• Chess Boycotts

Chess Boycotts

August 25, 2019

In March, 2019, this from the European Chess Union:

ECU GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION ON BOYCOTTS

March 28, 2019

For the attention of the FIDE President and the FIDE Presidential Board

Dear Mr Dvorkovich and Board members,

The ECU General Assembly, meeting in Skopje on March 23rd, 2019 considered the refusal of the Iranian player Aryan Gholami to play an opponent from Israel in the seventh round of the Rilton Cup Blixt tournament which took place from 27 December 2018 to 5 January 2019 in Stockholm, Sweden.

The refusal was followed by unacceptable promotion and political exploitation which violates the main principles of sports and rules of FIDE. All the related material presented at the ECU General Assembly has sent already to FIDE by the International Director of the English Chess Federation Mr. Malcolm Pein.

After discussion, delegates unanimously agreed on the following resolution:

To request of the FIDE Presidential Board:

A statement that such individual boycotts will no longer be tolerated.

A resolution from the Board banning the practice of ‘ special pairings’ at the Chess Olympiads, FIDE tournaments and in all FIDE rated events. This refers to the practice of deliberately keeping players or teams from certain countries apart by adjusting the pairing software.

If required, to take such steps at the next General Assembly to ensure the two points above are on the agenda for the next FIDE GA.

http://www.europechess.org/ecu-gener...X8HnDMBbIitu3E

And this today from the FIDE website:

Official statement regarding the Buruciye International tournament

Sunday, 25 August 2019

FIDE

Lausanne, August 24th, 2019.-

The International Chess Federation confirms that we are investigating an incident involving the player Maria Gevorgyan. She is a Woman International Master and a three-time Armenian Women Chess Champion.

According to the player, she was invited to the Buruciye International Chess Tournament in Sivas (Turkey), and her travel arrangements had already been made. But in her complaint, Gevorgyan claims that the invitation was withdrawn on the grounds of her nationality.

As it is customary in these cases, FIDE initiated an inquiry ex-officio as soon as this incident came to our knowledge, and a formal complaint was received shortly after from the Armenian Chess Federation. We will ensure that this situation is promptly investigated, and we will hear the explanations from all the parties involved.

FIDE was founded under the motto "Gens Una Sumus": we are one family. Discrimination based on race, religion, ethnicity or nationality goes not only against FIDE policy but also against the most basic sportive principles, and will not be tolerated. If the investigation confirms that the player's rights have been violated, or she has been discriminated by her nationality, the most strict measures will be taken in accordance with the FIDE Statute.

https://www.fide.com/component/conte...ournament.html

In Montreal in 2017, a junior with a FIDE registry of IRI (Iran) was paired against a junior with a FIDE registry of ISR (Israel). From what I understand - the Iranian junior wanted to play, but a parent told him (ordered him?) not to. The Israeli was awarded the point by default. As far as I know, no further action was taken. The Iranian junior and his brother (also a junior) were quite active in Montreal chess between 2014 and 2017. Neither seems to have played since this 2017 event (which was FIDE rated).

Comment

Chess Boycotts

August 26, 2019

What I am afraid of is that a player will be forfeited because his government boycotts a certain country. This happened in the Grenke:

After starting off with two straight wins at the GRENKE Chess Open, Iranian prodigy Alireza Firouzja decided to forfeit his third round game as his opponent was an Israeli national: FM Or Bronstein . The laws of Iran forbid Iranian players from playing against Israelis. Had Firouzja played, he would have risked facing sanctions back in his home country. But forfeiting a game also cost him dearly — Firouzja seemed to have lost his composure in the next round as he simply left his rook en prise against 1945-rated Antonia Ziegenfuss. Surely one of the biggest upsets we'll see this year!

https://en.chessbase.com/post/irania...nke-chess-open

We have the World Cup tournament coming up on September 9. You can see the bracket at

https://www.fide.com/images/stories/...ree_100819.pdf

There is the potential there for conflicts in some of the later pairings. If there are forfeits, everyone loses.

Comment

At its Q2 meeting in Baku, Azerbaijan, the FIDE Presidential Board discussed the matter in detail and took a decision.

Q2PB-2019/26 To approve the publication of a resolution regarding boycott and sportsmanship.

The full text of Non-attendance resolution.

Comment

subject: Boycotts

The racist South African apartheid regime was expelled from FIDE in 1974 and returned to international competition in the 1992 Olympiad. This was part of a massive sporting boycott of South Africa and helped bring that odious regime to an end.

There is a good little short summary on When the boycott began to bite over here.

Following the Sharpeville Massacre of unarmed school children in 1960, local boycotts, much less peaceful political protest, were criminalized, everyone critical of the racist segregation laws were deemed terrorists, etc., etc., and the external boycott became much more important as a means to bring about peaceful change.

And in the end, the good guys won. Hell, yeah!
          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
            subject: Boycotts

The racist South African apartheid regime was expelled from FIDE in 1974 and returned to international competition in the 1992 Olympiad. This was part of a massive sporting boycott of South Africa and helped bring that odious regime to an end.

There is a good little short summary on When the boycott began to bite over here.

Following the Sharpeville Massacre of unarmed school children in 1960, local boycotts, much less peaceful political protest, were criminalized, everyone critical of the racist segregation laws were deemed terrorists, etc., etc., and the external boycott became much more important as a means to bring about peaceful change.

And in the end, the good guys won. Hell, yeah!

I am unsure what you are saying.

Are you recommending a boycott of Israel or maybe of IRAN? Not trying to be obtuse, just don't get the point of your post.

Comment

Ken:

I gave a most excellent example where a past boycott was implemented - that included a chess boycott - and contributed, in a modest way, to important social change. If you want to advocate for a boycott of a particular country today, then by all means make your case. I won't do it for you.

Depending on the country, I'm sure you'll get plenty of attention and/or censure. lol.
              Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                Ken:

I gave a most excellent example where a past boycott was implemented - that included a chess boycott - and contributed, in a modest way, to important social change. If you want to advocate for a boycott of a particular country today, then by all means make your case. I won't do it for you.

Depending on the country, I'm sure you'll get plenty of attention and/or censure. lol.

I advocate no boycott especially because I would be censured (I hope!) and start one of those long and useless discussions that never end!

Comment

Working...
                X