Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Chess Challenge Easy Guidelines

Hello,

I read the OCC rules but was looking to give a few easy guidances to my child. Can one of the organisers answer the following please:

1. Are players required/encouraged to record moves?
    2. Can children leave playing area between rounds to eat?
    3. Looks like rounds will start at different times by grade in the big room... should children stay in the playing area?
    4. Are there washrooms inside the playing area? (just wondering if I need to be watching entrance to ensure safety)

Hello Tony,
    I will be the chief arbiter and was also last year.
    1.Players are not required to write their moves though a fun booklet is supplied every year with score sheets ready for use.
    2.Yes. Players are required to leave the playing hall once their game is finished.
    3.Washrooms for use by the players are just outside the playing hall.This area is off-limits to observers,parents unless a child requires special assistance.

Comment

Thanks, Mario.

Judging by the start times, not every grade will start rounds at the same time. When players leave the playing area, is there a place they should wait for wallchart?

Comment

Yes there is a large hall where the parents wait and standings are posted.

Comment

Is there online list of registered players by grade?
          Are players & parents going to have lunch break?

Comment

In past events there has been no lunch period set but there is plenty of time between rounds to have a bite.
            More info:Peter Bernotas (Provincial Coordinator), ontariochesschallenge@chess-math.org, (416) 460-7089

Comment

Thanks, Mario.

Comment

Is there a preregistered list?

Comment

what's the ileagal move rule for OCC, I noticed there is penalty for CCC Final, but not in the abstracted OCC Rule info

Comment

Attendance? Results?

I don't see them online:
                    https://chess-math.org/2019-ontario-chess-challenge-0
                    or
                    https://chess-math.org/tournaments-rated-list

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                      Only saw several crosstables posted on facebook by Mike Ivanov.

Comment

Hi Folks,

There were 540 youngsters taking part yesterday at the Ontario Chess Challenge. There were 502 at the Quebec event that was held yesterday also...yep over 1,000 youngsters taking part in all. In Quebec, for the first time, we posted results and pairings live...something like chess-results.com but on our own site...it proved to be a big hit! We will be doing the same thing for Ontario next year.

We hope to get the results up on our site by tomorrow. Once they are posted, I will provide a link here.

For the Quebec results you can go to: https://echecs.org/current-pairings

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                          Hi Folks,

In Quebec, for the first time, we posted results and pairings live...something like chess-results.com but on our own site...it proved to be a big hit!

Larry
                          We have been doing this for a few years! Website stat. told us that there were many more viewers in the slow game tournaments. Not sure if it was just because the games were longer, some people had the chance to view a few times during one game.

Comment

I think that qualification rules for grades 9-12 should change in order to have more players in those sections.
                            In each grade there are top 10 players who are automatically qualified for the tournament, yet we see that in some sections there were less than 10 players.
                            In Mississauga I think there were 9 players in grade 12 section and in Quebec event only 3.
                            To increase number of players in higher grades I would suggest to allow top 2 players in qualification tournaments for grades 9-10 to qualify and top 3 players for grades 11 & 12.
                            If someone is qualified it doesn't mean that they will show up at the tournament, as we can see from top 10 experience, but at least chances that there will be more players in higher grade sections will be better.
                            If something doesn't change, soon we are going to have a player who just show up at the tournament and wins paid trip to the finals without playing a single game.

Comment

The Ontario Chess Challenge has been rated: https://chess-math.org/ratings/pairings/13497

Corinna: looks like I will have to visit your site on a regular basis from now on :)

Alex: I will forward your suggestion to our gang. Thanks!

Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X