Michael McArthur Memorial Chess Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael McArthur Memorial Chess Tournaments

We will start our school year on September 14 with a memorial chess tournament dedicated to our beloved teacher, Michael McArthur, who passed away in March.

There will be two tournaments run concurrently.

--CMA rated tournament for Kindergarten to G.12 students
    --CFC/FIDE Rapid tournament for adults and students

Please see details and registration here.

The early bird deadline is on August 31. I would appreciate your earlier registration so that I can estimate better on the number of trophies (Everyone gets one). Thank you.

Hope you will all be there to honour "Mean Mike", who was not mean at all.

Corinna
    Last edited by Corinna Wan; Saturday, 17th August, 2019, 10:33 PM.

Its nice to see Mike's name attached to the youth tournaments that he used to love to be a part of.

Comment

There will be two tournaments run concurrently.

--CMA rated tournament for Kindergarten to G.12 students
      --CFC/FIDE Rapid tournament for adults and students

Please see details and registration here.

Here are some of the top players:

IM Shiyam Thavandiran, IM Artiom Samsonkin, FM Michael Humphreys
      NMs Sean Lei, Liam Henry, Harry Zhao
      Benjamin Lin, Anthony Atanasov

Comment

More top players

IM Arthur Calugar
        Jeffrey R Zhao

Comment

I will organize the players list and post it soon.
          In the mean time, Max Chen signed up.

Comment

We all know that Toronto is the centre of the universe - but shouldn't you put at least the name of the city in which the event is to be held in your original post - without counting on readers to have to click on the link to find the answer?

Comment

Thanks to Chess'n Math Association who sponsors the tournaments 3 trophies and 3 gift certificates of $150, $100 and $50.

Any suggestions on how to award these extra prizes?

Seneca Hill Chess offered a guaranteed prize fund of $1,600 for the Rapid Tournament, regardless of the number of participants. We welcome sponsors! :) Anyone?

Comment

Here is the link to the registered players list. https://senecahillchess.com/2019/08/...tered-players/

The latest addition: Youri Ochkoos

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                  Its nice to see Mike's name attached to the youth tournaments that he used to love to be a part of.
                  There is also a concurrent Rapid Tournament for adults. Will you play?

Comment

Although I would love to see Yuri, Artiom, Shiyam, and Michael (amongst others) I cannot play rapid at that level anymore. The stress is too much for me. I wish you all the best, many entries and success with your tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                      Although I would love to see Yuri, Artiom, Shiyam, and Michael (amongst others) I cannot play rapid at that level anymore. The stress is too much for me. I wish you all the best, many entries and success with your tournaments.
                      Thank you, Hans.
                      Last edited by Corinna Wan; Wednesday, 28th August, 2019, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Corinna Wan View Post
                        Thanks to Chess'n Math Association who sponsors the tournaments 3 trophies and 3 gift certificates of $150, $100 and $50.

Any suggestions on how to award these extra prizes?

Seneca Hill Chess offered a guaranteed prize fund of $1,600 for the Rapid Tournament, regardless of the number of participants. We welcome sponsors! :) Anyone?
                        Three trophies will be given to the Rapid tournament winners.

Three gift certificates will be given to the top three K-G.12 students in the Rapid tournament (if not top three overall).

There is also a bonus of $300 given by an anonymous sponsor. I will write more details later.

Comment

Some updates:

Tomorrow (Saturday) is the last day to register with the early bird fee! Registration here.

Very excited to get so many masters joining the commemoration! We now have 4 IM's, 3 FM's, 1 WIM, 3 NM's and 2 CM's Players list here.

Still hoping more people would sponsor our $1600 prize fund. We had $200 from GM Aman Hambleton!

I have yet to write the details of how to win the $300 bonus. It is a bonus for the clear first winner or a sole playoffs winner.
                          Last edited by Corinna Wan; Friday, 30th August, 2019, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Mohammed Hadid

We received your payment but not your form. Can you please resubmit the form. Does any of you happen to know Mohammed Hadid?

Please contact admin@senecahillchess.com

Comment

Michael McArthur Memorial Chess Tournaments is coming up in a week.
                              We composed a new banner. Can you name these people in the photographs?
                              Last edited by Corinna Wan; Friday, 6th September, 2019, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X