Kalev Pugi 2019 Applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kalev Pugi 2019 Applications

The Kalev Pugi Fund is now taking applications until August 15, 2019.

In order to apply or obtain more information, please follow this link :
    https://www.emailmeform.com/builder/...W2dAff67UMrjug

As a reminder, applications will be based on a past tournament, so anyone under 18 who participated in a major tournament in the past year is eligible.

Please use this form to submit all applications. Applications emailed to the Kalev Pugi committee will not be considered.
    We would also appreciate if everyone could forward this link to other potential applicants.

Thanks,

Felix Dumont

Thanks to all participants! As always we had an incredible field of applicants, so much that we will be awarding 4 bursaries this year (~$230) each.

The winners this year are:
    - Svitlana Demchenko
    - Michelle Hua
    - Rohan Talukdar
    - Anthony Atanasov

Congratulations! We will be mailing cheques shortly.

Comment

I notice there have been no nominations for the 3 Pugi Committee positions at the CFC AGM. Not sure if it's too late or what happens if no one is nominated.
      In any case, may I nominate you?
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

These are very deserving players. What size of donation would have to be made to the Chess Foundation for the fund to give out $1,000 to each player (each year). This could be a long-term corporate fundraising goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
          I notice there have been no nominations for the 3 Pugi Committee positions at the CFC AGM. Not sure if it's too late or what happens if no one is nominated.
          In any case, may I nominate you?
          At the moment Felix Dumont and Christina Tao will be on the committee. I will ask the board to ratify my decisions once we find a third person and we verify that Christina will serve. She is in China leading the World Cadet Chess Championship Canadian team and may be having issues with email as some accounts are blocked in China.

Comment

All the winners (BTW I think they are all very deserving) are from Ontario....Felix, do you care to give us some details of the process?

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
              These are very deserving players. What size of donation would have to be made to the Chess Foundation for the fund to give out $1,000 to each player (each year). This could be a long-term corporate fundraising goal.
              Paul could give you a better estimate - but I'm going to say another $40k to the Fund would yield a total of approximately $3k per year.

Comment

Eric, that would be just under a million assuming a return of 3% on the capital.
                Please send the cheque to me payable to the CFC.
                Paul Leblanc

Comment

Eric, that would be just under a million assuming a return of 3% on the capital.
                  I'm not sure if you're joking, Paul, but 3% on $1,000,000 is $30K

Comment

No Fred, I slipped a digit. We only need $100,000
                    Paul Leblanc

Comment

Sorry Paul, I don't have that much in my rrsp. Try asking all those masters who came up in the CMA system and now have made their millions in the stock market or working in finance or programming.

Comment

All applications were reviewed by Michael Lo, Christina and I. Criteria include results from major events, progression and more generally we try to get diversity in the recipients.

We have had good representation from multiple provinces in the past, but unfortunately this year we received fewer applications from outside of Ontario and were particularly impressed by the four winners.

I agree we should look into other proactive ways of getting more applications from outside of Ontario next year, regardless of whether this year was a statistical anomaly or not.

Comment

Working...
                        X