or if you are personally questioning about the FIDE’s norm system, you should officially report to FIDE, not players who attended.

To be honest, I prefer playing chess with you rather than behind the computer typing. I see you also on the list of Zonal this April, see you on the chess board.

Comment

I would like to congratulate Kaiqi Yang on his recent attainment of the grandmaster title. I believe I made a comment previously in another thread possibly on the CFC board or on chesstalk about the fact that he had attained the title norms and just had to bring up his rating to get the title. Chesstalk discredits itself when it allows threads which contain personal attacks on decent people to persist. I was not aware of this milestone being reached until Hal Bond informed me when I picked him up on the way to the Canadian Sports Tourism Alliance conference in Ottawa last Monday the 18th of March. I just returned home about an hour and a half ago.

Comment

I think the easiest way to solve the Elephant in the room problem is to run a tournament with The Cat In The Hat, the black cat, the dark horse ,the dog in the dog house ,the monkey on a string ,
                            Tiger in your tank, Donkey with no tail, Horse of a Different Color,A Black Panther and the cow that jumps over the moon.

Or Organize a Canadian GM only tournament and See if all our GMs are GMs or just puppets in a show.
                            Last edited by John Brown; Friday, 22nd March, 2019, 06:14 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Last edited by Serge Archambault; Wednesday, 4th September, 2019, 09:04 AM.

Comment

The only people who posted in this thread and understood the real meaning of my original post are Victor and Nikolay because they played in GM norm tournaments and they know how difficult is to score a GM norm in a strong field tournament.

He was wondering why there were so few 'congratulations' messages and thought maybe everyone knows something he doesn't, so he did his investigation on fide.com. Like this thread shows, it seems he was wrong.. nobody knows anything.
                                Nikolay explained it again and he is right. I apologize for my mistake.

Originally posted by Serge Archambault View Post
                                You have been told repeatedly and don't seem to want to understand. All your answers can be found in those little sentences I was told a long time ago by a well-known FIDE official. "We, at FIDE, don't care. As long as the National Federation supports the application, we grant the title.". Of course, over the years, some were denied. But not for people that did follow the rules. Your approach to this "problem" is just plain wrong.
                                I didn't mean to insult anybody or to question the FIDE norm application. I wanted to support my claim (not a "suspicious interpretation") that it was an easy path so I posted more data to prove it: all 2018-2019 tournaments (not a "horrible statistics"). I also shouldn't use the Elephant in the room title (not a "weird title") but I assumed that people can goggle it if they don't know the meaning of it (the same for the Emperor New Clothes quote).

Originally posted by Amy Xu View Post
                                Kaiqi is just one of many chess players who have ups and downs in their career, they have uncountable pressure, pains and tears. They suffer from stupid blunders and loses. I can totally feel for them.
                                I agree with you because I've seen it myself. I apologize if my post hurt your feelings but I didn't mean this.
                                Last edited by Rene Preotu; Friday, 22nd March, 2019, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X